View Full Version : Cataclysm speculation thread

Shiverchill
09-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Surprised there isnt one yet, well im here to start it. Post the things you expect to see in Cata.

Please note that this is not exactly thread for wishlist, but meh, whos gonna mod it. Go ahead

Ill start off with an idea that came to me while i was watching the [spoiler]Vol'jin vs Garrosh[end spoiler] video. It made me think that, the way its going, we will end up having Garrosh as a raid boss in 4.1/4.2, 4.3 being Deathwing, and 4.4 being "Zomglootepix before next expansion".

Honestly, i cant wait for that. I dont care if he drops anything, i just want to beat the living bajezuz out of that douchebag.

Jimmy the Necromancer
09-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Would be too simple, I think.

I'm hoping for 4.1 or 4.2 to be another Horde vs Alliance raid (think ToC Faction Champions), seeing as how the war escalated and everybody's fighting. Then again, a lot of people see Wrynn as a douche, so he might get his head chopped off as well. I'm predicting the end of this expansion to be another WIII ending, everybody banding up together after heavy losses on both sides to fight the greater, common enemy, ending in a truce "for now".

Coven
09-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Isn't there this whole lore thread where Thrall becomes some kind of demi-god overseer of Azeroth etc? That's bound to be thrown in somewhere...

Shiverchill
09-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Nah i doubt Wrynn will get killed or anything. As far as i know from WOW lore, hes actually quite a figurehead. Sure, players might not like him, but hes an alliance hero, and legend among some people. I've read the comic series, and it shows a nearly feverish loyalty of alliance for their king.

Also, dont forget that Wrynn's hatred towards orcs has a fair ground - after all, his father was assasinated by an orc they once considered a friend (Garona), and then imprisoned by yet another orc, made to fight against... yeah, you guessed it. Gladiators, including orcs trolls and etc. Oh, and yeah, horde killed the great alliance hero at Wrathgate. So yeah, he hates horde. Doesnt mean hes a douche like Garrosh tho.

And returning to garrosh, judging from the VJ vs Garrosh video, id say there is no enemy that would allow these two to coexist peacefully. And since troll players arent going anywhere, there has to be something done about it - and seeing how EVERYONE hates garrosh, id say garrosh will die soonish. Perhaps not from players, but he will die.

Shiverchill
09-07-2010, 09:58 AM
@Coven:

Thrall is captured by SI:7 and we free him during goblin starting area quests, thats how goblins enter the Horde. Med'An is the current Guardian of Tirisfal, not thrall.

Coven
09-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Med'An is the current Guardian of Tirisfal, not thrall.

But doesn't that all change? I was reading lore threads where people saying Thrall no longer being the Horde leader was due to him, essentially, ascending to Guardian and handing over the leadership which then kicks off the whole aggressive stance towards Alliance, the tauren leader getting assasinated etc... I may well be wrong, not that into lore.

Shiverchill
09-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Cairne was poisoned by Magatha Grimtotem - it has nothing to do with Garrosh as far as i know.

I am not sure why Thrall surrendered leadership, but i know close to 90% sure that he will have nothing to do with guardian status. Then again, there are these nasty 10% :p

Vegelus
09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
http://www.shadowsongeurope.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Coven
09-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Just Google "Thrall + Guardian" and you'll find all sorts of stuff on the topic. Most of the lore relates to the WoW comic, from what I can decipher.

Jimmy the Necromancer
09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Cairne was poisoned by Magatha Grimtotem.

GOLLY GEE WIZZ BATMAN, WHAT A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS!

I hate it when they add lore like this. Cairne was supposed to be wise and powerful, yet he kept the obvious evil queen bitch under his roof and allowed himself to get poisoned. Yeah, real smooth dude.

Turiel
09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I speculate that they will change our avatars to our RL pictures as part of the RealID system.

Coven
09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
GOLLY GEE WIZZ BATMAN, WHAT A SHOCKING TURN OF EVENTS!

I hate it when they add lore like this. Cairne was supposed to be wise and powerful, yet he kept the obvious evil queen bitch under his roof and allowed himself to get poisoned. Yeah, real smooth dude.

Hey, give the guy a break! It may have been a while for Cairne...

Man law: If you have not had sex for 6-months, one man cannot question the horror that another man may have to endure to break his dry spell.

Shiverchill
09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Just Google "Thrall + Guardian" and you'll find all sorts of stuff on the topic. Most of the lore relates to the WoW comic, from what I can decipher.

You can also google ashbringer being available for exalted shen'dralar quest in Vanilla. Still aint happening.

What i replied was based on the beta people's comments and WOW comic. But hey, blizz changed history before :p

Coven
09-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I speculate that they will change our avatars to our RL pictures as part of the RealID system.

I speculate that there will be a compulsory WoW/Blizz branded webcam that you have to purchase to play Cata.

The webcam will take an eyeball scan each time you play WoW as since every players' ID's had been stolen, Authenticators were deemed useless and only a retinal scan, blood sample and passport ID will allow you to log on to the servers.

This webcam will of course, come with a Lil' <INSERT RL NAME> pet. Aaaaaw.

The webcam will then stream all of your actions to all of your friends, and friends of friends, whether signed into Real.ID or not. Hey, they can look at you if you walk out into the street, so how is it any privacy invasion if they look at you in your room? You can choose to plug in the webcam and play, or not. That's as fair as Blizz can be.

Ring0
10-07-2010, 03:44 AM

Ah.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/Ring0/Turiel.png

Turiel
10-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Lol

Torm
10-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Nice, let the internet stalking begin!

Jarelan
14-07-2010, 02:31 PM
wtf Turiel still in ToC armor? :P

Flawless
14-07-2010, 03:11 PM
New talent tress look awesome, love some of the new talents they've added in also.

Coven
14-07-2010, 03:51 PM
New talent tress look awesome, love some of the new talents they've added in also.

Yeah, I had a quick lok at the pallah ones earlier. The crit amounts etc seem massive. I'm not sure how firm these numbers are yet.

Jimmy the Necromancer
15-07-2010, 08:23 PM
They blow :/

I would have MUCH preferred having the old 76-talent points, by far. It made for so many interesting combinations. I really hope they go back on them.

Coven
16-07-2010, 09:26 AM

I would have MUCH preferred having the old 76-talent points, by far. It made for so many interesting combinations. I really hope they go back on them.

I'm not sure how likely a backtrack is. The 31 point talents have been based on their 2009 E3 "here's what we'd like to do with talents" and alpha/beta feedback from players saying "these are nothing like what you said in E3."

So, they got rid of the filler talents, the must have talents and the passive talents (to a large degree) - then, depending on what spec you choose, you get an immediate bundle of abilities to compensate for the fundamentals. Or similar...

I quite like the fact that now, at level 10, you will instantly feel like you have made a choice and have abilities as a platform, rather than just one talent point and no major "feel" difference until you're closer to level 20 or so.

Flawless
17-07-2010, 02:43 AM

They still need a lot of work (pretty sure certain classes have only had talents removed and none remodeled or moved), and interesting combinations doesn't mean good. Majority of builds (for all classes) where only off by a few points and only in debatable areas, I mean no one skipped dual wield spec, everyone took +5% crit etc. for example it's the boring shit that is going,

Also the new twitter Q and A is great,

A. The only new glyph we are ready to announce right now is the Glyph of Divine Shield, which reduces the cast time of your Hearthstone whenever Divine Shield is active.

Jimmy the Necromancer
17-07-2010, 10:44 AM
So, they got rid of the filler talents, the must have talents and the passive talents (to a large degree) - then, depending on what spec you choose, you get an immediate bundle of abilities to compensate for the fundamentals. Or similar...

I quite like the fact that now, at level 10, you will instantly feel like you have made a choice and have abilities as a platform, rather than just one talent point and no major "feel" difference until you're closer to level 20 or so.

I also think the new abilities at level 10 are really an amazing thing, but they could have well kept those and added other talents for the respective 31/41 points. Not necessarily new abilities, but for example it would've been a 100 mastery bonus for that specialization.

They still need a lot of work (pretty sure certain classes have only had talents removed and none remodeled or moved), and interesting combinations doesn't mean good. Majority of builds (for all classes) where only off by a few points and only in debatable areas, I mean no one skipped dual wield spec, everyone took +5% crit etc. for example it's the boring shit that is going,

Asuming you're talking rogues, you still had choices such as Initiative/Serrated Blades, Find Weakness/Deadened Nerves/Imp Kidney Shot, 2/5 DW spec - 2/2 Heightened Senses or 4/5 and 0/2 etc. In this case you adapted your spec according to what setup you played.

Druids, for example, had a bunch of different specs. 24/0/47 for offensive 2v2, 21/0/50 for offensive 3v3/semi offensive 2v2, 20/0/51 for defensive 3v3 or 16/0/55 for extra defensive 3v3. The same applied to moonkins, who could spec into extra burst, extra mp5, extra damage etc.

You get my point.

What will basically happen now is that with the reduced number of talents, reduced number of points and obligatory 31-point talent, you're gonna be pigeonholed into 1, maybe 2 cookie-cutter specs, which I doubt will have more than 2-3 points interswitchable anywhere. We're gonna lose a unique touch that you could adapt to your own playstyle, and in my opinion, that isn't good.

Torm
17-07-2010, 11:09 AM
But Jimmy, that is Blizzard's entire plan. They are doing an NGE on us to dumb it further down for the mainstream crowd.

Jimmy the Necromancer
17-07-2010, 11:50 AM
But Jimmy, that is Blizzard's entire plan. They are doing an NGE on us to dumb it further down for the mainstream crowd.

http://i30.tinypic.com/15qu2ki.jpg

Torm
17-07-2010, 06:17 PM
True, but It's all about the money. Even the clueless pay to play.