View Full Version : ShadowsongEurope.com to shut down

Turiel
20-01-2013, 06:58 PM
** ShadowsongEurope.com will shut down on 1st March **

It's been a long road. We launched in 2005, in the first few months of WoW.

The site has seen over 2 million visits.

It was, at one point, the most popular realm forum for any server, US or EU.

We have almost 20,000 members who have made almost a quarter of a million posts.

Our top poster is (still) Chonar, with 5636 posts.

The biggest thread is Last post gets 6000g. It might be time for Gumdrops to pay up.

The most viewed thread is TBC Raid Progress.

We chronicled the rise and fall of World of Warcraft through 4 expansions and 8 years.

Wrath of the Lich King was the high point of Shadowsong, and SSE. December 8th, 2009 was our biggest day ever. It coincided with the release of the Fall of the Lich King, patch 3.3.

If you played during the peak years of WoW, especially if you raided, reading through the old threads in the forum will feel like reading an old diary. It sounds weird to say, but quite a bit of a few years of our lives are recorded here. Anyone who spent 20+ hours a week raiding or PVPing will know what I mean.

But it's time to say goodbye.

Robinvi
20-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Thanks a lot for hosting this site.

Been visiting regulary even though it's been a few years since i really played the game, and I've noticed it's been pretty much dead the last year.

I've spent many hours here, and I have had lots of fun. I think this forum is the main reason our server had such an amazing community. I remeber the best of threads, raid progress and a lot of drama threads that brought a lot of action to the game.

Goodbye everyone!

Thordyn
20-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Oh man.. Even thought I spent my most recent memories of WoW on another realm, Shadowsong was always my home.

Thanks for hosting the party Turiel, this site encouraged a cross-faction community that I think was quite rare in the early Vanilla days.

Later guys.

Fanapee
20-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Had some fun times pvping , my son's still playing , though it seems funny even he is out growing it now he took over all my toons and it makes me feel very old, still some good memories , bye to anyone I may have crossed paths with.:)

Shead
20-01-2013, 08:27 PM
:< bye guys, was a blast playing with you guys back in the days when WoW was a good game :)

Valoran
20-01-2013, 08:50 PM
buy. thanks 4 fish.

Hephaestos
20-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Damnit T00riel, always have to go ahead and press the wrong button :(

For all ya old timers, It's been a blast, I will never forget the epicness of Shadowsong Europe (mostly vanilla).

I've since long quit (even got my 2-years wow-free badge from the WoW-Anonymous support group).

Will never forget:
A weekend-long Alterac Valley against Chonar and his cronies.
The entire might of the horde (a whole 40 not-so-raid-ready, overeager and under-prepared players) stepping foot into Molten Core, kicking ass and taking names.
Taurusos for nights long of forum funs.
Cross-Roads "PvP" for hours on end, until they introduced the honor grind :<

- Hephaestos (still a lvl 60 warlock on SS-Horde)

ps. FOR THE HORDE!
pps. Feel free to bnet friend me, I still occasionally play some D3 when I'm bored :)
bnet tag = KarroK#2144

Firien
20-01-2013, 10:04 PM
I never posted here much although I've been playing the game for years, since mid 2005 in fact. Still kind of sorry to see the place go though and I hope there are plans to archive some of the funnier posts from the distant past for memories sake! ;)

Derthorn
21-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Wow, haven't been on this forum for ages, and haven't played WoW for as long. I might not have posted a lot on this forum but back in the day I used to visit it more often than anything else on the web. I still remember when the big treasure hunt was going on and I thought it was one of the best things I'd ever seen in WoW. Thank you for keeping this forum for so long, and I hope that it brought as much joy to every other Shadowsonger as it did to me.

Talsin
21-01-2013, 06:41 AM
ooh, its been ages..

in anycase had some good times reading and keeping up with the latest drama's
and even worse to look at the drama's which were still in my old inbox here hehe.

salute to all the old ones here. (if you are an eve player these days, head me up a message to Talaq)

TC guys and t00riel check your pm :P

Apex
21-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Will there be any plans for archive this stuff? Would be pretty sad to see it all disappear.

evlyxx
21-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Sad to see the old girl put to rest but with so little activity here I can understand the reasoning.

Thanks to all that ran the site and those that contributed, I got my raiding break because of a post here (http://www.shadowsongeurope.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12248) so my wife will never forgive any of you!!

Chimera
21-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Rip.

Suricarta
21-01-2013, 01:37 PM
My last visit here was back in 2009, I moved onto Star Trek Online back then. I have many many fond memories on the Shadowsong server, as well a on these forums. Some of the drama that happened all those years ago still makes for fun conversation, even now. Even though I do no longer play, seeing the email that this site was closing hashed up alot of old memories and as such, I just wanted to pop by and say thank you very much for hosting these forums, and thank you too all the people I played alongside with backwhen I was playing, it was genuinely a pleasure and I'm happy to be able to say I'm a Vanilla WoW veteran! :-)

XeD
21-01-2013, 03:35 PM
wow, blast from the past with that email I got :D

I haven't been playing WoW since the end of TBC, but I still remember the vanilla and TBC days as if it was yesterday. I had a great time with a lot of the old school players and hope you're all doing well

As for the Shadowsong forums, I always used them with great pleasure, thanks for all that you guys did for the community :)

(if you're an old-time friend and wanna chat some time, feel free to add me on skype as xtincthed)

btw my new addiction: www.dr-retro.com

Harr
21-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Brings back memories... Haven't played WoW for a few years now.

Thanks for all the good times!

Ufthak
21-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Feeling really nostalgic when I think now about those times... Good times, thank you! =)

Jarelan
21-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Got your e-mail Turiel, thanks for everything you did for Shadowsong outside the game. The chatbox (oogie box) was a god send for many boring days at work.

This forum was a great source of info, fun and drama in sometimes equal proportions.

I'm still playing and enjoying the game with a lot of the oldskoolers in CoI. There aren't many of us left.

It's a shame to lose the forum but I know myself I don't come here much, it has had its time :(

I'm on Maelyn or Jarelan if anyone still plays.

Nute
22-01-2013, 12:07 PM
shame to see such an epic site go. is was the community on this website that drew me to SSE back in vanilla

peace!

Tyrannis
23-01-2013, 01:11 AM
Shame to see it happen but understandable, this forum holds the true history of the realm even if we never got a chance to write it ourselves.

Thanks to every on the site team over the years who helped Turiel with the workload.

Thanks to everyone who contributed (good and bad) to the forums back in its hey day this was a place where all the cool kids hung out.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the server community, I've made a lot of friends on here and in game and it was great to be a part of something special, from the XR days to our Forsaken Crusaders SS/TM battles, FTH3 (FTW) raids, the AQ opening event and through every expansion since seems like only yesterday this forum opened.

Anyway you can find me on battle tag Tyrannis#2210 still have some chars on Horde and Alliance.

/peace

DurnaugsElbow
24-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Wow. Got the update email. Thanks for that. Listen, good luck everyone and thanks for the drama and the fun. Kudos and "bigratz" for maintaining a highly successful site for all those years. I really do miss the virtual comradeship of those early days.

Ferghee

PS sometimes when I try to get onto this site I get a Glasgow Dating site, wtf?

PPS yeh, do a google search for "shadowsongeurope", click on any of the links and you get a completely different site...wonder if I have malware...

PPPS ffs!

zhaman
25-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Sad to see this site go, but it had a very good run, lots of great memories on these forums. Thanks for all the time and effort you guys put into it!

Flawless
25-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Good memories of the shit talk that went on here.

I'm still playing and enjoying the game with a lot of the oldskoolers in CoI. There aren't many of us left.

We stole them.

Elexin
25-01-2013, 06:47 PM
Oh gosh, I haven't been around for ages, but getting that message actually made me sad.
SSE not being there any more will just be wrong somehow. It's the end of an era :(

I periodically want to return, because my time playing wow on Shadowsong is one of my better memories, and I want to get in contact with all the people I used to talk to, but I've always felt really self conscious about it. Especially after I dropped contact the way I did. I had no choice over it, and by the time I did I was never really sure how to go about reconnecting.
I've always sort of wondered; If I go back now, will I even remember how to play? Will there still be anyone I know? Will anyone still want to know me?

So, at the risk of sounding like a needy, weird fool, I'm going to take this chance and say: Is there?
I miss my old friends! :(
If anyone does want to chat again, whether you still play or not please let me know!. While you still can!
I don't recall offhand which account I used to use, so I just set up a rather rubbishly named gmail account for the purpose (elexinshadowsong at gmail dot com), should anyone actually want to ;)

And even if you don't, I still want to say thank you.

Thank you to Turiel for this place, and for keeping it open so long.
Thank you to everyone I used to know, Horde and Alliance, whether I was ever guilded with you or not. I'm half tempted to list names, and half terrified I'd miss someone out if I tried to after all this time ;)
Sappy though it is to say, you all helped to make Shadowsong a 'home' of sorts. You all helped to make it the server I loved when I still played. This forum made the community something special.

So Thank You. To Everyone.
I wish you all well :)

Jarelan
25-01-2013, 09:26 PM
hai Elexin, not sure what's about on horde side having never played...a lot of Hive went to try Star Wars a year ago. Alliance side, MCO and CoI have a fair few oldskoolers, outside that I'm not sure. Original are still about too.

Oorwillie
26-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Tried to come back a couple times after TBC, but never felt the game reached those pinnacles since. Tried again last year, but couldn't find any of the old Devotion team online. But this was a great forum and those were great times, thanks for everything!

Trying to play TOR at the mo, but not really getting into it, but if anyone from Devo wants to get in touch, easiest way would be Steam, Aos001.

MikoWolf
29-01-2013, 11:05 PM
thanks for the mail Turiel and sad to see it go off like this :(
Last time i logged on was in 19-04-2009, such a long time ago, and seeing every ones nicks just brings me back memories, long forgotten ones :(

Hope everyone is ok and maybe well see eachother in different games? :<
And hi to all of the familioru faces :D

Karlsen
30-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Wow, a lot of good memories from the old vanilla days. Actually some of the best memories of my life however wierd that must sound.

Started playing WoW in '05 with some of my friends. We lived quite far apart IRL, so WOW was our way of staying in touch. The hours we spent playing this game was insane i feel. Never really made it into WoTLK too much, but i really miss WoW sometimes. Sometimes i get the free 7 days playtime emails and play a couple of hours, but it seems like a grind now.

I remember being in MCO and some of the other guilds back in the day. Almost got into CoI with Thrane (dwarf warrior) i remember. But i stayed with Irksome Invaders and had a blast :) Remember the good old 40 man Molten Core runs. Those were the days!

Thanks for a lot of nice memories which i will never forget. Hopefully a MMORPG worthy of ones time will soon rise. I miss it!

Karlsen
30-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Someone should make a "Shadowsong wikipedia". I remember a lot of names and episodes. The Sanctuary PVP teams and such. Can remember quite a lot of names when i browse the boards, but not everything in detail. A shame to let all this history go to waste :P

Backupo
30-01-2013, 04:07 PM
God this brings back memories! Even if I was a little immature and a bit of a wind up back in the day, I absolutely loved the server and this website. Amazing how long its been running and I remember having a lot of fun reading what was happening on here. I think it also made me a better player back then. Haven't played in years but this website has made me strangely nostalgic and its funny to think that the few years playing WoW were a small but significant part of my life which I had forgotten.

Wish everyone the best and thanks Turiel for sending out this announcement and running the website all these years.

Đightrain
31-01-2013, 11:39 PM
SSE is bester server )))))

I agree.

Also thinking about it, this forum was probably the main reason that the game was worth playing (sure as hell wasn't the 1 hour queues just to fight either Yin/Tsarina's or Muh's premade). So thanks Turiel and whoever kept this place going, wouldn't have been as fun without the drama this place caused.

Kenny
01-02-2013, 12:01 AM
Well this sucks. I kinda just figured this site would be here forever. It kind of says a lot when you look at how many of the really old members are still going to this site after all this time. 2006 is quite some time ago.

toru
01-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I agree.

Also thinking about it, this forum was probably the main reason that the game was worth playing (sure as hell wasn't the 1 hour queues just to fight either Yin/Tsarina's or Muh's premade). So thanks Turiel and whoever kept this place going, wouldn't have been as fun without the drama this place caused.

All that gear and you still couldnt kill me ... ;) Those were the days!

Sad to see SSE go! cant believe that WoW has been a part of our lives for such a long time.

Here is to the Friends we Made and those that we Lost!

Jarelan
02-02-2013, 09:41 AM
I suppose I could do my SSEpedia, though everyone's would be different depending one what they did, maybe some overlap...

Saxo - Dorf Warrior
Chonar - Dorf Warrior
MCO 40 manning MCO
CoI forming
OTD being the original Horde guild to be in
Hohenheim at Astranaar killing everyone
Bergrar and crossroad zergs
Kongmadsvin laughs at you
Turiel, Tsarina, Rukia, Sinar, Magnar, Kathra, Soulshift, Yin, Muley, Naikon, Ycon, Elvenwind, Tin and others I've forgotten doing the premade.
The Swarm pvp team that gave us great games
Naikon ninjaing the Typhoon sword lol
Shara opening the gates in AQ (Scarab Lord) and Shadowsong constantly crashing
24 hour Alterac valley battles
Fleshmissle killing rams in AV LOL
Fleshmissle _ "Louie Armstrong was the first man on the moon"
Tsarina forming Wrath and conquering all that came before them
I'm not your mate!!! thread here which was hilarious.
Orde finding these forums and being banned numerous times for being a prick
The Oogie box that kept us going at work.
Elexin trying to keep the progress threads up to date, what a thankless task that was.
Jonneh - RIP! Great guy.
Jaexi being banned for botting...bad gnome!!!

Meh I'll edit this as more comes back to me.

Oogie
02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm gonna miss you guys! :P

Jurgan
03-02-2013, 03:30 PM
That email was a blast from the past indeed. And damn you Jarelan. All those people you mentioned I still remember them with varying degrees of fondness and downright loathing. Bergrar being one :P

pazoozoo
05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Oh.. Wow. I got the email and it send a sad wave down me. The first few years I had spent at the mercy of the time consuming World of Warcraft (almost making it to 100days /played in a year!!!) was all worth it thanks to you guys who made it the experience it was - Vanilla were the days and for what i got from the server during that time I thank you all. Leading raids 40 man raids to MC and BWL as a 15 year old and juggling WoW with homework and learning was something I never achieved to strike balance in, with the funny thing being I have no requests what so ever.. Thanks ofcourse to those paying to keep this site hosted until now.
Paz cries a little.
Rest in Power SSE.
Paz sighs, then signs out.

Sylfide
06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks for all the work from you guys.
Its been a nice help back in the days with many things but mainly with recruiting and ofc with all the nice drama to keep you occupied :)

Cheers
/Immersion

Maur
08-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Rip SS. Best wishes to everyone from me and Doken. ah memories :)

NaHaliel
11-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Have not played in ages and don't know what prompted me to visit tonight, just like the night about a year ago with the Ashkandi post :P

It seems so distant and almost like a dream now, but for a period of several years SSE was a very important part of my life, and I guess this forum was one of the things that held the community together, so it's almost sad it will not be around if I get the urge to log in next year.

Fact is, it is simply scary to me to think about the time I have logged in the game in the context of everything else I could have done in that time. Then again, I am not one to regret the past - and at the end of the day, there are many people whom I will never meet with which I have nonetheless genuinely enjoyed spending the time thus wasted.

I wanted to list some names, but then realized there may be too many - and that I would probably end up forgetting someone. So instead:
- you who have leveled with me when I had no clue
- you who have shown me what raiding is
- you who have put the trust in me to play an offspec that was laughed at, and let me succeed
- you who have put in tens and hundreds of hours wiping by my side
- you who have chatted with me for hours in front of IF as the sun was coming up
- you who have relentlessly defended stables
- you who have stood by my side in arena
- you who have argued with me in /o but never in /g
- you who have /gquit when I /gquit
- and yes, even you who took it one step above what I wanted to do, although perhaps one step below what I could do, bit I certainly understand your motives
- special thanks to one particular grumbling warrior and my favorite shaman. And one funny-accented rogue

Best of luck in life to you, you know who you are. See you on the flipside!

Turiel
12-02-2013, 03:56 AM
- you who have relentlessly defended stables

Love it!

Jarelan
13-02-2013, 11:01 PM
fuck stables all to BS!!

DurnaugsElbow
14-02-2013, 06:12 PM
I hated guarding the farm, a stealther magnet. My hunter was always pooping ice traps (yes, pooping), detect invisible engaged, flare always flaring and constantly turning on the spot. It destroyed my nerves.

Eventually I learned to leave my cat by the flag (in stealth with aggression on) and I hid in the bushes with "Aspect of the Beast" (RIP) engaged. Haven't played my hunter in ages now. Sniff.

[EDIT] Always hilarious when a zerg rolled by. I would just stay hidden in the shrubbery, typing furiously "zerg farm stay away", something like that.

Flawless
14-02-2013, 06:13 PM
- you who have shown me what raiding is
- you who have argued with me in /o but never in /g
- you who have /gquit when I /gquit

Mah nigga. Think I still have the screenshots, maybe.

NaHaliel
15-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Mah nigga. Think I still have the screenshots, maybe.

I think I changed like 5 pcs since those times, so geif. Mould be a fun trip down memory lane.

Vereesa
17-02-2013, 11:41 PM
So many names I remember, so much time spent in the game, Granted not often on the forums here but friends and foes ;-) nontheless.
Brought back a bunch of memories your email.
So I thank you all for keeping this place going as long as yall did

Harshak
19-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Blast from the past indeed...
Oh the drama and epeen flashing this site has provided through many years, good times.

Haven't really played much since TBC, but this site was truly the place to be during vanilla, rushing in to write in the raid thread whenever we killed something. Gratz COI!

Flawless
20-02-2013, 09:28 PM
I think I changed like 5 pcs since those times, so geif. Mould be a fun trip down memory lane.

I cannot find them, truly a sad day.

Nabun
22-02-2013, 07:29 AM
It's a shame to see this site go, but I guess it's understandable when you look at the recent activity (or lack thereof). I'm gonna miss all the drama though.

Goodbye, Farewell and Amen.

Devinera
24-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I've been playing on SS since vanilla but the activity has really gone down lately, both on the realm and on these forums... But I still see some people I recognize from the old days from time to time. :)

Take care fellow Shadowsongers!

// Freddui/Zwey/Nightley/Lepstiks/Devinera

Ashym
24-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Nothing but good memories from this site.

Thanks to everyone for the experiences and fun that I played with on Shadowsong.

Lycien/Rieko/Sendara/Ashym

Alverion
24-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Pfft, this forum hasn't been any good since I stopped posting.

Neither has the server for that matter.

But this just makes me feel old, 8 freaking years, from the very first raids on the server to 'winning' the game in TBC and then just wandering from place to place in WotLK, Cata and now MoP.

Belaial
25-02-2013, 11:21 AM
It's been said before, nothing but good memories from this game.

Been an amazing trip these 8 years, a few short breaks along the way but most of the time my account has been active.

Hopefully Blizzards new "Titan" might be as good as WoW has been and maybe then the old Shadowsong crew can meet up once more!

Thanks to everyone that made Shadowsong what it once was and a extra big THANK YOU to Turiel for running this site for so long!

Trupiaczacha
25-02-2013, 09:55 PM
was nice to know you all.
good memories from past
GL and HF in life ;)

Jarelan
26-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Created a group on Facebook called
SSE Forum continuation

If anyone wants to join to at least have somewhere to reminisce.

Kryptonix
27-02-2013, 08:48 PM
RIP SSE.com

Azy
27-02-2013, 09:44 PM
:(

Jarelan
28-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Turiel, people are wondering if the forum threads will be saved or archived anywhere?

dantheman
28-02-2013, 01:37 PM
The amount of memories from this and previous incarnations of these forums.
I could go on and on about how "much better" the game was back in vanilla, and technically, it wasnt but because of the server community, it was. The banter and drama that went on in this forum be it pvp, raiding or just in general has provided me with so much laughter over the years that i'll never forget it. It's wierd to say that about "just a game" but again, it was never so much about the game, more the people who played it, for better or worse.
I'll miss you all.

Dantheman. Warlock. OTD/Wrath.

Belaial
01-03-2013, 08:41 AM
It's still alive!

Jarelan
01-03-2013, 09:02 AM
hmmmm

Jarelan
01-03-2013, 09:02 AM
This better not be like the ending of Lost!

Teuregon
01-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Just slightly late post what with the site going down today...
Been trudging through all my "many" posts now and it was such a lovely community a few years back.

A big thank you to Turiel who created this site and everyone of the lovely and/or annoying people that made it worth it to visit.