View Full Version : Raiding... How to get started?

Rosa
29-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to get into raiding, but whenever I try, people just tell me that I need the achievement, for the same raid... It's a vicious circle. I'd really like to start raiding and wouldn't mind spending a few nights on a weekly basis, it's just so hard to get a raid going, even with weeklys >>...

If anyone could give me an advice or two. It would be much appreciated!

Here's my armory if it's relevant. http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&cn=Rosarugosa

Coven
30-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to get into raiding, but whenever I try, people just tell me that I need the achievement, for the same raid... It's a vicious circle. I'd really like to start raiding and wouldn't mind spending a few nights on a weekly basis, it's just so hard to get a raid going, even with weeklys >>...

Here's my armory if it's relevant. http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&cn=Rosarugosa

"...I don't have the achievement on this char, my main is Horde and we regularly down LK..." Or whatever you think you can get away with ;)

If you're wanting to raid ICC, you might want to upgrade your 200 and 219 slots if possible. I don't know enough about mages to really comment on gear/gems/ench's and it may well be that the trinks etc you have are BiS pre ICC, I doubt it at 200...

An easier way is to get into a guild that does ICC 10 alt runs. Guilds tend to be less snobby about gear (so long as you are not woefully undergeared) where fellow guildies are concerned. There's often way overgeared toons looking for one elusive BiS drop.

Other than that, read strats, watch boss kill vids on You-Tube and make sure you have plenty of pots and fish feasts :) If you do manage to get a cheeky PuG spot by the "not my main" method, you don't want to be insta kicked for not moving when anyone doing the encounter before would have known to.

valence
30-06-2010, 10:06 AM
basically: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/underachiever.aspx

Mootank
30-06-2010, 10:23 AM

QFT

Easiest way to get into a raid is to lie about achieves.

There are still far too many retards out there that are too busy asking for this achieve, that achieve, 55million GS etc that seem to be blissfully unaware that the ICC buff is now 25% and that it can be pretty much cleared in iLvL 200 blues now.

Getting around gearscore is a bit harder, your answer here is to simply ignore anyone with a GS demand for a PuG. Generally GS pugs fail, properly built ones have more success.

Coven
30-06-2010, 10:36 AM

It's cheating AND it's evul. Delicious!

Mwuuuuuhahahahahahahaaaaaaaa! Mwuuuuuhahahahahahahaaaaaaaa! Mwuuuuuhahahahahahahaaaaaaaa! Mwuuuuuhahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

Rosa
30-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Thank you for the replies. It seems that my only option is finding a guild since I'd prefer not to lie and be dishonest :).

Feihcretsam
30-06-2010, 11:45 AM
If I were you I would keep trying to whisper the pugs if you see them around, many leaders dont really care about gearscore and stuff... I know that whenever me or friends make a raid for let's say toc25 or voa or so, we just invite enough friends to carry the raid and then invite whatever trade throws at you to fill the empty spots

as long as you get 232/245 gear by doing a loooot of random heroics nobody should bitch about gs

Mootank
30-06-2010, 11:46 AM
as long as you get 232/245 gear by doing a loooot of random heroics nobody should bitch about gs

Wow.. which server do you play on?

Vegelus
30-06-2010, 01:47 PM
There are still far too many retards out there that are too busy asking for this achieve, that achieve, 55million GS etc that seem to be blissfully unaware that the ICC buff is now 25% and that it can be pretty much cleared in iLvL 200 blues now.
http://greedygoblin.blogspot.com/search/label/Undergeared

Coven
30-06-2010, 02:01 PM

Awesomesauce.

Undergeared > Me.

Torm
30-06-2010, 05:30 PM
I tend to do ICC10 PUG's for my charcters. You're welcome to add Irewrath and Torm to your friends list and chat me up. I don't care about achivements/Previous experience/Gearscore e-peening and my pugs tend to get 6/12 at the very least despite going with undergeared first timers.

Ring0
01-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Come to GDKP. Bring gold.

Alternatively Gearscore is going away and quite a few people really don't give a shit about it and will invite you anyway if one undergeared person won't make the difference between clear and wiping on beasts.

Coven
02-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Come to GDKP. Bring gold.

I hate the GDKP concept. Join a guild and learn the strats like any normal player. Earn your gear. Feel satisfied in the acomplishments along the way. Each item slot should have a story.

All GDKP does is promote gold buying for the impatient afaic.

Parcival
02-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Uhm, maybe you are right for some people, but in my experience GDKP-runs mostly (like 80% or more?) attract alts and no mains, which means that those people already have 'earned' their gear (and learned strats) with their mains but just want their alts to be geared too.

That way you can, without having to rely on pugs or guild runs' random rolling of gear, gear up very fast and without pain, without drama (or alternatively go with your main and earn 5k+ gold in 3 hours)

Coven
02-07-2010, 01:15 PM
It's still suspect imo. Alts or otherwise.

Turiel
02-07-2010, 01:29 PM
But even if they are buying gold, its gold that already exists in the economy (because its been farmed), and this simply transfers it back into the hands of the "good" players at the expense of crappy ones.

Win-win!

Bunneh
02-07-2010, 03:23 PM
nvm I'm dullard today...I mis-understood what you meant :P It's Friday and hot, I'm allowed one slip up a day!

sageclaire
03-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Hi,

Sorry, just noticed this msg. Btw, i do ICC10 pugs on either Drueclair or Sageclaire. ( This week, both are locked thou ). Try to get a hold on me, and maybe i can fix you a run or 2. I dont give a rats on the GS shizzle, and as long as you are willing to learn, do enough dps/heal , i wont have any problem taking you into my PuG ICC10.

p/s poke drueclair better because i intend to do ICC10 HMs on Sageclaire, and you might want to stay claer of that :)

Claire.

Danzig
03-07-2010, 09:00 AM
My advice would be to apply for a decent guild, and when you do it, try to sell yourself and not your character. You would be suprised how many guilds that would accept a "undergeared" player just because of a good, well-written application. To gear up a nice person with alot of knowhow and which the guild will see a future in is no problems nowadays. You can also apply for a social spot in a raidingguild if you have friends around that already are in and from that position work yourself up to raider. Most raidingguilds do social/alt runs on weekly basics.

Make sure you know your class and that you are able to max perform with your current gear. And of course, make sure you know what to do when you get the chance, failing on trivial mechanics will of course make your chances slim to pass trial in a guild.

Be nice, take your time when you do applications and I'm sure you will find a good home where raiding is steady.

Torm
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
There we go, I popped his Cherry (That sounds wrong!) this evening.

He's a solid player, he did what he was told when he was told so he should have no problems finding better PUGs than what I assemble :)

Rosa
04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
It's amazing how willing people are to help. I'd like to thank all who've offered (both for advices and invites) and I hope we'll continue to have fun together :)

-Rosa

Malakali
04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Polite forum is polite.

Coven
06-07-2010, 09:06 AM
It's amazing how willing people are to help.

That's not always the case on SSE ;) Asking here helps though as you at least get a feel for the person asking for the help, rather than an ingame "...i r epixXhaxX0Rz I'll roflpwn j00 in greenz, invite meh nub!" 'polite request' to a pug.

Glad you got to go though :) Hope you got some phat lewtz! ;-D

Rosa
07-07-2010, 10:27 AM
That's not always the case on SSE ;) Asking here helps though as you at least get a feel for the person asking for the help, rather than an ingame "...i r epixXhaxX0Rz I'll roflpwn j00 in greenz, invite meh nub!" 'polite request' to a pug.

Glad you got to go though :) Hope you got some phat lewtz! ;-D

Did get tier 10 leggings in VoA10, but didn't win anything in ICC despite 2 or 3 cloth caster items dropping. We also had a healer that kept rolling dps caster gear because he felt the lootrules didn't apply to him. At least karma struck and he didn't win on the items he wasn't supposed to roll on :P

Torm
07-07-2010, 07:21 PM
I'll likely make another run this comming saturday evening Rosa, so if you're up for more random PUG'ing do let me know.

Rosa
07-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Wish I saw this earlier. Just did ICC10. We got to the bloodprinces.

Taurusos
17-07-2010, 09:58 PM
What is more important:

If you are named Rosa why does Falke call you "he".

Im getting way too old for the concept.

This matters to me.

Matter of much importance. We are raiding ZG and aiming for Jindo coming weekend. Let me know if interested. And if blonde.

Vegelus
17-07-2010, 10:05 PM
:3

Rosa
18-07-2010, 12:35 AM
Rosa because my main is named Rosarugosa, he because I'm male. :P Not blonde. I might be up for ZG /w me :)

Ninja
18-07-2010, 01:19 AM

On LDW our HC stacking got its drawback: we lacked physical DPS. We had a warrior tank and a rogue. The DKs are just half-physical as the diseases are magical. On the top of that the rogue was mutilate, couldn't switch targets fast. After he retalented combat and equipped a slow main hand axe, his DPS fell to the ground. But he leveled axe skill up to 67 on that try!

ROFL

Danzig
24-07-2010, 06:44 AM
what is more important:

If you are named rosa why does falke call you "he".

Im getting way too old for the concept.

This matters to me.

Matter of much importance. We are raiding zg and aiming for jindo coming weekend. Let me know if interested. And if blonde.

kann i komm? Und wann ist invites fur bolten more?