View Full Version : Scatter shot or wyvern sting?

TheFallen
18-08-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm having trouble to choose.

EDIT: scatter shot now takes us out of combat. My choice is made, scatter shot FTW!

- Scatter shot: 'a getoutoftrouble shot', Lifesaver against rogues,warriors and great for interupts.

- Wyvern sting: Great opening shot: when you see somebody running or whatever, shoot it and you get time to prepare yourself for bandage,drink, getting back to range(12secs time).

:roll: I wonder what you people think :roll:

Felwen
18-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Wyvern Sting!

JeFF
18-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Wyvern Sting sounds cooler... TAKE IT!

Temmink
18-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Isn't wyvern sting a bit useless in instances, since the dot prevent sheeping and seduce?

TheFallen
18-08-2005, 12:13 PM
i was thinking of wyvern sting aswell;-) But in pvp, my scattershot is on cooldown all the time, so i use it alot:p

TheFallen
18-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Isn't wyvern sting a bit useless in instances, since the dot prevent sheeping and seduce?

i'm more talking about pvp and no?

- Sheep 1, seduce 1, sting other-> you don't go and sheep a dotted mob:-)

- Wyvern sting is classed as a 'sting' and only 1 sting can be active at the time. At the moment we can remove serpent sting(the dot) with non damage sting, scorpid sting. Normally this should work for wyvern aswell(alowing us to multitrap even better!:-)

Rukia
18-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Well, I've lived without Scattershot until now...only dabbled with it on test servers. So I think it's likely I'll be going for Wyvern sting. It seems that in pvp breaking it could be a problem, but if the team know I'll be using wyvern on whatever I HM that should stop most accidents, I hope. Since this will be useful in face offs.

And limited crowd control is better than none, pve wise.

soulshift
18-08-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm going for scatter shot.

Reason is, wyvern sting places a DoT also, one which cannot be removed by quickly using another sting.

A trap lasts longer, can retrap, has the same problem as wyvern sting to only be OoC and has clear and familiar graphics and thus less chance that someone is hit out of it.
Also traps can be seen on the ground by people in your party.

Scatter shot does not only stop casters from casting but also stops flagrunners who used a free action pot.
Scatter shot could also be used to scatter any healer close to the flagcarrier, giving a 4+ second time window to kill the carrier if it was done right.
Scatter can also make people walk into a trap if they like stop infront of it instead.

Plus I rely on at least one of my teammates to pick it.
As I hinted in other topics, my hunter is purely supportive, not solo pvp.
I cant solo many classes but crit alot around 600-900 autoshot, 1600-2300 aimed shot and such.

So I have no use for wyvern sting. :P

Rukia
18-08-2005, 03:21 PM
A trap lasts longer, can retrap, has the same problem as wyvern sting to only be OoC and has clear and familiar graphics and thus less chance that someone is hit out of it.
Also traps can be seen on the ground by people in your party.

A trap is not a guaranteed CC for all classes. While warriors are a safe bet, mages hardy get into my traps, and Wyvern would be almost a certain hit. And lol @ the 'clear and familiar graphics' bit...you know as well as me that some warrior will go charging the trapped enemy while leaving that cow shaman to crack his knuckles ;p

Wyvern isn't inferior to traps, it just gives us more CC to use in different situations. Which is a perfectly valid reason to pick Wyvern, as are yours for Scattershot. All comes down to playstyle. ;]

TheFallen
18-08-2005, 03:21 PM
@soul

-How do you know that the dot can't be removed? Since it is a sting it should be able to. Got a blue confirmation of this?:-)

-Traps: last langer, can retrap-> they need to walk into trap. With wyvern sting you can, when watching a mage running towards you, shoot the sting. Prepare for battle+aimed shot as opening and then you go on as you normally do:)

-FAP:Impossible to know if wyvern will work in that situtation:-)

Scatter shot stops healer for 4seconds, wyvern for 12secs:).

it has both supportive as solo things, just like scatter shot i'd say:).

Mathawas
18-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Wyvern Sting only usable out of combat = BLEH

Scatter Shot 4 teh wheen!

soulshift
18-08-2005, 05:02 PM
@soul

-How do you know that the dot can't be removed? Since it is a sting it should be able to. Got a blue confirmation of this?:-)

Blizz hinted twice that the DoT itself comes WITH the sting and is seen as a poison effect. :P
(edit: see imp scorpid)

-Traps: last langer, can retrap-> they need to walk into trap. With wyvern sting you can, when watching a mage running towards you, shoot the sting. Prepare for battle+aimed shot as opening and then you go on as you normally do:)

Ask Auril how i calculated the traps with her overkill of blinking, i trapped at the exact spot she was going to blink.
Which means mages do get trapped and Wyvern is not needed in my case. :P

-FAP:Impossible to know if wyvern will work in that situtation:-)

FAP?

Scatter shot stops healer for 4seconds, wyvern for 12secs:).

If the healer heals someone or himself who is in combat, you cannot use the sting.
It's an OoC sting only.

it has both supportive as solo things, just like scatter shot i'd say:).

Yet scatter has 78% more chance on saving my life. :P
Sticking with it cause of that.

TheFallen
18-08-2005, 05:12 PM
-Blast blizzard :-( not being able to remove the dot is spoils it:-/

-FAP: Free Action Potion.

- Exact timing with traps is pretty good, if you can do that, very nice;-)

-scattershot is indeed a lifesaver, wyvern sting never will be:-(

but still, when a shammy or whatever is running towards me, shooting wyvern sting can be good opening:-)

Hmm, thanks for making my choice harder :(

soulshift
18-08-2005, 08:15 PM
-FAP: Free Action Potion.

Ah my mind is too perverted for such....words...

Edit: typo. >.

agx
30-08-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm having trouble to choose.
- Scatter shot: 'a getoutoftrouble shot', Lifesaver against rogues,warriors and great for interupts.

IMHO isn't that good against warrior since its only 4 sec and WAR has a longeer spell effect ...10/13 secs

Bagrok
30-08-2005, 09:56 AM
go for scatter sting!

Mathawas
30-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Where is the none of the above option? 8)

TheFallen
30-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Where is the none of the above option? 8)

i'm going neither now aswell, BM/survival FTW;-)

Bagrok
30-08-2005, 04:18 PM
OK i checked hunters talent & i'd say go for scatter shot because the rest in that talent tree rocks too =D