View Full Version : A Warrior's guide to succeeding in Warsong Gulch

Muley
19-08-2005, 12:13 PM
A Warrior's guide to succeeding in Warsong Gulch
By Muley (and Chonar)

Despite what you may believe, whether you PuG or perform for warsong, you cannot win unless you play together as a team, this is usually the main reason why PuGs lose because the players don’t know and thus don’t listen to eachother. (Och aye! Take charge of that bunch of hoodlums! Kick 'em out of that flagroom and send em into that field!)

Looking at warrior abilities we can see that any type of warrior can make a good contribution to a winning team. Firstly, most classes have a slowing technique…in our case it's Hamstring or the lovely Piercing Howl, and secondly we can do a lot of damage when need be, or take it if you are def specced. (The best way of slowing yer opponents is to make em quite, quite dead! I personally suggest axes for this job, but any sharp or heavy blunt piece of metal will suffice in the end. However, when they are chasing your flag carrier, death aint the best option! Slowin' em down keeps em from getting lucky with the rezz timer.)

As you may or may not know, defense in warsong should never be done in our flag room, a winning team takes the midfield at the start of a game and keeps it. Holding the mid means the team can both protect their own flag carrier across the dangerous open space or take down any enemy flag carriers. I always find that helping to dominate the mid at the start is a good idea because for the first minute there is no threat of flag carriers. As a warrior you would do best to take down clothies as fast as possible i.e. mages, priests and warlocks. You can sink them pretty fast with a few MS crits. (Squish squish go the squishies! Clothie goes squish and SMASH AND REND, MAIM, TEAR, SMASH, KILL THEM ALL.)

After your team has settled in you can start to rip things up a little, as I mentioned above, take down the clothies and in general lay waste to anything you see…keep your eye on stray players though as they are likely to be going for the flag. (They will sneakily sneak along the sides most of the times, see? Also, be sure to follow along the squishyness factor. Kill clothies first, then move to leather, mail, and plate last, unless anything threatens your healers.)

When the flag does get taken, mount up and start riding back, I usually take the ramp up to the top (near GY) unless I have been informed otherwise. Make sure you are aware of the class that has the flag…this is extremely important as you need to prepare for attack. (Look at that name! Type /tar (name), copy it, and ctrl-V paste it for quick re-selection.) This is the sort of thing that I think about if the classes any of these:

Rogues: Well spyeyes has taught them all his lovely vanish/dropflag/pickup flag move that cancels out any slowing moves…(Omg hax.) this is ok though…start off with a charge and hit hamstring right away…watch them vanish and get ready to use that spare rage on spamming piercing howl…if he trys to vanish again just continue the spammage (bloodrage if you get short of rage although this comes in handy later) and then once they have lost their tricks you can hit them with a proper hamstring…I always find my hamstring gets dodged meaning I can overpower but that’s kind of useless when they are going to get away fast…as they start to zoom off…switch to zerker stance…bloodrage…intercept and spam either hamstring or PH…to date I have never let a rogue get out of my grasp (when they were on their own) with this technique except for spyeyes the first time he did his vanish trick…. (Nerf vanish.)

Shaman: Highly similar to above…I am not entirely sure on the CD on their shapeshifting, which cancels out slowing moves, but I know Huga doesn’t do it as much as I thought he would do so its actually an easier version than the story above…mortal strike is KEY if they stop to heal. (Pummel em good if you can react that fast. The PVP warrior gauntlets reduce the rage cost for Hamstring. Time to spam it!)

Priest or Warlock: This is very unlikely but sometimes these classes do go for flag…just charge and switch to zerk stance…put on zerker rage to be immune to fear and start to plug away at them…MS is key if they are a priest. (MS is the key for any clothies. Clothies go smish and squish)

(Mage: Silly Muley, you forgot the blinking, freezy firey sheepy kind of squishy. The mage is actually an annoying flagrunner, sometimes. Frost shield automatically slows melee, and that Blink is nasty. Just be sure to use Intercept at exactly the right moment. The stun from intercept works better than the slow from hamstring. Though of course, that doesnt mean you shouldnt hamstring the lil' buggers, aye?)

Warrior: Utterly stupid. Any warrior that goes for flag and isn’t 100% confident with his teams dominance is going to die extremely fast…they can do very very little to stop themselves being killed. Perhaps an intimidating shout provides a small distraction but other than that they are useless in this part of the game. Just rip them apart as soon as they go for flag. (If you're fully loaded with Tanking Gear, and a priest or druid is nearby, give it a try if noone else is going for it. If no mages come in to screw it up, you can survive an ungodly amount of pummeling, giving your mates enough time to peel them off of ya. As a rule though, dont do it. Yer not fast enough. Though Intercept is nice if an enemy is coming for you from the other side. "Thanks for being there mate!")

Druid: Ah yes…possibly the hardest to deal with…the CD on shapeshifting is pretty much nothing and the good druids constantly shift to avoid hamstring and PH…without help from others with slowing these guys down I really don’t favour your chances…the only thing we can all be thankful for is that most horde druids are moonfire spammers… (Get on yer mount and ride after em. Yer best chance is the Stun from Charge, and then the second stun from Intercept.)

Other than the classes listed above most are pretty common sense to deal with…the most important thing I can stress is to slow rather than damage…for example if I see spy running with the flag and huga behind him ready for the heals/warstomps/totems I go for charge + intimidating shout + piercing howl…this tends to send huga off into the distance and gives me some time to deal with spy…remember: you want to buy time for your team mates to come and help you out so instead of wasting rage on wtfpwning him just slow him down and buy some time.

I cannot stress that above point enough…

So we have dealt with damage on the field and flag recovery. The other main aspect for warriors is flag protection. I find that the way I play I am usually protecting the carrier for the last ½ of the field. This can tend to be where the most crazy stuff goes down...horde are getting desperate to get the flag back and are going all out. Running behind the carrier and spamming piercing howl is extremely effective at slowing down the legions of horde and keeping the damage on the carrier to a minimum. I have seen chonar do some pretty fantastic spam hamstrings on 3+ targets which I don’t think I could do but /salute to him for it as its very good. Should things get desperate you always have intimidating shout to rely on but with mages spamming AoE it tends to get negated quite fast…Once the carrier is in the tunnel its not your problem any more and you can happily pick off the remaining horde. (*hums the themesong from 'the Bodyguard'* Once yer done with Hamstrings and Piercing howl, use the rest of yer rage on Demoralizing shout and Disarming rogues. If ya cant slow em anymore, best you can do is remove their damage output.)

The horde are common believers in “the best defense is a good offense” and I always see the mighty rolacka going for alliance flag instead of joining the zerg on our flag carrier…she can zoom past all the action fast enough the grab the flag and be a major pain…I tend to leave the fight and trail that player. (Communcation at this point is a good thing too. If you're frozen, sapped, sheeped, seduced, whatever... the only thing you can do is to tell your mates where the enemy is going.)

I hope this guide helps any of the newer warriors in warsong, please post (constructively) if you have anything to add to this. (The Arcanite Reaper is a marvel of modern Society.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will let this sit on forums for a week and if anyone wants to add some comments please do...i will then make a final copy so it can be put in the guides section.

Jarelan
19-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Piercing howl is good :) like you say the last half of no mans land and up the tunnel can be coped with if you spam PH...I remember helping kathra score just by keeping everyone else around her snared.

ps you know posting here is for the Horde too? lol

Turiel
19-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Good stuff Muley - could you please submit it as a guide? Click on "Submit Guide" on the left hand side menu on the main homepage.

Thanks.

Taurusos
19-08-2005, 01:05 PM
I need a warriors guide to "how-to-find-warrior-designers-office-and-blow-the-place-up-guide"

Pls email me or PM.

Tnx.

/Taurusos

Muley
19-08-2005, 02:04 PM
roffles taur

Pogel
20-08-2005, 09:17 AM
I'd like to add that zerker rage not only makes you immune to fear (for a short period of time), but it can also *break* fear when you're already feared. My strategy to fight those warlocks and priests is to charge in, go zerker stance, hit em a few times (warlock will probably try to seduce, priests often PW:Shield) and you only hit zerker rage AFTER you get feared. This way you won't waste it cos you know for sure the priest/lock has used it :)
Apparently berserker rage also breaks rogue saps and other stuff, but I haven't tried it. IMO being in berserker stance while fighting a rogue is a bad idea because of the 10% increased dmg taken. I usually stay in battle stance so I can use overpower anytime :P

Muley
20-08-2005, 04:21 PM
Nice comment pogel..keep em coming guys :)

Locowar
20-08-2005, 05:35 PM
I'd like to add that zerker rage not only makes you immune to fear (for a short period of time), but it can also *break* fear when you're already feared. My strategy to fight those warlocks and priests is to charge in, go zerker stance, hit em a few times (warlock will probably try to seduce, priests often PW:Shield) and you only hit zerker rage AFTER you get feared. This way you won't waste it cos you know for sure the priest/lock has used it :)
Apparently berserker rage also breaks rogue saps and other stuff, but I haven't tried it. IMO being in berserker stance while fighting a rogue is a bad idea because of the 10% increased dmg taken. I usually stay in battle stance so I can use overpower anytime :P
Berserker rage breaks gouge and sap... I use it all the time, to surprise em:)

Jarelan
20-08-2005, 07:52 PM
berserker rage breaks warstomp too :)

Chonar
20-08-2005, 09:57 PM

Aye. "Immune to knockout effects" and all.

Flagg
21-08-2005, 12:52 AM

I think its best to stay in zerker stance when fighting rogues, the 10% increase damage does suck but then thats better then being chain stuned in battle stance and taking 5 times that much while waiting for a stun to wear off.

As for overpower do the Stance Dance charge > rend (cant stealth) zerker stance > MS (Rogue dodges) > Battle Stance > overpower > back to zerker.......works for hunters that use Aspect of the Monkey too I think

-Flagg-

Flagg
21-08-2005, 12:54 AM

Aye. "Immune to knockout effects" and all.

Damn wish I new that earlier got warstomped by some very unhappy taurens several times

-Flagg-

Locowar
21-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Shaman: Highly similar to above…I am not entirely sure on the CD on their shapeshifting, which cancels out slowing moves, but I know Huga doesn’t do it as much as I thought he would do so its actually an easier version than the story above…mortal strike is KEY if they stop to heal. (Pummel em good if you can react that fast. The PVP warrior gauntlets reduce the rage cost for Hamstring. Time to spam it!)
Ghost wolf is just a travel from, you can be slowed while a ghost wolf, and it takes 3 second to cast(1 sec if specced).

Flawless
21-08-2005, 07:23 PM
interesting *strokes goattie* huga eh.....ghost eh.....wolf eh......slowing eh......3 second cast interesitng...

Ashborn
21-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Every shammy has the talent tho :roll:

Ruargh
21-08-2005, 08:34 PM
every shaman with a brain yes ^^, but its not much use if youre hamstringed so just keep spamming that yes ^^

Muley
22-08-2005, 08:48 AM
*cough* spam hamstring ftw

Robinvi
22-08-2005, 09:27 AM
hmmmm... This must be Alliance Warriors guide too WSG! I can't see any paladins...
Nerf warriors o_O :lol: :wink:

Turiel
22-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Write a guide to playing paladin in WSG then. Actually, *please* write a guide :P

Flagg
22-08-2005, 02:37 PM
every shaman with a brain yes ^^, but its not much use if youre hamstringed so just keep spamming that yes ^^

....well if you insist

-Flagg-

Bagrok
25-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Nerf. Charge!

Nerf!

NB: Frost Shock + Earthbind Totem ftw!

Locowar
25-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Yes I know I've said this before... but please edit this... just shows how ignorant most people are about the shaman class...... Ghost wolf -DOES NOT- cancel movement impaering effects(next time.... please read a shaman guide over their spells... or try one before assuming stuff:))

Taurusos
25-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Yes I know I've said this before... but please edit this... just shows how ignorant most people are about the shaman class...... Ghost wolf -DOES NOT- cancel movement impaering effects(next time.... please read a shaman guide over their spells... or try one before assuming stuff:))

I remember our early days Loco....remember when questing in Hillsbrad mate? for the skulls of the farmers? And we kept getting pitchforks all the time and selling them?

...man....

with all the seriousness and MC stuff, one can really miss the simple early days....

ah the memories....Eternal Horde....bah :cry: :cry:

a walk down the memory lane....damn Loco...

remember Locowarsing?

Now im getting emotional....

bah

/Taurusos

Flagg
25-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Nerf. Charge!
!

Didn't I see you in Goldshire yesterday?

Huh? I really didn't know that ....so what does a shaman do to dispel hamstring? Purge? Can they even dispel it?

-Flagg-

Ashborn
25-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Hun? I really didn't know that ....so what does a shaman do to dispel hamstring? Purge? Can they even dispel it?

The shaman pvp trinket dispels all movement slowing effects. Once every 5min. And that's all they can do. (In fact, the only movement slowing effect they can get rid of without the trinket or outside help is crippling poison)

Locowar
25-08-2005, 06:04 PM
They cant dispell... they can only cure poisons/diseases(sp?)
(and yes Taur I remember those good old days:'()

Ruargh
25-08-2005, 07:31 PM
priests got dispells on all
pala got dispell on friendly
shaman got dispell on hostile
its that simple :)

so indeed they only thing we can get rid off is poison/disease

too bad we cant purge bubbles ;)

Flagg
25-08-2005, 08:05 PM
priests got dispells on all
pala got dispell on friendly
shaman got dispell on hostile
its that simple :)

so indeed they only thing we can get rid off is poison/disease

too bad we cant purge bubbles ;)

People always assume things about other classes abilities/skills and I guess knowing your enemies strengths/weeknesses is key to winning but hey thats what the forums are for, keep the good info following.

-Flagg-

sara
25-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Actually, the bubble that they can attack through (at a reduced rate) is dispellable.

AFAICR you can cast spells through it too, it's only physical immunity.

Flagg
25-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Actually, the bubble that they can attack through (at a reduced rate) is dispellable.

Think it was a reference to a pally bubble?

-Flagg-

Bagrok
25-08-2005, 09:17 PM
HAHAHAHAAHAH Flagg =D i hate u! :P i was trying to mountainclimb into SW so u wouldn't get me.... he charged me -_- Bah!

P.S: Corpsecamper! :O

Ruargh
25-08-2005, 09:53 PM

Think it was a reference to a pally bubble?

-Flagg-

i was referring to the mother of all bubbles yes :lol:

hmmm... the melee shield can be purged... interesting :D

Ashborn
25-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Wrong. The bubble shield, the one they can attack through, can't be affected by anything. It gives *absolute* immunity. Even immunity to dispels. The physical shield has no visual effect, prevents them from attacking, and can be dispelled.

Flagg
25-08-2005, 10:15 PM
HAHAHAHAAHAH Flagg =D i hate u! :P i was trying to mountainclimb into SW so u wouldn't get me.... he charged me -_- Bah!

P.S: Corpsecamper! :O

Hehe I love you too

Corpsecamper? I hit and run bud :razz:

-Flagg-

Bagrok
26-08-2005, 01:16 AM
u camped! :P on ur little mount waiting for me to appear... luckely the GY was that far my pvp went off when i got to u =D

Flagg
26-08-2005, 06:21 AM
u camped! :P on ur little mount waiting for me to appear... luckely the GY was that far my pvp went off when i got to u =D

Nope wasn't me that was still there then, I left after you and your buddy were dead, never saw you respawn

-Flagg-

Bagrok
26-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Nope wasn't me that was still there then, I left after you and your buddy were dead, never saw you respawn

-Flagg-

offtopic ftw!

Iyachtu
06-09-2006, 04:57 AM
practicing the art of thread necromancy,.. i feel compelled to add something to this long dead topic..

to succeed in warsong as a warrior, you have to smash faces, and dont have downs.

Stim
12-11-2006, 04:46 PM
to succeed in WSG you gotta be Naxx/rank14 geared baddie... Or be pawned by them mages all over the place =/

Flawless
12-11-2006, 04:50 PM
to succeed in WSG you gotta be Naxx/rank14 geared baddie... Or be pawned by them mages all over the place =/>_>

dantheman
12-11-2006, 05:35 PM
extreme thread necromancy ;p

Stim
12-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Not for me... WSG rep grind mode is enabled!!! (It'll be a hell long week)
later edit: omg... two weeks o_O

Chou
05-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Was just bored so i thought i could love to read some old posts in the best section of this forum.

I try so hard to win wsg games, but it still fails :( gief more rep so i can be exalted plx.

Gyundor
05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
extreme thread necromancy ;p

Chonar
05-05-2008, 10:13 PM
It's not necromancy if it's been stickied for well over a year!

Stim
15-05-2008, 05:25 PM
The answer to this topic is:
Healers Harem.