View Full Version : Muffs - My Lil Tanky

Bunneh
26-05-2010, 02:59 PM
When I quit WoW back in October I didn't think I'd be coming back, but I did at least for a while.

I never had problems holding aggro in Heroics, got the class down to pretty much perfect at least in my eyes. Now things have moved on and I have a gear score of around 2500-3000, 33k health unbuffed etc etc. The guild I'm in everything's changed, people are in 5k+ rated gear and my concern is can I still be an effective tank in 2500 gear? I'm thinking DPS wise on their part and keeping aggro; has the game changed too much for me to catch up?

Ta

Vegelus
26-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Most heroics and ToC10 shouldn't give you any problem. Maybe HHoR in pug, but meh, lots of tanks don't like that instance, even with ICC gear. Sure, some people will whine in pugs, but ignore them. I'm usually at 36k hp unbuffed in my 5man set, so difference in hp pool isn't that bad.
I'd start with changing shoulder enchant for pvp one, then hunt The Black Heart from ToC5 normal and throw Repelling Charge away.
Rest will come with time I suppose.

Coven
27-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I have 2 paladins, one horde and one ally. My Dorf hasn't had much love in ages and he's pretty much in a mix of Naxx BOE and heroic blue/purple gear. I logged in last night for the first time in a long time for a quick HC fix. Bearing in mind the HC which popped was DTK and my gear was perfectly viable, if not OP for the bosses, the tank took one look at my non ICC 25 gear and quit the group.

Yup, my mana pool isn't 30K+ (about 17K) but I easily healed the entire thing never going less than 50% mana, no wipes, no-one close to death and a very quick run. Sure, the others may have been in better gear, but still...

There's so much gear snobbery with GS etc now its funny. The only HC's my dwarf'll struggle in are the IC HC's and maybe the Black Knight encounter in ToC5. Other than that, ancient gear is still fine for HC's. Raiding ICC etc may be different ;)

Bunneh
02-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the info Veg and Coven. Sorry for my late response, head like a sieve at the moment. I was after the Black Heart for a good while, but getting people to actually go to normal was like pulling teeth. I was never keen on pugs in the first place but with this GS bullshit it kind of put me off completely, yet I was/am a competent tank especially when I have my tail up.

According to the Wowheroes site I'm ready for Ulduar but it's all ICC these days. I'll get my eye back in by doing the older heroics then start with IC crap. Gear isn't important to me in general but I wouldn't want to let our lot down by not having the best I can get my paws on.

Seems to me Coven, that a lot of players now want an easy ride in pugs. I seem to recall the pugs I did in the past, we're talking pre TBC here, were learning experiences for most of the members. Before I quit back in October I was in the occasional pug that had the DPS doing 800DPS at level 80. Everyone can get good gear but it seems there's so many who still don't know what they're doing.

Anyhoo thanks again :)

thoren
13-06-2010, 10:41 AM
As tank is pretty easy tbh.. just queue random heroics until your eyes bleed and get everything thats worth it from the Emblem vendors.
A craftable here and there and maybe the PVP bracers / belt will easily get you fixed for IC10 in less than a week if you aren't totally unlucky with drops in the IC5s

I think i started tanking IC10 with around 35k HP unbuffed (maybe a little less.. cant remember exactly) which is pretty reasonable for the first quarter imo. On Festergut you might run into trouble with such gear but everything before that should be easily doable.

Bunneh
23-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Did my first 3 Heroics in 7 months last night and had no problems. Ran the 'new' ones in Icecrown with a boomkin who liked her aoe :P One death, no wipes. Can't say I was overly impressed with the hardness of it all and had to ask if we were doing normals or heroics. They're nice instances though and did enjoy it, so no complaints on that front. I would like to get the Black Heart from ToC, just trying to get a group for it is hard work, normal anyway. I'll keep poking guild because they're a helpful lot and seem happy to drop everything to help each other.

Coven
23-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Did my first 3 Heroics in 7 months last night and had no problems. Ran the 'new' ones in Icecrown with a boomkin who liked her aoe :P One death, no wipes. Can't say I was overly impressed with the hardness of it all and had to ask if we were doing normals or heroics.

Prolly means you had an awake healer and/or high DPS to go along with you. Some of those encounters for non-raid geared healers are a handful, managable, but a handful nonetheless :)

Bunneh
02-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Did it again with lower DPS and a healer in sub 4k gear. It was a problem, however when I realised I'd forgotten to turn on Righteous Fury it kinda became much easier :P We did have issues with the escape from the Lich King but that was mostly inexperience of myself, and I fell off the walkway as I was backing up, duh...

I'm hitting 35k health now, self buffed with Sanctuary, and I'm getting gear together slowly. I'm attempting to get the guild running Ulduar 10 which was never completed by us, seems a shame to skip a raid like that as soon as ICC comes along.