View Full Version : what weapons?

thurlog
20-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Started a rogue for a change and was wondering some stuff about weapon choices (without having to go through numerous guide's, posts, etc, etc):

* Because i'm human my Mace and Sword are +5, but i don't see to many rogues walking around with maces?

* Are there any skills (i don't have yet), besides ambush and Backstab for which you have to equip a Dagger in your main-hand?

Somehow i guess it has to do with Specializations? :)

Ashborn
20-08-2005, 10:17 PM
The reason you don't see many rogues around with maces is that there simply aren't that many good mainhand maces around. Most rogues don't have weapon specs anyways, so that doesn't really factor into it. Main thing you should be looking for in a good weapon for sinister strike is as high a damage range as possible, the slower the weapon the better.

Turiel
21-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Personally I refuse to play with anything but a dagger in main hand, because it just seems wrong for a rogue character NOT to backstab :)

So much of your decision will be down to personally playing style. It might be possible to do more damage with a sword/mace combo, but if you'd rather be the sneaky backstabbing type then daggers is yer only man.

Meri
21-08-2005, 06:59 AM
Err? A sword/mace (ssspam) rogue not investing heavily into Combat sounds very dodgy. Riposte is good even for a stabber, for a ssspammer it should be better than sliced bread. Same for Blade Flurry. My question would be what on earth are they spending their talents on if not Combat? O.o Useless Assa talents to get Cold Blood? o.O

Llort
21-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Err? A sword/mace (ssspam) rogue not investing heavily into Combat sounds very dodgy. Riposte is good even for a stabber, for a ssspammer it should be better than sliced bread. Same for Blade Flurry. My question would be what on earth are they spending their talents on if not Combat? O.o Useless Assa talents to get Cold Blood? o.O

There are more useless talents in combat, then in assa, imo.

I am assa/sub build,

Atm, I got prep. and imp sap. Rest is in Ass (except for 2points in that SS thing).

Altough, I am a weaponswapping rogue. When I am steatlhed I use a (really stupid) dagger in main. and my normal claws in off. and when I am running around non-stealthed, I use belgroms hammer + same claw in off...
Belgroms = good SS spamming damage :]
And with the dagger I got now. I do about 800-900 (non boosted) ambush criticals :]

Decebalus
22-08-2005, 12:00 PM
actually there is a nice rogue mace in the game...

http://www.thottbot.com/index.cgi?i=36240

Empyrean Demolisher
Binds when picked up
Main Hand Mace
94 - 175 Damage Speed 2.80
(48.0 damage per second)
Durability 105 / 105
Requires Level 60
Chance on hit: Increases your attack speed by 20% for 10 sec.

check the proc... :P

no rogue wanted it, though... so, now a paladin and me have it...

Alakhai
22-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I´d take that mace, especially now since i´m maced specced. (i have abandoned my reaper! :shock: )

Sinar
30-08-2005, 02:22 AM
There are several maces in game worthy of use most notably and relatively easy to aquire is the Mass of McGowan..personally Ive tried all speccs and all weapon and equip build going from full SC set and dual swords back to my original and perfect AP/dagger build..Also I might add for all new players the classic Yojack ss spammer build is best as sword/mace rogs require much less style and skill to use seeing as they can be positioned anywhere with 360 radius around their targets for SS=cp spamming.

Ailith
30-08-2005, 10:05 AM
> Altough, I am a weaponswapping rogue.

I dont ever weap swap really, I just know that's going to get nerfed sometime. You're aware of the 1sec global cooldown coming next patch I guess?

> When I am steatlhed I use a (really stupid) dagger in main.
> And with the dagger I got now. I do about 800-900 (non boosted) ambush criticals.

:shock:

You're high enough lvl (assuming you have MoD) to get Barman, please get it :) If we could group I would take you! 900 crit ambush? Surely you missed another +500\600 dmg on that? :(

Bagrok
30-08-2005, 10:14 AM
go for unarmed

Sinar
30-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Ailith the post starts with "I just started a rogue" I pretty positive he aint 60 yet this is a general info thread

Ailith
30-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Sinar, if you actually look at my post you will see I was quoting and talking to Llort. Who is lvl 54 (or higher, the site still thinks I'm lvl 57 (not a complaint, I know the site gets its information from elsewhere)). :p

thurlog
30-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Ailith the post starts with "I just started a rogue" I pretty positive he aint 60 yet this is a general info thread

Thanks, to be honest... most of the posts: i have no idea whatsoever they're talking about... :D

But i got the info i needed.