View Full Version : Priests boring in early levels?

Felwen
18-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi guys,

I am thinking of starting a priest on Shadowsong but having played one before up to about level 15 I found it quite boring, I know it will get better later on when I can start doing instances and healing people etc but what did all you high level priests do to escape the boredom early on in the game?

Kabhanda
18-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Thing with priest is, untill you get spirit tap maxed (so level 14) trying to kill stuff solo leaves you sat drinking after every kill, its so damn slow, and at that low a level people don't need much in the way of healing.

So yes, priest is really quite dull at very low levels, but once you make it to say level 20 it gets much better :razz:

TheFallen
18-08-2005, 11:35 AM
MC FtW. I used MC helm on a horde once in WSG, after the game was over i got a whisper from him, something like this.

(make a note, lvl 51-60 BG zone, don't remember his lvl) "Omg, i reported you! you cheeting nuub! i cud have powned if ya hadn't used that priest talent thingy! Mind controlling!!"

Priests:-) Probably most feared class among pvp'rs?:-p

Ruargh
18-08-2005, 11:36 AM
shadowpriests rock! :D

but indeed untill you got spirit tap it can get a lil dull :)
once beyond that, there soo easy it hurts ^^

Temmink
18-08-2005, 12:11 PM
I made a priest alt like everyone else and going shadow for leveling purposes is basicly mandatory if you want to kill stuff smoothly. Spirit tap, black out, mindflay, vampiric embrace, silence, shadow focus...It's all so gooood.

Though for good fun do what I do: team up with a warlock for questing. Talk about an overpowered duo. :)

TheFallen
18-08-2005, 12:13 PM
How do you spell 'N-E-R-F' ? 8)

Athena
19-08-2005, 02:49 AM
I leveled my priest with 1 other person a lot of the early levels, I find that a priest and most other classes can get through a lot of stuff faster than solo generally. I started soloing around 24 though when I had no one to play with, and didn't do too bad. Got up to 32 so far mostly by myself. It's way more fun with people though.

Meri
27-08-2005, 09:02 AM
After lvl 20 or so, Priests get relatively easy to solo, due to Spirit Tap, Shadow Focus (or Blackout YMMV) and Mind Flay. You can take routinely mobs 2 levels higher than you. But it is quite balanced by being along with the rogue, the weakest class against multiple mobs; and that never really changes, except for MC thinning of mobpacks. The fun and profit of MC is to find the mobs that give you the best buffs. +80 Arcane or Fire resistance for 1 hour for example are quite nice. Or you can MC a healer type and use its superior healing spells on yourself and friends. ;)

Coven
08-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Priests start to get good at 24, they're dull up until about 20 and get a friend to duo with up until that point.

After a few pointers from a high level priest in my guild, I can now take down single mobs up to 4 levels higher than me with no real difficulty (may need to heal after). Also 2-3 mobs at your level or slightly below are managable.

Shadow spec.

Oh, and get the best wand you can for your level, money very well spent.

EDIT: Shadowform - handy trick that. Makes you uber at soloing and grinding for xp between quests. Been using since I turned 40 and will have a very hard time altering builds at 60 - fingers crossed they're making heal tree fun to play, or may as well just create NPC healbots and be done with it.

NOTE about mobs 4 levels higher - if you choose to do this, pick mobs without poisons or stuns, they can be tricky if they resist any shadow spells. Recently been taking on lvl 47 wolves and trolls just to see how I faired, and my mana is pretty much gone at the end and I'm fairly low on health. 2 levels higher is a much safer bet as they are no trouble and you can take 3 at a time, plus they relinquish pretty much the same XP. The only reason I like 3-4 levels higher is that they have drops I want to use and at my level rather than instant vend or AH items too low level to be worrying about. Why did Blizz do that?

Felwen
21-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Well I am up to level 28 now and playing a priest is a LOT of fun at this point. I can kill most mobs of my own level and only lose a fraction of my health if I use a lot of spells, alternatively I can lose a bit more health but conserve mana by using my wand as well as spells. I can take down mobs 3 levels above me without a great deal of trouble.

I have gone 100% shadow with my talent points so far and i think I will continue to do so until I get shadowform. Hopefully I will reach level 60 before they release the expansion!