View Full Version : All the silly things in WoW

Birkler
22-03-2010, 01:32 PM
WoW has always had a silly side what with all their tributes to films, books, other computer games and what have you.. So I wanted to start a thread where people could post some of the more silly things they've encountered in WoW - be that tributes that are just hilarious, bugs that make you go "heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey that ain't right", or something completely different (just as long as it's silly)..

And so I would like to start the ball rolling with a little comment about Gear Score... We all know what it is by now and we all have one of two feelings about it - either we hate it and want to see Blizz ban it, or we like how it helps us avoid having nabs whisper for an invite to ToC or ICC...

Personally I don't really like it... Why? because critters have more Gear Score than me... Highly unfair..

Jimmy the Necromancer
22-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I just went through my screenshot folder because of this thread and got hit hard by nostalgia. Damn you!

As for GearScore, add in gem/enchant support and I'm happy with it. If somebody is LFM and I'm under the requirement I just make a good speech as to why I think I'm capable of joining the raid. 80% of the time I get an invite, and I'm happy with that 4/5 chance.

Sylfide
22-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I dont use GS and I dont really know my score either. I just know if I am to join a pug to somewhere I am not linking achievements or anything. If they dont know me/my guild I dont want to come ;p
Its just funny how much attention this 1 addon gets really. Was in a pug the other day with this random dude boasting about his friend with 5400 GS. Asked in gchat and it was the score of our newest socials...
I dont know really what to think about it. I see it can be a useful tool to some degree but also I see it can fail cause high GS is not equal to skill. I have no idea what score a toon in tier9 equivalent would get but that can be done in less than a week without raiding. Learning how to play can easily tale longer than that.

Shiverchill
22-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I belong to group of people that consider GS to be overabused.

Yes, GS can be a good indicator for some new people, but it definetly cannot be used as means to show who can attend a raid and who cant.

Person A has no clue how to play his class, he spammed heroics 24/7 doing 1.5k dps and got full t9. He has more GS than an alt of a person who has some RF (or other hard progression stuff) on his main, and considers himself to be decent to perform in that specific raid. Who will be chosen? The person with GS score ofc.

Had been in that situation myself - tried to get into a 10man ICC on my alt (who had 3 wings or so cleared on 25man AND had 10man achievement as well) - nope, apparently i had lower GS than expected and was not allowed in. Im not sure they made it as far as we did in a gdkp ICC25 run we had with alts and undergeared pugs.

In short, GS can be an "additional" tool, as in "skill AND gs", but definetly not a "i wont invite you if you dont have 5k+GS" or "you got 6k GS ill invite you even tho you have no clue what to do".

If GS was available during old (vanilla/early TBC) times, when having gear of higher iLvl meant you actually had to WORK to earn it, it COULD have been what it is used as now. But definetly not now, not with all the welfare around us.

Yep, im a whiny brat, sue me!

Rokky
22-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I just know if I am to join a pug to somewhere I am not linking achievements or anything. If they dont know me/my guild I dont want to come

In my opinion that sounds a bit arrogant and makes you out to be 'bigheaded' in my opinion, I'm sure you meant it as a joke. :confused:

Ring0
22-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I prefer GearScore to previous "link achiev plz". If you didn't have the achievement you couldn't do the instance you wanted to go to. It also got circumvented by Underachiever.

At least with GearScore you can see who's actually bothered to prepare for the raid they are trying to join. Like any tool it can get misused, which is the problem people have with it - when you start requiring T9 gear to do Naxx, or people assume that because you've got a good score you won't stand in a defile.

Personally I don't use it. I don't know what my gear score is on any of my characters and I haven't a need to become any wiser about it. I've only ever had an incident once of person looking for a tank to TotGC10 and I didn't have achievement on that character so they said I wasn't prepared for it. Guess clearing Insanity 25 for several months isn't enough experience!

Clínt
22-03-2010, 11:59 PM
I just went through my screenshot folder because of this thread and got hit hard by nostalgia. Damn you!

As for GearScore, add in gem/enchant support and I'm happy with it. If somebody is LFM and I'm under the requirement I just make a good speech as to why I think I'm capable of joining the raid. 80% of the time I get an invite, and I'm happy with that 4/5 chance.

Go download ElitistGroup then if you want gem and enchant type functionality too!

Sylfide
23-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Hehe I dont pug on my main so it doesnt matter much :P

Feihcretsam
23-03-2010, 06:32 AM
A high gearscore at least says that the person did a few bosses in icc10/25, that has to count for something. Personally I didn't find an underperforming high gearscore or good low gearscore yet, so it is working for me :p

as for the topic: happens to me all the time >.< here check my title, and check my Ashen Verdict rep.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5748/wowscrnshot032310020350.jpg

Gwynin
23-03-2010, 08:36 AM
A high gearscore at least says that the person did a few bosses in icc10/25, that has to count for something.

It doesnt count for anything....

Turiel
23-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Indeed it doesn't. Firstly, you can get a high gearscore from badge items and crafted materials. Or by pugging the first 4 bosses in ICC, which require no skill.

Secondly, there are items that are a low ilevel but better than the highest ilevel items for a particular character (trinkets especially here).

Thirdly, gearscore creates a large amount of processing lag for EVERYONE around you and EVERYONE in your guild. It is likely the cause of literally half the lag in Dalaran. It is possibly the worst addon in the history of WoW, from a technical point of view completely leaving aside the morals or usefulness of it.

Having said all that, GearScore exists because it fulfills a need. It IS necessary to evaluate pugs in some way before letting them into your raid.

GearScore is the most easy-to-use way of doing this because it presents the info right there in your tooltip.

I still would never use it, because of the technical issues at the very least, but I can see why people do.

Personally though I tab out and check someone's armory quickly. Achievements are actually quite a bit better to judge a person than gear level. Ask them to link you an achievement that shows they're not a nub. Something like Firefighter from Ulduar, or TotC Insanity. Or even one of the wing bosses in ICC.

valence
23-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I do a lot of pugging, both main and alts. I have never linked an achievement nor whispered my gearscore, let alone gone to "north bank". If someone won't invite me because i didn't link an achievement, I just assume they are too retarded to check my armory and would rather not group with them in the first place :P

anyway -- back to the topic, silly wow reference that made me laugh the most, was the reference to leeroy jenkins during the algalon quest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MwblTnb-g&feature=related @1:25

Feihcretsam
23-03-2010, 11:25 AM
/agree Turiel

armory ftw

Rokky
23-03-2010, 04:19 PM
It doesnt count for anything....

It does count to most people in the world that pug since they always want people with high gearscore.

Ring0
24-03-2010, 03:04 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/Ring0/WoWScrnShot_012709_180456-1.jpg

Shiverchill
24-03-2010, 03:19 AM
You dont want no mf snakes on your mf plane?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/iguanaonastick/WoWScrnShot_052809_005044.jpg

The Moonkin Mafia does not agree

Belina
03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
bah Achievements when it first came out.. but i guess its good since it
show if ppl actualy did the place before. if they where not had a dirtnap
when it happend that is...
(kremt been there, done that.) i guess most of us have.

Gs.....ohglorydays... that one is a pain in ze ass and okay at the same time.
stoped playing my pally for a while and focused on my warrior, she poped kinda high gs. well not 6k but fairly okay one.
i noticed ppl stoped asking for achiv when i asked on her for raids.
then i went back on my pally. ofc i asked to go to same places but got rejected becouse of gs. funny thing is i have more achievs on her and longer in icc10/25 then my war.....
Farming icc10 the first 4bosses + 2hander from first boss icc25 + some wellfare epix you get fast 5.7gs
ah saw turiel wroth the same

i dont have a prob getting icc10 groups on my pally as tank as 5k gs
but as 5k gs dps it was a other story.
ok i like gs alittle to keep track on my holycraptomanyalts.
so i cant wait to try gear up my underachivers naxx geared alts:S
that is stoped playing on for months ago if not longer.

ah silly things ppl that dont gem/enchant there gear for raid instances.
for hcs dungeons i dont care, but for raids its freaking irretating.
yes i cost money, yes its expensive to get updated.
farm dailys, farm honor, farm hcs change badges for gems.

yes i know its boring and yes i know it takes time o.o

bah if the text dont make no sense its becouse am dyslektic >.<

Mootank
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/Evil_Biscuit/WoWScrnShot_061508_171405-1.jpg

Check combat log for killing blow.... and yes we got to loot him (go go D.I)