View Full Version : Help needed with Firefox search

Shiverchill
23-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Been using firefox's default search happily (type anything into adress bar, it loads the first hit from google, or google search page).

At some point for some reason it changed to some crap searcher called Bing.

I tried resetting stuff, changing, etc - to no avail.

I have tried doing the about:config thing, finding ANYTHING that had "bing" in it, and resetting it to default. It worked, but as soon as i opened new instance of firefox, it returned back to Bing.

After some search i found out that the only instance of "bing" present in config is in the Keyword.Url
I changed it to default (google), and again, everything worked, but the moment i opened new firefox instance it happened again.

Basically, what is happening now:

in about:config, keyword.url value gets reset to Bing adress EVERY time firefox closes. Even if i change it to ANYTHING, it keeps changing it back to Bing. Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Cheers

Llort
23-04-2010, 07:46 PM
haha, bing it is microsoft's default search :P

anyway, i found this
http://www.ehow.com/how_5196325_remove-firefox-work-way-used.html

Shiverchill
23-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks, just a single problem - its completely wrong in regards to what i was asking :(
As you can see, i said that the "about:config" method doesnt work.

Thanks for trying tho

Llort
23-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Ah, didnt read the whole article ;-)

Shadefoot
26-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Have you tried using the drop-down menu from the Google icon in the search bar and clicking "Manage Search Engines" and removing bing?

Shiverchill
26-04-2010, 11:22 AM
No, because im not talking about the search bar, but about the adress bar (the one where you type the www.something.com). I do not use search bar, like ever

Shadefoot
26-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Fair enough, I asked because the number of people that have asked me the same question and meant the search bar, is just unfunny!

Doing the whole about:config thing, have you also looked at the following entry:
'browser.search.selectedEngine'
That might be set to bing as well. Set that and the other option both to google and hopefully that should set it back.

Fitzchivalry
02-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Tools > options > home page type "www.google.com" ?