View Full Version : Curiousity, about builds.

Teuregon
13-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Hey all, ive not posted much but thought i´d better start to :).

I´m curious of how your talentbuilds are, not the exact details or anything, just some generalisation, for example 31 arcane/ 20 frost. Also please tell why you have that build.

For example me:

Im a 39 Frost/ 12 Fire mage. This is a highly unusual build ive noticed, so far not met one other mage with anything similar...

My first reason for this build was that from the start i chose frost but had a notion that i needed another element in those cases I met any frostimmune mobs and so began getting some in fire since fire is the opposing element and i hardly thought any mobs would be immune/highly resistant to both.

My second reason has to be with familiarity, since i´ve played this build for so long time i know it exactly and to tell the truth i love the build. It is good in most situations, though not excelling in anything really.

Third reason might be that its very rare, i like to have a mage that´s not identical in build as all others, ive seen on the official mage forums where people show their builds, and then people copy that build exactly...

Only downside with the buikld is missing evocation, ive managed good enough in long bossfights by having some manaregen gear and also know when to best utilise my mana stones and mana pots. (Also being an alchemist i never run out of mana pots)

Hope to see all shadowsongs mages start to post a bit in this forum, its pretty dead ive noticed.

Wibble
13-09-2005, 05:22 PM
I would say elementalist builds are getting less rare, though I suspect there'd be more if IAE wasn't so cheap :P
I ended up plumping for a 24 fire/27 frost build, as I'm a sucker for critical mass. I know it'd probably fall apart in MC/BWL, but then I'm not exactly getting there anytime soon.

Drauk
14-09-2005, 06:17 AM
20 Arcane/31 Frost

Frost is a necessity in MC, however a classical raiding build (31 Arcane/ 20 Frost) is way to gimped for anything else (solo and PvP). So, i tried to balance my build around both solo and raiding and throw some PvP (imp. blizz and imp. counter).

Alia
14-09-2005, 07:18 AM
Mine is 33Frost/18Arcane due to the fact that i'm in raiding guild and i use to pvp alot i got that build but as i stop pvping so i'm thinking of changing my build to boost my frostbolt damage.

So i'm going to respec to 31Arcane/20frost, this way my frostbolt will have +3% more damage and crit plus 35% damage every 3mins.

My damage gear give me 291 damage to all spells, my frostbolt do 730 damage on an average and 1450 damage on crit.

Coodie
03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Been at my 31/20 arc/frost build for quite a while and i love it.
It's the best PvE build in my oppinion for max damage! (mages are not suppose to take damage anyway).

do about 800 and crit for 1600 with bolts.

Alia
04-10-2005, 05:52 AM
Like Coodie said 31/20 Arcane/Frost is the best build for PvE, u only need to get a good amount of damage gear and u going to fine.

My frostbolt now do 750-800 and crit for 1500-1600, my highest Frostbolt crit was 2056dmg with AP.

Teuregon
26-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Bah, such cookie cutter builds, so boring ones :). I updated my build a bit now, 41/10 Frost/Fire. Have a look here: http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/mage/talents.html?0000000000000000503200000000005052231 323501351

The lack of evocation would hurt most mages, well it does kinda hurt me as well, but I´ve got enough good gear i manage fine enough. High manaregen is important, so my gear is mostly directed in manaregen and +dmg. At the moment in full dmggear I´ve got a total of +432 magicdmg, and 32 mana/5sec.

jkb
30-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Allthough i respec several times a week i have a favorite build.

Arcane
Arcane Focus Rank 5
Arcane Concentration Rank 5
Improved Dampen Magic Rank 2
Improved Arcane Explosion Rank 5
Evocation Rank 1
Improved Counterspell Rank 2
Presence of Mind Rank 1

Arcane Total: 21

Fire
Improved Fireball Rank 5
Ignite Rank 5
Flame Throwing Rank 2
Incinerate Rank 2
Pyroblast Rank 1
Improved Flamestrike Rank 3
Improved Scorch Rank 3
Critical Mass Rank 3
Blast Wave Rank 1
Fire Power Rank 5

Fire Total: 30

Enjoy this build for good farming due to constant high dmg. Works well for PVP due to high dmg / blastwave + Presence of Mind.
Average Fireball Hit: 1.1/2k
Average Fireball Crit: 1.6/7k
Highest Crit (pvp): 3574 pyro

Magefist
30-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Shame on me for missing this topic.

I've tried several builds from 31 arc 20 fire to 33 fire 18 arc, but currently I'm a quite cookie-cutter 21 arc 30 fire mage, though I've got less points in more popular fire talents for 5 in ignite *and* impact. (in my defense, I didn't base it on a cookie-cutter build, just took what I liked - fire - and what I felt was essential - arcane)

Mostly I think it's ideal for pvp, but I've been in MC twice (if you can call it that...) and if there's some helpful warlocks around feel fire/arc isn't *that* bad. Yet. Anyway, I intend to stay with this build for three reasons:

1. eventually lategame raids will move away from the fire resist craziness of MC etc.

2. I'm convinced Blizzard will put in some kind of fire shadowform that lowers resists in the mage class update, and want to walk around like Ignatius from PS:T.

3. and most importantly, because I'm an absolute pyromaniac.

Every time there's that crackle and whoosh of flame when ignite strikes, life seems a little better. Every time I use blastwave, the animation is unbeatable. Just fire in general. The sound effects. The visuals. The mere idea of burning things. Yesss. Nevermind replaying songs that feature fire. Twisted firestarter?

Burn baby burn.

(uh, I'll be going now)

Turiel
30-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Put all talents in the water tree.

Alia
30-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Put all talents in the water tree.

No need, the Crystal water if getting buffed and i'm 100% sure that Blizzard will make the mana cost of it 2.5times the current one.

Nimbus
30-11-2005, 02:42 PM
21/30 Arcane/Fire (PoM, Evocation, Pyro, BW, 5/5 firepower) is quite viable in MC, with non slacking warlocks putting on CoE on everything apart from the flaming elementals where CoS + AM works fine. I manage to be quite high in the damage rankings and I probably have the least damage gear of the active CoI mages.

In BWL - Fire rocks. In damage i am just below a certain warlock if you look at total damage from start to chromaggus. Of course that includes the supression rooms where Blastwave and Improved Flamestrike truly shines.

Its a build that also does ok in PvP, at least for me.

I am not saying that its the best build however. It all comes down to personal taste and in BWL you need a healthy mix of fire, cold and arcane to get through.

My dream build requires more talent points. I want PoM, Blastwave and Imp CoC + shatter in the same build. Not possible... yet 8)

Edit: The only thing this build is bad for is duelling, where you probably want to have AP to have a chance against some classes

Khalam
30-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Edit: The only thing this build is bad for is duelling, where you probably want to have AP to have a chance against some classes

To 2 shot certain classes, you mean? ;-)

Trupiaczacha
31-12-2005, 11:03 AM
atm im 31/0/20 its the best dps build in me eyes... good in mc but better in bwl... in PvP its too good but not so good as frost build :( fires is weak in pvp .... atm i miss some dps items ... but normal 750 - 800 1500 - 1600 the best crit was 2759... but it sox ;/ too low ;/ me frend form guild crosis do 4k-5k crits form frostbollt ;/ he have sick gear ;/

Egminos
27-01-2006, 01:08 AM
my mage has a quite traditional build atm: 21/30 arc/fire, which includes PoM, blastwave, pyro, firepower.

likey for those that are interested:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/mages/talents.html?2050505102010005055201300031500000000 000000000

this build serves me very well, and even in MC i'm pulling nice damage since i've been stacking loads of +dmg blues (about +230dmg). The only problem is my very low manapool. For pvp, its quite nice as well, although i haven't done much pvp yet. The only thing i'm a bit missing is Impact.

Thrasymakhos
04-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Since this is my first post on the forum, been passive reader for a bit now, I want to say first hello and greetings to all you fellow mages! :)

And then to the topic at hand. My build is Frost / Arcane, 33 / 18. With that I get Ice Barrier, Ice Block, Shatter, Improved Blizzard etc from frost tree and Improved CS, Explosion, Clearcast etc from Arcane tree.

Actually I might be a bit of strange mage, since this is the *only* build I have ever tried. I think I just grew to like it so much, it has felt so familiar, that I haven't even bothered to change. I first chose it, when I began, because of the fuss about Fire build and it'supremacy, wanted to be a bit different, I guess. :) Nowadays seems that most mages are frost. ;)

Anyhow, so far the build has worked pretty well for me. I have been raiding MC for a while now, and starting to go into BWL, too. Ice Block is pretty nice ability in some of the Boss fights in the Core, but not necessary, I should think. Helps when you're da bomb though. ;) Mostly MC has been spamming frost bolts or casting missiles to break the monotony, and some decursing and sheeping. Frost build has helped in that. Don't have much experinece in BWL yet, since we're in the first boss now, but I should think Frost won't hurt in there, either...

I have also done a fair share of pvp, mostly in one of the ally premades, and even though I don't manage 1 vs 1 so well, I feel like I can contribute to the team. 1 vs 1 would be better with Arcane power and PoM, but on the other hand Ice Block is great in AB, for example, to buy time near the flag, or just get a heal in the middle of a big fight. Of course it draws attention, too... ;) Sometimes I use Improved Blizzard with the slow/freeze effect in AB, near or on the flag spot, to slow down the mass of horde and help friendly melee. Ice Barrier helps in WSG, for example, if you happen to run the flag for yourself or help the Flag carrier in flag room - shields up, Nova the place, sheep one and free goes the carrier. :)

However, now I have startd to wonder a bit about the build I mentioned above, since have started to venture into BWL and also because I managed to get the ZG trinket a while back, and it seems to add nice burst damage for a short period of time. Perhaps Arcane power and PoM might complement that, but then I would lose survivability a bit...
Well, have to see if I respec for the first time now, after many many months. How's that for a change. ;)

I guess that's about it now, folks.

Be seeing ya in-game or online here!

Sebbs
02-03-2006, 07:19 PM
This is me,

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/mage/talents.html?3200505102000000000000000000005513031 323001051

And i might add that im not really fond of it... actually i hate it.

Ailith
03-03-2006, 08:28 AM
I am aiming for a 30/21 Fire/Arcane build, though I will not have Pyro or Imp Fireball:

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/talents/mage/talents.html?0500505122010000550220330131500000000 000000000

Currently have 21 in Arcane and finishing off my fire tree as I level.