View Full Version : Olympic State Police

Bunneh
05-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Posted on another forum I visit.

It's not so long ago that I scoffed at activists who claimed that we were moving towards a police state, now I read this (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100303/tts-uk-olympics-london-ca02f96.html):... Moves to safeguard company trademarks and stamp out ambush marketing, to preserve the monopoly of official advertisers and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) logo, are raising concerns among civil liberty groups.

POLICE POWERS

Police will have powers to enter private homes and seize posters, and will be able to stop people carrying non-sponsor items to sporting events.

"I think there will be lots of people doing things completely innocently who are going to be caught by this, and some people will be prosecuted, while others will be so angry about it that they will start complaining about civil liberties issues," Chadwick said. ...If this is true - and I can't help think it's a wind-up - WTF's going on?
It's outragous!!!

Discuss ...

Jimmy the Necromancer
05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
So if I bring my brand A camera to take photos of the olympics but brand B is an official sponsor, they'll forbid me and my A camera from entering, along with other people carrying brand C, D, E, F and G?

What exactly do they mean by private homes and posters?

Elexin
05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I would assume that rather than stopping people taking in items from companies other than the sponsors, its more a case of trying to crack down on or stop counterfeit merchandise sales?