View Full Version : W - AoR

Moongale
05-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey :)

Recently got myself a trial at Warhammer - Age of Reckoning, a couple of years too late, but hell i thought why not give it a go. I got a character and leveled a bit, but before i actually start the subscription i wanted to ask a few questions - im sure someone here played WAR before and wouldnt mind helping out :)

Im mainly confused about the whole tier system - i got no clue what the t1/t2/t3/t4 mean, what to do with them, etc. I do get that they have something to do with pvp, but thats it. Also, i can see like 3 or 4 big zones (conflicts between A and B, i.e. empire vs chaos, dwarves vs smth else, etc). Are they all same thing just different zones?

Also, what is best way for leveling for a new guy - just quests and public quests etc, or should i try and join the... er... battlegrounds i guess (scenarios) or something else? Im not asking for a "go here do that" guide, but merely want to make sure im not being stupid and doing something entirely wrong

Cheers in advance if anyone who played can help out :)
-Moon

Nimbus
06-09-2010, 01:53 PM
It's fairly complicated but I'll try to scratch the surface for you.

There's three conflicts going on in WAR. They are Empire vs. Chaos (both sides are humans), Dwarves vs. Greenskins (orcs & gobbos) and High elves vs. Dark elves. They are usually called "pairings" for somewhat obvious reasons. As a player you can jump between them as you like. It's kinda like the continents in WoW. you can not walk on foot between them but you can fly with a similar thing to griffons to get to another pairing. Usually people stay in one pairing (after character creation all races are dropped into Empire vs Chaos) until they hit t2 or lvl 12, then they start jumping around to be where the action is.

The tiers are simply put a way to divide players based on their rank (level). The max rank is 40. There are four tiers. T1 is rank 1-11, T2 is rank 12-21 etc. When doing RvR (PvP) in a tier, you are automatically raised to the max level of that tier and given buffs to gear and stats to even out the odds and promote player vs player combat. If your rank is higher than that tier and you enter a lake "beneath you", you're turned into a chicken and easy kill for anyone.

There's two ways to do RvR (or three depending on server type, theres a server type where its basically free for all combat). Open RvR happens in a specific area for each pairing and tier. They are called "Open RvR lakes" (because they look like a lake on the map or something, red border). So with 3 pairings and four tiers that means 12 lakes. The second way is scenarios which are like battlegrounds as you said.

As a WoW player it's easy to get sucked into RvE (PvE) which is quite good, loads of lore and story and quite nice quest lines. In WoW, people usually level up and get gear from PvE before they dare getting serious about PvP, but in WAR, it is designed to let you do basically the opposite. except no one really focuses on RvE at the top ranks, its all about the RvR.

So as beginner advice, it's better to go full out RvR and do no RvE at all. You get experience, renown and very nice gear from doing RvR as long as there are people around to kill. If you cant find any action or no scenarios are popping. Go do some RvE or farm for crafting etc.

T1 doesnt matter so much. You can RvE or RvR or do scenarios. Just make sure you learn your classOnce you get into t2 though, I would actually recommend to stay far away from RvE that gives exp as you only have 10 ranks to max out influence (reputation) in all three pairings to get all the epix you want from the influence reward guy in the war camps. To be able to get all these epix, I would also recommend that you stay away from scenarios as they are quite high exp until you have the all RvR epix you want. As you RvR you will gain renown ranks (rank = RvE/RvR level max 40, renown rank = RvR max 80 and cant go over your rank until you hit rank 40). Renown rank qualifies you to buy other PvP gear with tokens you get from killing players and completing RvR objectives. Kinda like the the PvP gear in WoW.

Experienced players seem to powerlevel to 40 which seems pretty fast, much faster than WoW. Then they get gear from RvR and pillaging cities. But if you want to enjoy the best the game has to offer and have very good gear all the way up to 40, I strongly advice you to do as much open RvR together with other players as you possibly can.

I'm not gonna get into how open RvR works because that is even more complicated and better described on forums and stuff. Just get in there and follow someone around who seems to know what they are doing and ask a lot of questions in between battles.

Have fun!

Moongale
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks, but you say to get the epics from the starting RvR camps with rep. Are they that important? Why not rush RvE to t2 and start bothering with gear at t2?

I would actually recommend to stay far away from RvE that gives exp as you only have 10 ranks to max out influence (reputation) in all three pairings to get all the epix you want from the influence reward guy in the war camps. To be able to get all these epix, I would also recommend that you stay away from scenarios as they are quite high exp until you have the all RvR epix you want.

Nimbus
06-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Yes, as I said t1 doesnt matter so much what you do. :-) its nice to start t2 with the vendor and medallion gear plus the epics from E vs. C influence. Gettin the other epics takes a lot of time as those pairings in t1 are basically empty. But some of the most fun you can have in t1 is if you battle a small group against another small group in one of the empty pairings trying to lock that t1 pairing for your realm.

dantheman
07-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Are there many people playing anymore Nimbus? I might come back if there is.

Nimbus
07-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Well I didn't play for a few weeks due to SCII :-)

I'm still a noob in WAR but as I understood lots of people came back after Mythic took over the servers from GOA. Karak Norn where me and Elog play seems pretty busy also in t2 and t3 and I hope me and Elog will get back into it this autumn once I get SCII out of my system.

I am now playing through the campaigns of original SC just because I liked SCII so much. Wish I could shake this game-OCD ;-)

Stunted
09-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Are there many people playing anymore Nimbus? I might come back if there is.

From what i have been told, there is an unlimited free trial of all the tier 1 content, so you can go smash faces as much as you want, you just cannot progress passed T1.

So if you want to play it but really think it's all samey then stick to the trial.

Ohh btw - Warhammer 40k for those that don't know release date is a few years away yet but hey thought i'd share.

http://www.darkmillenniumonline.com/

http://www.thq.com/uk/thqtv/index?movieId=4220

Jurgan
09-09-2010, 02:03 PM
And AoR is adding Skaven to the mix for both "Realms"... which is daft.