View Full Version : The 'What are you reading?' thread

Bunneh
17-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Since we have 'playing' and 'listening' threads I thought I'd add a 'what are you reading?' thread; I'm not expecting it to take off like the others but gonna give it a whirl. Also can we try and avoid spoilers please? If you do happen to want to post your fave part in a book, use a 'Spoiler' tag and make it hard to read either with small lettering or a colour matching the forums. I'm too lazy to post what I've read so I've copy pasted summeries from Wikipedia and the authors' websites.

http://www.antonybeevor.com/images/stalingradnewinset.jpg
At the moment I have my head buried in 2 books, both based around wars. First is 'Stalingrad' by Antony Beever, and it's a terrifying account of the battle/s in and around Stalingrad during World War 2.

Early on the morning of 23 August 1942, the 16th Panzer Division raced eastwards over the steppe from the river Don. That same evening, it halted on the bank of the Volga. The tank crews gazed across towards Asia. They had reached the designated boundary of the Third Reich's eastern territories. Messerschmitt fighters performed victory rolls above their heads. Many soldiers thought that the war was won. To their right, the city of Stalingrad blazed from the first of General von Richthofen's air raids, which killed 40,000 civilians. The only resistance the panzer crews faced came from anti-aircraft guns operated by young women barely out of high school. 'We had to fight shot for shot', the division reported, 'against thirty-seven flak positions manned by tenacious fighting women until they were all destroyed.' Thus began the most pitiless, and perhaps the most important, battle in history.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg/200px-World_War_Z_book_cover.jpg
Current bedtime reading is World War Z (WWZ) which is a fictional retelling of a zombie post -apocolypse that occured in 2006. I've only just started this but it's quite difficult to put down, ended up staying awake longer than I normally do. If you're a 'zombie fan' you may find it well worth the read.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (abbreviated WWZ) is a 2006 post-apocalyptic horror novel by Max Brooks. It is a follow-up to his 2003 book The Zombie Survival Guide. Rather than a grand overview or single narrative, World War Z is a collection of individual accounts in the form of interviews with characters conducted by the author. Brooks plays the role of an agent of the United Nations Postwar Commission who published the novel a decade after the Zombie War. The United Nations left out much of his work from the official report, choosing to focus on facts and figures from the war rather than individual stories; these form the bulk of the novel. The interviews chart a decade-long war against zombies from the view point of many different people of various nationalities. The personal accounts also describe the changing religious, geo-political, and environmental aftermath of the Zombie War.

World War Z was inspired by The Good War, an oral history of World War II by Studs Terkel; and by the zombie films of director George Romero. Brooks used World War Z to comment on social issues like government ineptitude and American isolationism, while also examining themes of survivalism and uncertainty. Critics have praised the novel for reinventing the zombie genre; the audiobook version, performed by a full cast including Alan Alda and John Turturro, won a Audie Award in 2007. A film based upon the book is in development, produced by Plan B Entertainment, directed by Marc Forster and with a screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski.

Jimmy the Necromancer
17-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Got Naipaul's "Among the believers" recommended by a friend which keeps me interested, and I've been trying to start Rousseau's "Discourse on inequality" for weeks but haven't managed yet, only getting a chapter at most every few days.

By the way, since it's the first thread about books I've seen in a while here, has anyone read Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" series? Just read a preview at the end of his "Shadowplay" book and it seems .. overly dramatic, to say the least.

Myriima
18-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Great idea for a thread ^_^ Currently reading:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson & the Olympians)

In preparation for going to the movie =P

Similar to Harry Potter, which is a tad bit better then Percy Jackson in my opinion.

It's still a good, easy read though, can reccomend it.

Ring0
18-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Struggling through Brisingr... The definition of tedious exemplified.

Edit: Quite a nice ending (after ~600 pages of crap). Working on Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking vol. 1; true to the movie I'll try and cook my way through it, and put a few pounds on Rosey while at it!

Percy Jackson was awesome :) Going to go see the movie on Monday and hope it lives up to the book.

Ring0
25-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Re-reading Mort by Terry Pratchet :D

Jurgan
25-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Just finished the "Ravenor the Omnibus" a Warhammer 40k book based around the exploits of an Imperial Inquisitor. Rather fun.

Timothy
01-03-2010, 12:02 PM
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Not finished yet but doesn't seem bad so far.

Naughtyraven
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
At the moment I'm only reading the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson.
I have wanted to read them for some time now and thought it would be best to read them before I saw the films.

I'm reading them in Swedish tho ofc.

"The Girl with the dragon Tattoo"
Original title: Män som hatar kvinnor
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bc/Thegirlwiththedragontattoo.jpg/200px-Thegirlwiththedragontattoo.jpg

"The Girl who Played with Fire"
Original title: Flickan som lekte med elden

"The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest"
Original title: Luftslottet som sprängdes.

Really good crime novels and I can recommend them!

Myriima
05-03-2010, 07:55 PM
A Gathering Storm by Jordan/Sanderson

The next installment of the wheel of time series.

I think Sanderson did great sticking to Jordan's style, the change in writer was barely, if at all, felt.

Jimmy the Necromancer
07-03-2010, 11:20 AM

I think Sanderson did great sticking to Jordan's style, the change in writer was barely, if at all, felt.

Awesome, glad to hear!

But erm, wasn't Memories of the Light the last book (the 13th) which would have Sanderson as co-author? I'm confused now.

Elexin
07-03-2010, 11:53 AM
The original 12th and "final" book was due to be called "A Memory of Light", but when Sanderson took over that book was huge, so they split that into three separate books and are releasing them separately (A Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight, A Memory of Light).
So the series will be fourteen books long, ignoring that prequel book.
(I'd say it would therefore be fifteen books long if you include it, but as that prequel book was originally meant to be part of its own 'trilogy' of books I don't know. If there were enough notes, theres always a faint chance that could get expanded/finished afterwards and that could increase the count again...)

Jimmy the Necromancer
07-03-2010, 07:02 PM
The original 12th and "final" book was due to be called "A Memory of Light", but when Sanderson took over that book was huge, so they split that into three separate books and are releasing them separately (A Gathering Storm, Towers of Midnight, A Memory of Light).
So the series will be fourteen books long, ignoring that prequel book.
(I'd say it would therefore be fifteen books long if you include it, but as that prequel book was originally meant to be part of its own 'trilogy' of books I don't know. If there were enough notes, theres always a faint chance that could get expanded/finished afterwards and that could increase the count again...)

Thanks for the info!

I've yet to pick up books 8 and up due to not finding them anywhere in my country, but the series has me hooked regardless.

Shiverchill
09-03-2010, 05:47 AM
Reading now:

Robert Jordan (on third book now)
Piers Anthony (Incarnations of Immortality series, on second book)
Garth Nix (Lord Sunday... yeah i like kids books, so what?!)

Recently finished:

Trudy Carnavan (Priestess of the White trilogy)
Rick Riordan (Percy jackson... the book and the movie dont even have same plot >.>)

Also recommend:

Terry Goodkind (the sword of truth series) - Must read!
James Clemens (Wit'ch series) - really sucks you in
Richard Knaak (The War of the ancients, the day/night of the dragon) - if you want a good book about Warcraft lore
Philipp Pulman ("His Dark Materials" trilogy, consisting of Northern Lights, Subtle Knife, and Amber Spyglass) - the description on the book says "Young book for Adult hearts" and thats pretty much describing it - absolutely sensational in my opinion, a must read!
Matthew Reilly (any of the books) - was actually my first ever book read in English. Absolutely amazing writer, great storylines and writing style, start from "Ice Station" in my opinion.

And a lot more that i have fogotten about. I am a book worm, so i read ... alot...

Edit: of course, all pratchett books (yes, ALL of them) :p

Myriima
11-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Sword of Truth series is good for the first few books. After that it get's incredibly repetative. It's always the same, either Richard or Kahlan is close to death / imprisoned with no way out / hating each other and then lo and behold, they fix everything up.. only to start all over again with the separation / death / sickness / blabla to fix it up again... well you get the idea. Series left a bad taste in my mouth after starting so strong

/rant off

Haplo
11-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Nice one indeed, currently im reading book 4 The Shadow Rising.

Elexin
11-03-2010, 01:57 PM
As I received it the other day, I'm reading The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn, although that means I've put A Magic of Twilight (the first book in the Nessantico Cycle/Trilogy) on standby to do so. Its probably for the best, as it means I'll get a break from the faux-italian text and the ca' cu' ci' ce' surname prefixes.

Über
11-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Sword of Truth series is good for the first few books. After that it get's incredibly repetative. It's always the same, either Richard or Kahlan is close to death / imprisoned with no way out / hating each other and then lo and behold, they fix everything up.. only to start all over again with the separation / death / sickness / blabla to fix it up again... well you get the idea. Series left a bad taste in my mouth after starting so strong

?

Also, reading Fault Lines by Nancy Huston, Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky and The Cave by José Saramago.

Yes, I tend to have different books for different situations. The first one is always something rather simple & entertaining that I read between the lectures or in coffee shops and carry with me during the day. Small size is a bonus. The one in the middle is something I read in bed, during breakfast and so on. Ideally something that doesn't leave me pondering about it for hours, especially before trying to get some sleep. The middle one is preferably also something that doesn't leave me craving for just another few pages before I stop, again especially when I'm supposed to be sleeping. And the last one is something that I really need to put my mind into when I'm reading it, which preferably happens during the day when I'm fully functional, unlike early mornings & late evenings.

Shiverchill
11-03-2010, 05:31 PM
While it does get repetitive a bit after a few books, it gets its pace back quite soon. When i put down the last book, i had a feeling of something immense, so i would highly recommend you to finish the series, if you havent

Ring0
16-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Just finished Julie & Julia, a book (and also a very nice film released earlier in 2009) about a new York girl's quest to cook her way through all 524 recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year.

Starting on Arthas: Rise of the Lich King by Christie Golden.
http://sicklygazelle.com/Images/Pictures/Books/arthas_rotlk.jpg

Shiverchill
16-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Arthas-The Lich King the book

For those who didnt play warcraft 3 and have no clue who arthas is. Thats it.
ALL story (95% or so) of it is retelling of the human/undead campaigns in WC3, with just a little bit at the beginning about jaina-kael-arthas-CurrentAllianceKingWatsHisName.
I absolutely loved the well of eternity / lord of clans/day of the dragon, but this book... just shameful really.

I want to try out the Stormrage, which comes out soon, i really do hope its good. Because "Arthas" is just a doorholder tbh, not worth anything else.

Ring0
17-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Good job I didn't start on it then. Could you have made it sound any worse Shiver? :p

Shiverchill
17-03-2010, 02:44 AM
Well... i could have said that my grandma has better writing style than that author...

:p

Senister
17-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I had the idea that Christie Golden was the best Warcraft writer out there, and that Arthas Rise of The Lich King was a good book. She wrote Rise of The Horde, which was really good, and co-wrote the Horde part of Through the Dark Portal, in which the Horde parts were worthwhile. I believe she also wrote Lord of The Clans, which was a good read too.

I've read Rise of The Horde, The Last Guardian, The Tides of Darkness, Through the Dark Portal, Lord of The Clans and Cycle of Hatred. I disliked Tides of Darkness and Dark Portal because the Humans were portraied as weak, despite winning every fight they entered all the way through both books.

I've been trying to decide if I should buy some of the Dragon and Night Elf related books, but I can't really decide if they are any good. Can anyone recommend them?

Shiverchill
17-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Well of Eternity Trilogy and Night/Day of the Dragon duo are amazing. really amazing. If you are into Warcraft books, read them.

And i disagree on Christie Golden, i would say Knaak is best WC writer atm.

Start with the Night of the Dragon, then read Well of Eternity, then Day of the Dragon.

AngelSakura
18-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Start with the Night of the Dragon, then read Well of Eternity, then Day of the Dragon.

Other way around, Day of the Dragon is the 1st one, Night of the dragon 2nd.

I also liked the Sunwell Trilogy. Written bij Knaak, drawn by Jae-Hwan Kim.
________
Mercedes-Benz M100 Engine Specifications (http://www.mercedes-wiki.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_M100_engine)

Ring0
30-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Well I just sat down and read the book, ignoring Shiver's ominous warnings :p I quite liked it. At first it felt like she was just trying to fit in as many Warcraft references in as possible, not really describing what exactly peacebloom smells like, or what makes a goldenbark apple taste different, but the story picked up and I couldn't put the book down all night until I finished it.

Was quite enjoyable read, even better than playing through the actual Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne games and I quite recommend it. I'll go for Lord of the Clans next.

Shiverchill
30-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Well i guess that proves it that different people have different tastes, as i found myself skipping paragraphs of what i already knew from the game & didnt enjoy re-reading.

On other hand , i really really really recommend reading the "Incarnations of Immortality" series. I started on the first book just for the sake of it - to see how it goes - and since then was unable to pause just reading through the series.

The storyline is exceptional - without spoiling, each book puts you in person of a specific "demigod" kinda, be that Death (thanatos), Time (chronos), Fate (Clotho/lachesis/atropos), Nature (gaea), War (mars) and so on. The stories between the books are intertwined, continuing and explaining the story, and it is written in an absolutely amazing style.

To anyone, i would highly recommend this.
You can find the reference to the books here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnations_of_Immortality

I bought all the books from amazon - if you cant / dont want to find new ones, there are plenty of used books there in great condition for about £2-3, about half of the books of this series i bought are 2nd hand since i was unable to find new ones (out of print?). Either way, ill repeat myself to say i highly recommend this series.

just a note - read them exactly in their order (as stated on the link) - the stories are not separate.

Timothy
31-03-2010, 11:23 AM
The Reluctant Swordsman by Dave Duncan.
Part 1 of The Seventh Sword trilogy or something.

Guy dies IRL and gets thrown into the body of some swordsman in an alternate world by a goddess.
Starts of interesting because of the fact that he kinda doesn't believe in gods with both amusing and painful results.

Elexin
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Shiverchill, did you read 'Under a Velvet Cloak' too? If so, do you have any feedback?
I used to love the series, but as Velvet came out so much later its the only one I haven't read yet. I already didn't think 'And Eternity' was as good as the previous six, so a book released far later, with poor reviews and at a high price point doesn't exactly make me want to buy it :|

Shiverchill
01-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Well i am reading through "For love of evil" atm, so got and eternity left before velvet cloak. I will tell you once i get there tho :p

So far (before For love of evil) i really loved the series, just started this new book so dunno. I really enjoy the "entwineness" (dunno if such word exists) of the characters in the storyline - so you dont have 100x new people to learn about in every book.

I dont like the fact that Velvet cloak seems to be separate from the whole series, thats probably why i might not like it when i do start reading it.

Myriima
02-04-2010, 11:22 AM
The king of tomorrow come

Quite a fun read, even if sometimes tiresome due to the writing style.

A retelling of Arthus youth, which doesn't take itself too serious, at least in the first 100 pages =)

Snowrabbit
16-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Thinking of reading Eragon.. is it any good? :/ Watched the movie but imo it wasn't really.. catchy

AngelSakura
16-04-2010, 04:59 PM
I read it. bit better then the movie but still meh.
I never finished the 2nd one
________
Easy vape vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/easy-vape-vaporizer.html)

Ring0
16-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I've read all of the Eragon books. I found it quite dull but your mileage may vary. First one is the most interesting in my opinion.

Just finished 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. Absolutely amazing read, definitely going to bump up to the top of my favourites.

Reading The Time Traveller's Wife now by Audrey Niffenegger.

Snowrabbit
16-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Alright, thx for your reply. Might not read it then. :(

Myriima
16-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Read Eragon and I thought it was weak. You can tell it's a teenager writing it, his writing style lacks alot of refinement. While I can not put my finger on particular sentences / events /passages in the book, it felt as if I was reading a (bad) mix of some of the more well known Fantasy works of the last years. It lacked, individuality

I never picked up the next two books of the series, maybe he improved /shrug

Ring0
21-04-2010, 04:22 AM
Just finished Time Traveler's Wife... Absolutely amazing. It's made me laugh and I've cried until I had no more tears left to cry - best book I've ever read.

Shiverchill
24-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Just ordered myself a copy of Tiger!Tiger!. I really do hope it lives up to the reviews ive read about it (its an old Sci-Fi book).

Shiverchill
30-04-2010, 04:25 PM
So far so good, about halfway through the book. Cant say its greatest, but it does seem to have a certain charm to it.

Ring0
13-05-2010, 02:53 PM
And she's done it again. Just finished Audrey Niffenegger's second novel, Her Fearful Symmetry. Absolutely amazing and intertwined story.

Shadefoot
18-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Just finished reading Peter Brett's "The Painted Man" and the second book "The Desert Spear". Both very good reads - demons vs people and how different groups deal with them overnight. The two books have semi-concurrent storylines in that the first book focuses on one character and the second focuses on another character and each are detailed from growing up to meeting to where they are now, but the second book still manages to effectively progress the story, so it's well done. Can't wait for the next!

Also recently read the first book in Fiona McIntosh's "Valisar" trilogy (Royal Exile) about to start reading the second. First book is a story of a warlord taking over a set of kingdoms in search of the power of the Valisar line. One of the young princes escapes with help and the rest of the book documents significant happenings. The second bok is meant to be set a few years later when the exiled prince has grown up somewhat and is plotting to take back his throne.

Also have the third book in the "Crossroads" set by Kate Elliot to read - Spirit Gate and Shadow Gate were both good, so looking forward to Traitor's Gate.

Finally I was excited to hear that the sequel to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is finally coming out next March, Name of the Wind was great, so looking forward to the next.

Myriima
21-06-2010, 08:46 AM
The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham, great fantasy. Not much in the way of action, but fantastic story and characters.

Shiverchill
30-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Does anyone know any good AI vs Humans sci-fi books? Was re-reading the Legends of Dune, and the Omnius vs Humanity kinda got me hooked yet again (both books and movies btw).

Im talking I-Robot / Legends of Dune / Matrix / Terminator kind of stuff. Not robocop / A.I. kind of stuff.

On other hand, read Lee Child's "Gone Tomorrow". Maybe just me, but didnt really like it. I got hooked up to the "back-cover description" of the book, which, however, turned out to be completely irrelevant to the book itself

Spoilers below, highlight the text to read:
Description talks about policeman recognising a women next to him in train as a suicide bomber, and deciding whether to risk trying to stop her or not. In reality, this episode lasts for about 4-5 pages, most of which is the "back in X days... ". Rest deals with the "aftershock", and some of it is what we call in Russia "pulled by the ears", meaning taken out of nowhere just to fill in the blanks and misfits.
Maybe im an idiot and L.C.'s style is what people like about him. I know i didnt really.
Spoilers over.

Shadefoot
01-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Not sure if it's the sort of thing you're looking for but Neuromancer (William Gibson) and the follow-ons are human vs AI but with a bit of human/machine crossover too.

Myriima
01-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Blade Runner. Yes, it's a book! It's decent if you are looking for some Human / Robot Sci-fi

Shadefoot
01-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Blade Runner. Yes, it's a book! It's decent if you are looking for some Human / Robot Sci-fi

If you're talking about the one that's linked with the film, I believe the book was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" but there is also a novel called "The Bladerunner" which is different.

Myriima
01-07-2010, 08:26 AM
You are correct, I just assumed that the german title of the book matches the original, english one =) Just looked it up myself =P Amateurs mistake on my behalf, sorry

Vegelus
01-07-2010, 09:40 AM
You are correct, I just assumed that the german title of the book matches the original, english one =) Just looked it up myself =P Amateurs mistake on my behalf, sorry
It is:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Träumen_Androiden_von_elektrischen_Schafen%3F
http://www.amazon.de/Träumen-Androiden-elektrischen-Schafen-Verfilmt/dp/3251300199

Polish translation has the same wording as original too. I think that "Blade Runner" title was used for some edition strictly related to the movie just to increase sells.

Shiverchill
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Have seen/read it :) Classic

Thanks guys but im looking for more of an "open warfare" kind of stuff, not the "mental" combat. As i said, look @ Legends of Dune book.

Vegelus
01-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Try looking for a Stanislaw (Stanisław) Lem. Solaris for example.
Oh well, that's another "mental" combat I guess.

Timothy
01-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Haven't read Lem in ages ... some interesting stories though.
The "Sterntagebücher" collection was something I enjoyed.

I actually picked up the electronic version of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"
after reading about it in this thread.
Hmm ... interesting but not outrageously so.

Currently reading another older book "Wizard's First Rule" by Terry Goodkind and
enjoying it so far (probably everyone else has already read it but oh well).

Oh some possibly less known good books:
Gert Prokop - "Detektiv Pinky", "Die Phrrks", the "Timothy Truckle" books "Der Samenbankraub", "Wer stiehlt schon Unterschenkel?"
wonder if they ever translated those ... they were awesome (well ... to me around 20years ago).

I'm surprised the Foundation trilogy by Isaac Asimov hasn't been mentioned yet.

Toodels
01-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Wizard's First Rule is just awesome. The whole Sword of Truth epos is very good (the beginning better than the end though). Good choice :)

Currently I am mostly into scientific literature since I am having exams. The last book I read was "Beim Häuten der Zwiebel" by Grass. No clue if it was translated.

Shiverchill
02-07-2010, 01:25 PM
The seeker of truth series is simply put amazing, absolutely loved it.

Of course read most of Lem and Asimov, cant say im a fan of Asimov's writing style tho.

Will repeat myself again, highly recommend "The Incarnations of Immortality" and "The Priestess of the White" series.

Myriima
18-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. A pageturner of epic proportions. Have not been so captivated by a book(s) for a while now.

Ring0
29-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Just finished Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. Excellent book - recommend this one :)

I half-guessed who the killer was. By that I mean I had the right person most of the book, though I had no clear motive. The ending threw me off the track however, it didn't make sense, but a few pages later my initial guess was confirmed. I'd say it's honestly impossible to be 100% certain of who the killer is and why she/he is doing it until the very last page.

Anyways it was a very good read. Quite short book but it keeps you hooked the whole way through.

Bunneh
02-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Read both HG Wells' books War of the Worlds and The Island of Dr Moreau. Both excellent.

Emelyn
02-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I can recomend a realy good writer for you all, Terry Pratchett.
He writes fantasy in a funny way. I have read all his books and can defenately recomend this author.

Eme

Ring0
02-10-2010, 10:34 PM
^

Best writer.

Emelyn
03-10-2010, 06:04 AM
^

Best writer.

Idd, think i have read somewhere that he is the most "educated" in the english language or something like that. No wonder I (as a swede) have to look some of his "strange and unusual" words up in the dictonary :)

Eme

Ring0
11-11-2010, 07:53 AM
http://heritage-key.com/medialink/files/river%20god.jpg

I can't think of how to start describing how great this book is.

The whole thing is a third-person novel set in Ancient Egypt. While the story is about two other characters it is told through the eyes of the slave Taita - He is so full of himself but in a way that you end up loving him. The way he tells it he's God's gift to slaves everywhere: architect, poet, shipwright, embalmer, accountant, engineer, astrologist, medic; You name it he does it, and of course whatever is Made by Taita (tm) is perfection itself. Although it will leave you bawling at the end it is also full of funny moments. Not to be underestimated is one of the character's (Kratas) ability to always makes a reference to Seth's sweaty scrotum/hairy nostrils/steaming turds/etc. at the most awkard times.

The book never becomes dull. Whenever things seem to settle down a new problem appears. Definitely one of those books that can take up an entire afternoon without you realizing, that's how absorbing it was for me.

Anyways, this is my now favourite book of all time. It'd take it with me to a deserted island and all that. Giving it a big recommendation to anyone looking for a new book to read.

I'm reading through the sequel now.

Razhir
07-02-2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/Gotrek-and-Felix-omnibus-1.jpg

Currently reading this, and I have to say.. William King makes me wet myself..
Best warhammer book I've read to date (And I've read a lot)

Ring0
12-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I've finished all of Dan Brown's novels. Illustrated editions are really nice and definitely add to the reading of the story.

Trying to decide between Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent or the new fourth book in the Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Swift next. Both good comedy!