View Full Version : ShadowForm in pvp

Alia
11-09-2005, 07:56 AM
To All the Shadowpriests out there, How many of u use shadowform in pvp? and why?

I got lvl52 Human Priest 33 in shadow and 10 in Dis, i use shadowform alot in Pve( outside instances ofc ), Vampiric Embrace heal me nice.

Other then spirit tap allow me to have less drink breaks between fights and sometimes i dont even need to sit to drink as Spirit tap fully regen my mana.

At the start of the BG's, i noticed that almost all the alliance shadow Priests had Shadowform on in WG and anyone who have small info about priests will know that shadowform dont allow any healing spells to be cast.

One day i was group with a Friend NE priestess few runs and in each run i keept my eye on her and so that she had Shadowform on, later in that day i had a lil chat about about many things and shadowform was one of them.

I told her if she try not to put on shadowform and cast few heals from now and then, the reaction was that she want to do damage and be effective in the fight not just a healer.

I told her that WG is more about teamwork and we each try to do his/her own class abilities in WG, mage remove curses, sheep and do Damage but healer classes can do damage and healer party members.

Shadow ward: Pain, Mind blast, Mind flay are all damage spells that can be cast outside shadow from plus silence, scream, Mind control, dispel magic and healing spells too.

From that day on i never saw her in shadowform in any WG raid i was in.

Back when i use to pvp and when i use to be Arcane/Fire mage i enjoy seeing Horde shadowpriest in Shadowform as i could do loads of damage to them in short period of time and when they try to heal them self i would CS and nuke them to hell.

And ofc been in shadowform will not allow them to cast renew on them self, Shadowform is great vs melee classes due to the fact that increase Shadow damage by 15% and reduce Physical damage done to you by 15% but it's kinda risky vs casters as Shadowform don't effect their spells.

Priests can heal them self, Mages( Arcane/fire ) can nuke deliver insane amount of damage in short period of time and Counter spells, Warlocks can debuff and with pets they can seduce( UD race can be immune for short period of time ), spell lock. Put in mind that Curse of Tongues will slow your casting time by 50% so flash heal will have a 3sec casting time.

From what i read from the priest forum is that many recommend not to pvp in shadowform.

Back to my question, how many of u use shadowform in pvp? And why?

Platonas
11-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Heh, I was shadow for 4 days or so, but then repented. The dark side is evil.

Anyway, i did try almost everything during those days, pvp included. While you do of course deal a bit more damage while in shadowform, you shouldn't forget that you're fighting real intelligent people who don't necessarily fight predictably. I usually managed to kill two or three of them before i went down myself, but you couldn't be of any more use.

There's nothing better in pvp than standing in a bush 35yds away from your warrior, spamming heals while he's being ganked (and ends up ganking) 4 uglies :)

Kabhanda
11-09-2005, 12:54 PM
In pvp shadowform is for 1v1 against rogues and warriors. Thats about it.

Meri
11-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Hee, I'm kinda getting the feeling that none of you really took the path of the shadow long enough in pvp. Judging by duels Shadowform rips apart everything in 1 vs 1 except priests and druids, and even then you have a fair chance depending on how smart you play or how well the opponent plays. (Druids are a walkover unless they know how to fight shadowform)
In mass pvp, in a recent AV, I was 3rd in Alliance with killing blows, and I usually pick full healthed targets. On not so infrequent occasion took down 2 or even 3 targets that were wailing on me before running out of mana and facing death.
And mage can't beat a well played Shadowform, because SP spells do more damage/mana, has longer silence, can shield, can dispell mages buffs, you constantly heal via Embrace, etc.
But shadowform needs love, it needs to be fully embraced to be more than just effective, going shadow with devout set for example is just flirting with the shadow.

ps. yeah healing can be effective, but its reactive. Reactive strategies aren't usually the best ways in such games. Sure you can heal your warrior friend charging 3 enemies, or you could shield him, dot them all, embrace one, melt another, reshield friend, embrace third, melt second...ofc people aren't usually dumb enough to focus all their attention on the warrior and let you gingerly blast them away. But to each their own, I have chosen the path of the shadow, not the path of the healer.

pthampy
26-09-2005, 12:03 PM
I dont have personal experience...but from all the pvp shadowform videos iv seen...shadowform melts faces for breakfast...and lunch....and dinner.... :D

Chonar
26-09-2005, 12:24 PM
There's nothing better in pvp than standing in a bush 35yds away from your warrior, spamming heals while he's being ganked (and ends up ganking) 4 uglies :)

\o/

Tsarina
26-09-2005, 01:03 PM
Its not really up for discussion. If you have some experience in PvP, you know whats superior.

Judging by duels Shadowform rips apart everything in 1 vs 1 except priests and druids,
Look up some decent hunters.

Ashborn
26-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Or a decent warlock.

lokman
30-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Look up some decent hunters.
Or a decent warlock.

If by "decent" what you mean is players with purple items... well you are right. Yesterday in AB a warlock - not Ashen, resisted my Mind Blast, SW:P *and* the next Mind Blast!!!
Just to be sure she wasn't extremely lucky i spent my remaining mana to cast a third Mind Blast on her and dealt only half the damage!

Now there is absolutely no way i can defeat someone with that kind of resistance... and it has nothing to do with her 1337 pvp skillz. I was so frustrated, i spent the remaining part of the night in shadowform raining various kinds of shadow on every alliance i see ;) (I go shadowform only when defending farm and other occasions when i'll have to fight 1v1, or when i am with a group who have no idea what they are doing - i am not gonna waste my mana on ppl who dont know who to attack, who cant wait by the flag for 2 minutes, etc.)

Now i dont mean you are not good pvpers. On the contrary! Tbh i have never been able to defeat Ashen 1v1 :( (damn i hate your succubus like i hate nothing else, and how come you crit *every single time* with your shadowbolt?) and though i did kill Tsarina a few times 1v1, Tsa you are clearly ahead on our 1v1 score. Though i get angry when i am killed by you, i know you are really good pvpers and i do not get frustrated. Rather my anger turns into a will to do better.

However when you cant land a single spell to purple boys running around with no idea about pvp you get real pissed.

There should be a BG that you go in naked! And i am serious. That would be the place to see who is a more skilled player.

Ashborn
30-09-2005, 01:30 PM
The resistance you encountered was most likely due to master demonologist, combined with some bad luck. MD with a felhunter gives you 60 resists across the board, add 15 from demon armour and maybe 20 or so from gear and you're talking fairly high resistance. Does take some nerfing of your damage output to achieve tho.

Harr
30-09-2005, 02:30 PM
You have dispel magic which you can cast in shadow form, use it, and use it often. Thats one of the most important spells you have in PvP.

Alia
30-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Agree with Harr.

One dispel magic will remove all his/her buffs and about great with resist most the ppl at lvl60 got fire gear due for doing end game instances which most the drops come with +fire resist but some come with +shadow resist geat too.

lokman
30-09-2005, 11:29 PM
The resistance you encountered was most likely due to master demonologist, combined with some bad luck. MD with a felhunter gives you 60 resists across the board, add 15 from demon armour and maybe 20 or so from gear and you're talking fairly high resistance. Does take some nerfing of your damage output to achieve tho.

She most probably had Shadow Protection from a priest too. She was absoutely untouchable by any shadow priest. It was scary.

On to the subject... To answer Alia... As Harr pointed dispel magic is a life saver especially when running since one can dispell roots, snares, dots etc. Also removing two bufs from an alliance with a single dispel simply roxorz!

If we have another healer i sometimes do "attention whore" runs to the back lines of the alliance and mass fear their healers. Extremenly fun to watch 5 people running around while their friends get slaughtered. However one shouldn't expect to live much after that; you'll immediately be the target of bazillion alliance - which is why i name the run attention whore :)

And of course there is PW:S. Even when in shadowform i keep an eye on health bars of people. Must be a priest thing. I can't help it :) And though shield is a huge mana sink i keep throwing shields here and there. Add to that the fact that pvp gear barely gives you 5000 mana and you'll understand my burning wish to have a mage in every group - buying all that drink is unthinkable. i am a poor priest :)

And finally on every encounter i SW:P & vampiric embrace one alliance at the beginning of the fight. SW:P is one of the best DOTs and as for vampiric embrace, it is only about 75 mana or so and every little bit of heal helps.

Alia
01-10-2005, 07:11 AM
She most probably had Shadow Protection from a priest too. She was absoutely untouchable by any shadow priest. It was scary.

Disple ftw

And of course there is PW:S. Even when in shadowform i keep an eye on health bars of people. Must be a priest thing. I can't help it :)

lol yeah i know what u mean.

Puressence
01-10-2005, 04:55 PM
On my priest, Sentient, i am currently specced as shadow. I did try Holy in PvP and it was great for keeping a load of people alive n kickin. However i reckon shadow form, when used at the right times and in moderation, can be very effective. It's great to nuke people as fast as possile and (with my current, non pvp gear) i have 7k mana. this means that the amount required for the 15% damage increase is almost nothing. switching back to normal is instant and as such, when you need to heal someone it is only 1 extra click away. Thus i reckon shadow is the more versatile way to PvP it just requires good timing/judgement.

*Pure* :wink:

Coven
03-10-2005, 11:53 AM
I've been finding that I use shadowform less and less in PvP. I mainly use SF in solo PvE for all the known reasons/benefits. The spell cooldown between switches can mean a dead party member when a last minte heal is needed. Still great for 1 on 1 sessions and ranged nuking in a duo scenario.

I often find that I'm running against ?? players anyway (XR raids) where my face melting spells are often resisted and I need to play a support role more fully. Spamming SW:Pain on rogues and using MF to slow their retreat is very effective and getting them killed quickly. Using MF to slow any advance/retreat is handy. More often than not spamming Flash Heal makes a huge amount of difference, as long as I don't hang about in one place for long and avoid a ganking.

Then again, my PvP experience is very limited and I may find that all of the above needs a drastic rethink. Working as intended atm though.

I love shadow spec, to date all of my points have been spent on the shadow tree, awesome for solo PvE and good enough as main healer in instances to date. It'll be a tough choice to respec at 60, still not convinced that I will - can always be a support healer ;)

kyochi
10-06-2006, 12:56 AM
Found this thread interesting. After taking a good 3 month break from pvp, i started with my priest today and i pretty much sucked to be honest. Going shadow most of the way, sure i beat a few rogues and warriors (and i admit, i did reach for wing clip a few times before i remembered i was a priest), but overall i wasn't very effective as part of the team. So basically looking for some advice on playing a priest in pvp if anyone is willing. pm me or anything =)

Myriima
10-06-2006, 03:38 AM
Every class can deal damage in PVP, but only 3 on each side can heal and usually those are rare in WSG / AB. The decision is really easy in my eyes, I have an enhancement shaman in the 40s and sometimes I go get a WSG match. Love oneshotting cloth with WF crits, but when I see someone needing a heal, I stop and do exactly that

Fleshmissile
10-06-2006, 06:39 AM
I've been finding that I use shadowform less and less in PvP. I mainly use SF in solo PvE for all the known reasons/benefits. The spell cooldown between switches can mean a dead party member when a last minte heal is needed. Still great for 1 on 1 sessions and ranged nuking in a duo scenario.

I often find that I'm running against ?? players anyway (XR raids) where my face melting spells are often resisted and I need to play a support role more fully. Spamming SW:Pain on rogues and using MF to slow their retreat is very effective and getting them killed quickly. Using MF to slow any advance/retreat is handy. More often than not spamming Flash Heal makes a huge amount of difference, as long as I don't hang about in one place for long and avoid a ganking.

Then again, my PvP experience is very limited and I may find that all of the above needs a drastic rethink. Working as intended atm though.

I love shadow spec, to date all of my points have been spent on the shadow tree, awesome for solo PvE and good enough as main healer in instances to date. It'll be a tough choice to respec at 60, still not convinced that I will - can always be a support healer ;)

i swear erb is lvl 60?

Toshiro
10-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Found this thread interesting. After taking a good 3 month break from pvp, i started with my priest today and i pretty much sucked to be honest. Going shadow most of the way, sure i beat a few rogues and warriors (and i admit, i did reach for wing clip a few times before i remembered i was a priest), but overall i wasn't very effective as part of the team. So basically looking for some advice on playing a priest in pvp if anyone is willing. pm me or anything =)

make a horde alt and whsiper me if you want.

On shadow form, it is the form of selfish people who care more about their killing blows than helping the team. I have seen people stay in shadowform while the fc is next to them getting killed. The only exception is on flagroom guarding duty to stop druids, the extra 15% damage is helpful then.

When I respecced back to PvP spec this time I seriouslt questioned the point of getting it as I know how useless it is in mass PvP. But did it anyway as switching to it for rogues and warriors mean you cant lose :)

Talsin
10-06-2006, 07:50 AM

i swear erb is lvl 60?

maybe you should look at the date of his post

Zulamun
14-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Moo

i swear erb is lvl 60?

maybe you should look at the date of his post

kek