View Full Version : PvP Training

Ansharok
24-08-2005, 03:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing some training for pvp combat. By that I mean that I want something like 5 people (or more if anyone is interested) to train for pvp by fighting as a close-knit team. As it is I see lots of fighting, primarily in WSG that is mainly running about, to a large extent fighting solo in groups, or at least often, poor teamwork.

It is that which I want to do something about. If we were to train to fight in pvp with the same teamwork that we have in pve, taking advantage of cooperation and thus cover each other's weaknesses, I think we would be able to whoop the whining alliance six ways from sunday. Even if somewhat outnumbered.

If anyone is interested mail or whisper me ingame or post here.
I'm a lvl 60 orc warrior, and I'm of course looking for other 60 levels. If any lower level chars are interested, maybe we could find a solution to that as well.

Turiel
24-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Damnit I thought you were an alliance person with a good idea.

But absolutely, go for it. Hell, we might steal the same idea :P

Caliban
24-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Ansharok, my blade is ready! eh.. my broken bottle that is.

-Caliban

Harr
25-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Ahh.. 5-man team.. good idea... doing it in arena I take it?

Chonar
25-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Why yes, as a warrior, I would love some heals in PVP too.

( Cause thats what yer saying! Admit it! ;p )

Meri
25-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Why yes, as a warrior, I would love some heals in PVP too.

( Cause thats what yer saying! Admit it! ;p )

Wouldn't we all, but the fact is, that many people do not find it fun to heal in pvp. Largely because there is nothing really to keep enemy characters from making a straight beeline for the priest that's not black. If skills like taunt would indeed force even players to attack the warrior for its duration (diminishing returns to it in pvp), it would be a whole different can of soup. In mass pvp healing is also not often very practical, as the targets tend to die almost as fast as the heals take to cast. In small scale pvp I'd venture to say that a facemelting Shadow Priest still contibutes more than a healer priest.
But bottom line is, that I don't find healing in pvp to be fun, and OTOH Shadow priests are very strong in small scale pvp, so I want to use my strengths, and melt faces, which is, well, fun. :P
ps. Shields are another thing, those I do throw around to my groupmates, especially casters, since they serve a dual purpose and can be cast in black.

-misedit: added here instead of the newer post by accident -

Kabhanda
25-08-2005, 06:28 PM
In a group for pvp one priest healing can mean you kill 10 horde at once with no losses, no way a shadow priest casting flay n stuff can make that sort of difference.

Face melting is for 1v1, when you have a friend letting them do the damage, while you keep them alive is generally better.

Turiel
25-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Healing at the very least the flag runner is invaluable in winning WSG. Fithvael, Fantasy, Cyan and others are healers in our WSG games and it really makes a difference.

sara
25-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Alliance are at an advantage in the whole 'healer in pvp' thing, because of all the legolazes, horde doesn't have anywhere near as many.

It's hard to heal when arrows/bullets are coming your way and interrupting all the time (and worse with a pet on you). Focussed fire from a few is geometrically worse.

Turiel is right, though, healing the flag runner makes a big difference to how many successful flag runs get made, I just got fed up with having to survive in midfield (where you meet up with the flag runner) while hunters kept killing me.

It seems ironic that in WG rogues were less annoying when they are the designated 'squishy-squisher', but in WG you can kite melee people so that they aren't in the way to intercept the runner. Hunters can just leave their pet on you and the mana sting and it's GG. :(

Locowar
25-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Meh I dont need any heals... I got the awesome Bloodthirst:O.
Healing should only be on the flag carrier, and who cares if one dies... you ress 10-30 secs after anyways:).

Ansharok
26-08-2005, 10:00 AM
There is a video out there somewhere with a warrior and a priest that slaughter something like 10 alliance, a few at a time, and the warrior, with his arcanite reaper, actually manages to pull aggro from human players. It's all about training and cooperation. Sara, I would LOVE to have you with us, and I believe that if we train well we should be able to keep you alive and useful. I think much of the reservation you have against pvp'ing aka priest target practice, is that noone has been looking out for you in an organized manner.

As it is we seem to have a good number, myself, Caliban, Harr, seem to be commited to the idea.

Long story short: Anyone who wants to train how to fight as a pvp team meet me in Gurubashi arena at 11:30 and 14:30 on this saturday. And if you ARE interested, please mail Ansharok in-game and say so.

Bagrok
26-08-2005, 12:00 PM
PVE ftw! =D

Meri
28-08-2005, 03:18 AM
In a group for pvp one priest healing can mean you kill 10 horde at once with no losses, no way a shadow priest casting flay n stuff can make that sort of difference.

Face melting is for 1v1, when you have a friend letting them do the damage, while you keep them alive is generally better.

Except when the other side has the SP, casting the wonderful magical STFU on the healer while melting you in stead of your tank who is being circumvented by at least somewhat cogniscient players whatever the situation. :P The only way you should be able to not be the target number one is if you're shadowmelded, and I can think of at least one other class with a bigger impact if melded a bit behind the lines.
Also, where you're coming from, if you'd lose with such equipment superiority to anyone, it'd be rather funny.
Certain ranged combinations can work well with a healer, for a minute.

ps. Yeah healing the flagrunner, but that's not about PvP, thats about Capture the Flag. I'm sure you understand why the random fast character running away from the enemy would not be target numero uno in any other circumstance.

Harr
28-08-2005, 05:55 AM
Well I can give my shaman point of view to that healing. I was in a team once where I was only "healer" there and boy was my mana gone quick.. I think we all know a shaman without mana is a useless shaman. But nevertheless right timed heals are invaluable key to wins. I would love to go "berserk" with windfury too and get the heals, but meh :P

Ruargh
28-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Well I can give my shaman point of view to that healing. I was in a team once where I was only "healer" there and boy was my mana gone quick.. I think we all know a shaman without mana is a useless shaman. But nevertheless right timed heals are invaluable key to wins. I would love to go "berserk" with windfury too and get the heals, but meh :P

i got nothing to add to that ^^

Caliban
29-08-2005, 08:44 AM
In my opinion, a good priest or druid, or even the rare pally who uses heals or blessings on other players kick ass in WG. Yes, a player can be dps'ed to the ground even with two healers, but a well timed shield or heal over time can also turn the battle around. It's all about staying power.

As for healer survivability, the difference is huge between groups. Random alliance will just pretend not to notice while I stunlock their priest, premades is a totally different story. The entire allie dps gang will turn in a instant and nuke me. I still try tho. One day...

-Caliban

Rukia
29-08-2005, 09:32 AM
As for healer survivability, the difference is huge between groups. Random alliance will just pretend not to notice while I stunlock their priest, premades is a totally different story. The entire allie dps gang will turn in a instant and nuke me. I still try tho. One day...

-Caliban

Hands off Fithvael! Don't even think of touching our priest. ¬_¬

I heard in the AV the other day you guys only had one priest even when you were at 40 people. We had 7, I believe, and it was a noticable difference imo. Several times in the zerg I was certain I'd be down in a few seconds, and I was suddenly at full hp again. It always disheartens attackers when that happens :p Well, usually when I see my target go to full after being on 100 hp or so, I just look for a squishier target. Warriors are such a pain to get down with good healers.

Tsarina
29-08-2005, 09:58 AM
No taunt in PvP? Attacking the priest will get you aggro for sure. If I see Fithvael or Fantasy (Or our guest healers: Cyan/Teela) being attacked, the attacker is my primary target. Always.

Locowar
29-08-2005, 10:14 AM
No taunt in PvP? Attacking the priest will get you aggro for sure. If I see Fithvael or Fantasy (Or our guest healers: Cyan/Teela) being attacked, the attacker is my primary target. Always.
The healer will be dead before you notice the healer is under attack:P

Harr
29-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Heh Locowar.. with so many stuns/distract shots etc. going around you'll be dead before the healer is. I know from experience playing against that uber alliance premade group ;)

Elexin
29-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Attacking Healers is boring... Poly them. A polyed priest is a lot less noticable than a dead one, and it gets them out of the way that much quicker ;)
Move on to kill their friends, then worry about where the healer has gone :P
Warriors charging poor helpless mages... thats a problem though :(

Several times in the zerg I was certain I'd be down in a few seconds, and I was suddenly at full hp again. It always disheartens attackers when that happens :)
It was disheartening, but for a different reason.
It was disheartening because our healers weren't really healing. Its entirely possible our priest was healing.. but there was only one of her (although I think at one point we managed to get *gasp* three).
The problem is that in situations like that (few or no healers), the Shamans should start healing too. There are lots of them, at least some of them should ;p
Okay you may eat your way through mana, but you can still heal :)

Harr
29-08-2005, 11:26 PM
I have never seen 3 priests in the same group on horde side, must have been premade! ;) :P

Locowar
30-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Heh Locowar.. with so many stuns/distract shots etc. going around you'll be dead before the healer is. I know from experience playing against that uber alliance premade group ;) Loco never dies without any kills:D

Ansharok
31-08-2005, 12:15 PM
blah blah blah blah...

Anyone interested in training or not?
now i've met tsarina and that bunch in wsg and i can tell from 1st hand experience that a protected priest is VERY difficult to kill. but, hey, why not let the alliance have the best premade group, no need for the horde to fight back...

pm me or mail me ingame if you're interested. a priest! a priest! my doomsaw for a priest!