View Full Version : Next generation gaming, comming Soon!

Goonerr
11-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Some of you might have already heard about this, but i wanted to post this just incase any of you havnt!

A brand new online service promises to serve games to your living rooms, LIVE, and without the need for an expensive console or a high-powered personal computer. It’s the future of gaming and – potentially – the death of traditional gaming devices as we know and love them.

OnLive – say it softly and not within earshot of Sony, Nintendo and co – circumvents the need to trudge to the shops, hand over your hard-earned cash and trudge all the way home again with the latest hot game. Instead, this ‘cloud’ service will deliver top games direct to your PC or TV screen instantly, using a small receiver unit that hooks up to your existing broadband connection.

All the heavy work, so to speak, is performed by powerful remote servers using clever compression routines. Players simply provide the required inputs using a joypad, as normal. The results of their efforts are then streamed back with almost non-existent lag. OnLive will run on a network of server centres placed so that no user is more than 1000 miles from one. In broadband terms that’s just down the road, figuratively speaking.

OnLive is set to launch on 17 June in the USA, with a worldwide rollout expected to follow shortly thereafter. Users will pay a $14.95 (£9.99) subscription fee each month, plus the cost of either buying or renting each game. In this regard OnLive has several very significant advantages: there’s no need to invest any further in a game you’re not enjoying; you can sample all the latest releases with minimal costs; and you’ll be able to remove some of the clutter from under/behind the telly and clear a bit of shelf space into the bargain.

OnLive also enjoys the support of many high-profile games publishers – removing the need to manufacture and physically distribute games is an obvious and lucrative benefit to them. Big-name titles such as Borderlands, Prince of Persia and Assassin’s Creed are among the launch games announced so far. Perhaps understandably, the big three console manufacturers are rather cooler on the whole idea...

http://www.onlive.com/

Goonerr
11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
What is the OnLive Game Service?
The OnLive® Game Service is a revolutionary, on-demand video game platform capable of delivering the latest and most advanced games instantly via a broadband connection on virtually any PC or Mac®, via a small browser plug-in, or on an HDTV, via OnLive’s MicroConsole™ TV Adapter. The OnLive Game Service enables an entirely new way to discover, explore, purchase and experience video game content. Additionally, the game service offers instant access to purchase or rent new release games on an à la carte basis from many of the world’s leading publishers.
When will OnLive be available?
The OnLive Game Service will be available for users in the 48 contiguous United States on June 17, 2010.
Where will OnLive be available?
We'll be launching across the continental US.
How much will this cost?
The base month-to-month service fee is $14.95. Loyalty programs (e.g. multi-month pricing) and other special offers will be announced by the start of E3. The first 25,000 qualified people to register on the OnLive Game Service will have their first 3 months’ service fee waived. You’ll find all the important details here, and note that the service fee does not include the purchase or rental of games. Included in the monthly service fee are OnLive-exclusive features such as instant-play free game demos; multiplayer across PC, Mac and TV platforms; massive spectating; viewing of Brag Clips™ video capture and posting; and cloud-saving of games you’ve purchased—pause, and instantly resume from anywhere, even on a different platform. Also included in the monthly service fee are features you’d expect from standard online games services such as gamer tags, user profiles, friends, and chat.
What kind of Internet connection do I need to use the OnLive Service?
OnLive works over nearly any wired broadband connection (DSL, cable modem, fiber, or through the LAN at your college or office) with 5Mbps or greater for HD-resolution games. OnLive requires 1.5Mbps for SD-resolution, but initially at launch, OnLive will only offer HD-resolution. Although OnLive technically works over WiFi wireless networks, the reliability of wireless networks can vary greatly, due to interference sources such as microwave ovens, and other wireless networks sharing the spectrum. Initially at launch, OnLive will not support wireless networks.
What do I need to play OnLive on my TV?
All you need is your TV, an OnLive MicroConsole™ TV Adapter and a couple of cables. MicroConsole availability will be announced later this year.
What if I want to play OnLive on my PC or Mac—what are the minimum specs?
Since the game is running in the OnLive data center, our system requirements are pretty low. All you need is a PC running a current version of Windows XP®, Vista®, or Windows 7®, or an Intel®-based Mac running a current version of OS X®. Although OnLive has found that most computers with at least a 5Mbps wired residential Internet connection are sufficient for HD-resolution, many factors affect network quality and computer performance, including other application using computer resources, and other users sharing your network. As part of the registration process for OnLive, you will be sent a performance test to run to see if your computer and network configuration are sufficient to run OnLive.
How long does it take to download a game?
With OnLive, you don’t download any games. They just run instantly—it’s a totally new way to experience games.
How do I patch or update my games?
OnLive games are patched and updated automatically for you in the OnLive data center. So, updated games start up the instant you click on them.
What is the difference between OnLive and other services delivering games via the network?
There isn't anything like the OnLive system in terms of instant access to the latest games, a media-rich experience, ease of use, and ability to play on your TV, or entry-level PC, or Mac.
How long until the newest games are available through the OnLive Game Service?
OnLive works with its partners to deliver new release titles. No waiting in lines, pre-ordering, or waiting on shipments. Just connect and play!
Can I try new games before buying?
Yes. You can play the latest and greatest demos, and even rent games to try them out. OnLive also lets you watch the top players as a way to discover new games and learn a few new tricks.
Are the games currently listed on your website the only games available?
These are just some of the games that will be available at launch. We will be announcing more titles as we get closer to June.
Does OnLive support multiplayer?
Absolutely. Even beyond normal online multiplayer action, OnLive has many social features that make it a great place to watch your friends and record and share your highlights (or lowlights).

For Developers and Publishers

What is the process for getting my game onto OnLive?
Instructions for becoming a certified developer or publisher and for downloading our SDK are available here. If you're interested, sign-up and we'll be in touch.
Can firms develop games specifically for the OnLive platform?
Yes, using our SDK. And since we run your game on high-end servers, every gamer gets the optimal experience. OnLive is intended to be a complete development-to-distribution platform.
What are the details around programming for the platform?
We have a few compliance requirements in place to move existing PC titles onto the platform, and a richer SDK available to take advantage of unique OnLive features. Additionally, there is no expensive development hardware to purchase, and you can use standard PC development tools you know and love.
How does OnLive work with publishers?
In addition to offering a direct channel from development-to-distribution, OnLive opens completely new doors for marketing and promotion, as well as a seamless way to connect with a large, engaged target audience.
Who's supporting your platform?
Lots of people are. We're getting an extremely positive reaction, as evidenced by the partners who've signed on thus far. OnLive simplifies the game development process for developers, and offers publishers improved economics and a more direct relationship with their customers.

Ruoste
11-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Worst idea ever.

Goonerr
11-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Worst idea ever.

atleast explain why it is the worst idea ever

Nimbus
11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I have HDTV through fiber broadband at home and it's crap. Any click on the remote has a 3 second lag and the screen stutters and freezes at least once an hour. Sometimes it goes down completely.

If I understand it correctly they will stream the game display data in the same way. I'm sure they get decent performance in a closed test network, but as far as the real internet - I'll beleive it when I see it.

Sure game controller lag might go below 0,2-0,3 seconds or so in ideal situation but it's still noticeable and when it fails people will fling controllers at screen.

Do they mention anything about lag in a FAQ somewhere? If not I guess they are targeting the Wii Sports / Singstar / Generic movie license game with 1 year development audience, i.e., not me :-)

Vegelus
11-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Didn't read both posts, but it looks like a cloud to me.
1. Probably less than a 1% people have good enough connection to be able to use it.
2. I suppose that various ISPs will throttle those, or maybe demand additional payment for access to those clouds. Most of their hardware isn't capable of supporting constant cloud gaming by many users.

thurlog
11-03-2010, 11:22 PM
using a joypad, as normal

Turiel
11-03-2010, 11:31 PM
I've been following this for a while. How they got past the technical limitations is beyond me, but apparently they are actually well playable games with minimal latency.

Again, don't ask me how.

On the game subscription side though, I use Metaboli.co.uk which is about 10 pounds a month and is awesome - you can download a lot of really good titles. Not just shit that didn't sell well - things like Farcry 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Assassins Creed, Stalker, Rainbow Six, Fallout, etc.

And yes, I prefer paying for games rather than the TPB route.

Ruoste
11-03-2010, 11:47 PM
I guess it's a nice idea if you want to play Crysis on your iphone. Also nice for casual gamers who want to play Sims on their TV or something.

Obviously this is not intended to hardcore gamers.
Image quality will be garbage. The picture will be blurry and it will get blocky when there's a lot of detail or movement.

No matter how good the servers are or how fast the connection, there will be latency between you pressing a button and something happening on screen. Anything that requires fast reactions will be annoying to play.

Nimbus
11-03-2010, 11:58 PM
The only way they can solve latency is by locating their server parks no less than 100 km or so from the user. Doubt they figured out how to surpass speed of light.

Anyway, thats a lot of server parks...

Goonerr
12-03-2010, 07:50 AM
The only way they can solve latency is by locating their server parks no less than 100 km or so from the user. Doubt they figured out how to surpass speed of light.

Anyway, thats a lot of server parks...

I cant remember where i read it but thats basically what they are going to do, the game server will be (in terms of the fibre optic) just down the street.

I'm all for trying something first before bashing it, even Microsoft have said themselves that cloud system is the future, 2-3 more client based OS's and microsoft are going cloud themselves.

For me, if the following are met then i will love this:

* Minimal Lag/ No Lag

* Quick/Instant game releases for top titles

* Top graphics quality (Apparently they will be streaming games in High Definition so it says on the website)

* A decent lobby, i hate game systems where the lobby is fail.

Llort
12-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I dislike the/any cloud systems at all. (Sure, any online-based application/game falls in this catagory, like WoW/EVE, because they require a server to connect to).

Also, I prefer having my game settings and my game content and my game mods on my computer and not somewhere in the world where anyone can access it.

Not my thing, no.