View Full Version : Looking for Opinions

Tvirus
13-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Ok started developing my own mmorpg (obviously not to compete with Blizzard as that'd be suicide) but just as a project to do at home when i'm bored...

Anyways i just wanted some opinions on the idea as it seems a little far-fetched and i'm not sure people would play it...

But anyways the idea is to use phasing technology to let people play through all the ages of man, starting in the stone age (where you can learn how to craft weapons from sticks and bits of rock, discover fire for cooking etc) and follow the history of the world right through to the Atomic age and present day (where you can learn to craft guns, swords, different kinds of armor etc) and then after that releasing things like the nano age and space age as expansion patches for new content.

I know it'd require a lot of work and as i said its far-fetched but i just wanted some outside opinons from the MMO world!

All critisizm accepted... within moderation.

Thanks in advance,

Tvirus

Über
13-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Do tell more about this little project of yours. For example - how do players interact with each other? Is this more like a co-op game or what is it exactly that everyone is doing ingame?

Rokky
13-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I think this sounds like an awesome idea, but I'd prefer it as a single player game, just my thought.

Turiel
13-12-2010, 11:25 PM
It does sound like an awesome idea, it's definitely I game I'd like.

Single player could work well, but I can see how it would be suited to an MMO as well.

Tvirus
14-12-2010, 10:31 AM
how do players interact with each other? Is this more like a co-op game or what is it exactly that everyone is doing ingame?

I am currently still wondering about the finals of this problem myself... i have a couple of ideas such as participating in past battles (as luckily we are a violent race so there are plenty to implement) and working together with other players to build cities etc.

Unfortunantly the amount of work involved in these ideas is at the top end of the scale but it would be nice to see it come to life.

P.S. The class system i have in mind isn't going to follow the usual route either. There will be no classes as such... players can freely distribute stat points as they progress and pick weapons/armour which they think best suit their stat balance.

I'd prefer it as a single player game, just my thought.

I did toy with the idea of making it a single player game and i could obviously put a single-player option in there like other games such as Borderlands and ofcourse the Diablo games, but then the question arises of whether single-player characters can be taken online or should players have to make a new character for online play... but i agree single-player would suite the idea aswell.

thurlog
14-12-2010, 04:02 PM
civilization mmo?

Tvirus
14-12-2010, 04:14 PM
civilization mmo?

I guess you could look at it like that, when i say helping each build cities i meant like... combining different tradeskills and creations with eachother and working together to build buildings

Rokky
14-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm wondering, will this be like civilization revolution(if you know what that game is)?

Tvirus
16-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Nah it'll be a 3rd person mmorpg like WoW and LotRO etc... just using phasing techonlogy to let players work through the history of the human race (to some extent)... taking part in battles from history and living through different ages such as the bronze age and the atomic age.

Rokky
16-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Ah that's awesome then.