View Full Version : Seeking advice

Elexin
04-10-2005, 07:10 PM
I know there are warriors a-plenty... I know they aren't needed... but I have decided that a warrior is a complete change from my nice normal class choices.
Now I don't yet know if I plan to make a warrior here or elsewhere or what... or before or after I level that warlock I have sitting on a couple of realms... but curiosity is getting the better of me.

But the fact remains that curious or not, I have little or no knowledge of warriors.

Like all those infuriating people who make shiny lv60 alts and know nothing about them, I made a warrior on the test server (In my defense I picked a mage too, I have one of them and I know how they work... although I did give the poor little thing the most horrid set of elemental talents), and looked at the skills of the warriors (spellbooks with only one rank of a spell... is surprisingly intimidating) and the talent points and talent bought skills... and just sort of... stalled.

Okay so I was spamming asking for help to turn off my error messages, fix my screen from the nasty black stripe that decided to stick itself down the side (still didnt sort that out x_x ) but the fact remains that I don't have a clue.

And so the poor guy is sitting there, talentless.

To try and fix this nasty mess, I truly need to make a warrior of my own just to try and work them out a little.
Now I have a desire for dual wield... although as it will likely be a troll (simply because people expect me to go troll by now) it may also have a penchant for polearms. Trolls with spears look cool ;p

That doesn't really matter though... all that matters is that this is the warrior forum... and I seek advice.

Any advice for a potential warrior? ^^

TheFallen
04-10-2005, 07:20 PM
No clue about warriors but to fix the video/error problems

Errror:
Type: /console showerrors 0

For the weird screen problems:
Turn off full-screen glow effect at videosettings

Problem solved;)

GL with the warrior though(got myself a warlock, pretty neat)

Elexin
04-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah I like my lock :)
She's only lv15 though. Or 8... depending on which server I look at ^^

The console thing I found out and it worked... the glow effect thing just stuck a nasty black block down the other side of my screen aswell.
The stupid thing is, I set it to the exact same screen settings I use and have no problems with on shadowsong o.O

TheFallen
04-10-2005, 07:41 PM
The stupid thing is, I set it to the exact same screen settings I use and have no problems with on shadowsong o.O

Welcome to the test realm, w.a.i.

Elexin
04-10-2005, 07:43 PM

Heh...
I think Ironforge knows I'm Horde, and is telling me to go home ^^

TheFallen
04-10-2005, 07:44 PM

Heh...
I think Ironforge knows I'm Horde, and is telling me to go home ^^

Let me guess:

Elexin: Where can you buy ammo? Where can you buy reagent x? Where's the bank? Where's the battlemaster? Where's the general store?

:lol: So amusing to watch :lol:

Locowar
04-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Whats your char name:P?
just disable shader effects for that weird thingie to disappear
And Wowvault.ign.com for talent stuff.

Elexin
04-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Let me guess:

Elexin: Where can you buy ammo? Where can you buy reagent x? Where's the bank? Where's the battlemaster? Where's the general store?

:lol: So amusing to watch :lol:

Meh, I was Alliance long before I was Horde, pest of an elf. I'm spared the humiliation of those questions because of it (I also have a feeling the battlemaster was right infront of me, behind the small parade of other clone warriors) ^^
Tried that... it didnt work either Loco. I decided I'm reinstalling the test server later to see if that does anything -_-;

Crash
05-10-2005, 01:58 PM
How to Win the Game as a warrior:

Always have the best gear you can afford. If you're using greens, then you should aim to replace each of them every 5 levels or so. If you're starting on a server where you don't have a level 60 character to buy stuff for you, consider taking 2 gathering professions to make as much money as possible and spend it all at the AH.

Your talents should be based on what type of weapons you're using; either mostly in the Arms tree for a 2-handed weapon, or mostly in Fury for dual-wielding. Do not put points in Protection before level 60. You won't need them.

When you're soloing, you are trying to be a DPS machine. NEVER use a shield when soloing. Your aim is to kill stuff as quickly as possible while taking as little damage as possible, and the way to do this is to go for 2H/DW and high armour gear with +str and +agi. Hitpoints are not so important, as you will never want to put yourself in a position where a single fight will bring you below around 20% health. Remeber that your only forms of healing are eating, bandaging or just resting between fights, which always restore the same HP/sec, regardless of your max HP.

If you're tanking, then ideally you should have a shield and some gear with +sta in your bags that you can use to replace your damage gear. Having lots of stamina will help if you're grouping with newbie healers in the early to mid game.

As for what weapons to use, I suggest a fast 2-hander up to level 20, then dual wield (fast 1H in main hand, slow 1H in off hand) up until level 40, then use a slow 2-hander after that. The only exception would be if you can get a Whirlwind weapon at around level 31, which is from a warrior quest that gives you a choice between 3 level-35 quality 2H weapons.

The importance of weapon speeds is due to the way your main damage attacks work. Before level 40, your main attack will be Heroic Strike, which slightly favours fast weapons. Once you hit level 40 you can put all your talent points into Arms and get Mortal Strike, which heavily favours slow weapons.

Anyway, here are the important talents to use if you're using a slow 2-hander:
-Mortal Strike
-Deep Wounds (it's great, don't listen to anyone that says otherwise)
-2H Weapon Specialization (see above)
-Improved Overpower (useful for any build but mostly for 2H)
-Sweeping Strikes (even though you need this to get Mortal Strike, it's still great)

If you're dual wielding, get:
-Improved Heroic Strike
-Unbridled Wrath
-Flurry
-Dual Wield Specialization (people may argue over exactly how much this increases your DPS, but it also gives a significant boost to rage generation)
-Bloodthirst (I've never tried this, but it's a 31 point talent so it must be good!)

Talents that are good no matter what spec you're using:
-Tactical Mastery and Anger Management (Don't argue. Just get them)
-Impale
-Axe Spec, Sword Spec and Cruelty (Sword spec is supposedly slightly better than axe spec)
-Deflection
-Piercing Howl, Enrage and Improved Intercept (all very useful in PvP but less so in PvE)

Avoid Improved Thunder Clap, Improved Cleave, Improved Slam and (IMO) Booming Voice. Do not put points into Improved Rend unless you want to get Deep Wounds and Impale.

Now as for what to do in battle. When soloing, it basically goes Charge - Battle Shout (if it's not already up) - Demoralizing Shout - Heroic Strike/Moral Strike - Execute - win. Always use Demoralizing Shout but don't bother with Thunder Clap or Rend. Always keep your Battle Shout up.

If you're tanking, your main abilities are Sunder Armour and Revenge, which cause a lot of threat. Try to use Demo Shout when you can. Tactical Mastery is useful here as you can use Charge on a mob, switch to defensive stance and retain the rage you got from the charge. You can also switch from defensive to battle stance for an execute, or to berzerker stance to use Intercept on a mob that's attacking someone it shouldn't be.

As for PvP, just experiment, as deaths here really don't matter. 2H builds are better for PvP as it allows you to do a lot of burst damage in the couple of seconds you're in range of an enemy. Dual wield spec requires you to be toe-to-toe with something for a longer period of time, which happens less in PvP. Just remember to hamstring everything you see, and try to find a Shield Bash macro if you don't have Pummel yet (both of these skills interrupt casting).

Temmink
05-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Polearm template (http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/warrior/talents.html?0532500133201005010550010400500000000 000000000000000)

Dual wield template (http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/warrior/talents.html?0232502130200000000505013102501205100 000000000000000)

(As for the dual wield one, I put 2 points in improved execute instead of dual wield spec since off hand damage is rather low. But you since rage is never an issue with dual wielding, you can just put them in dual wield spec anyway)