View Full Version : Bloody Stupid Trick!

Bunneh
04-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Some of you may know I cycle a lot, mostly to keep fit but also it's kinda fun to belt about under my own steam.

Anyway Monday afternoon I set off at around 2pm with the inclination of heading into Bury, around past Ramsbottom and into Blackburn; all from my home town of Bolton. I flew over the tops of the hills and dropped onto the road that would apparently take me into Blackburn. Sure enough signs of an 'A' road were clear and I made my way towards it. As I approached I looked at this supposed A road and thought 'this is no A road, looks like a fooking motorway...'. I stop some school kid who wasn't too sure, so I asked a rather plump woman if she knew whether it was an A road and safe to ride on. 'Yeah, it's an A road' she said 'I think...'. I thought fuck it and set off down it.

Wasn't until around half way down that I thought 'this is a hardshoulder, oh shit...' I was on a motorway! Jesus H Rice I was scared, cars were screaming past me, and I couldn't turn around nor could I get off it onto a footpath, I was stuck! So I gritted my teeth and made a beeline for a sign which thankfully had a number for a B road nearby. I dropped off the motorway leaving some of my courage behind me and made my way into a town called Darwin. I eventually got onto the road to take me home but I'm pretty sure I left a trail of bricks along that motorway.

My instincts from the start were screaming 'MOTORWAY MOTORWAY!' Did I listen? Fuck no! Luckily it was still pretty light and I wear very bright gear this time of year. Wouldn't surprise me if I'm on some motorway TV show in the next few years 'Idiot rides down motorway!' and get laughed at by Richard Bacon...

iTank
04-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Good thing nothing bad happened. Could get pretty ugly there...

Ring0
05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
My instincts from the start were screaming 'MOTORWAY MOTORWAY!' Did I listen? Fuck no!

It's almost like a subconscious pre-cognitive natural instinct that flashes up when you're about to carry on with a bad idea. Most people will ignore it for fear of being ridiculed, or have been dog-trained to not heed it. Personally whenever I get that feeling, like a voice inside you, telling you not to do something, I'd rather take my chances and listen to it!

Sethanon
06-11-2010, 01:57 AM
You really don't want to ride in Italy, there you have to ride on the motorway and go through tunnels with cars speeding past you at 100km/h.
Our tactic for tunnels was : " Is there a car coming ? " if no i would yell " SPRINT WOMAN SPRINT " yes fun times.
Actually had to go over a highway in Florida the other day, huge shoulder so wasn't bad.

Bunneh
07-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Well I have just got home from a 60m ride and on my way back I was hit by a white van. It was a glancing blow and I'm 100% fine bar bruises on my arms and legs. I don't wear a helmet but that's just changed; I was lucky this time so I'm getting a box for me head.

Llort
07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Question is, did he stop and say sorry?

Sethanon
07-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Not wearing a helmet and roadbiking is retarded, you go 21-25mph on avg and that hurts if you fall down, let alone get hit by a car.

Bunneh
08-11-2010, 09:54 AM
I agree totally, it was purely my vanity that stopped me wearing a helmet. I consider myself a good rider, able to predict traffic but that just showed me I can't and from now on it's a box. I still ain't doing the full lycra thing, shorts/bibs are bad enough, no more!