View Full Version : Problem installing over linux :(

Goonerr
16-02-2010, 08:45 AM
I have a problem which i havn't been able to solve for two days now and i have tried everything to my knowledge and im pulling my hair out, i really hope somebody here can help me.....

I bought a Acer Revo... they are very tiny computers with no CD drive.... it should have shipped to me with linux installed but it had vista, i managed to install ubuntu on to an 8 gig stick using the software called "unetbootin".

Anyway.... i want to try windows server 2003 since i want to set up a little server of my own for educational purposes. but it doesnt like it and when i try booting from US be it says "Please remove disk or media and press any key to restart".... will not boot in to installation mode.

I seem to now be stuck with linux and i have been fighting for two days to install windows using USB since its my only method (buying an external CD drive today).

I have tried using DOS to partition and make my USB stick bootable on my other PC using the "partdisk" command and all that but still no luck, i have also used multiple software to create "bootable live USB's" but i still get that damn message when booting my Revo from USB.

"Please remove disk or media and press any key to restart"

Any suggestions and does anyone know if i will have better luck using an ISO CD through an external disk drive rather than a USB stick?

ANY suggestion is welcome, i will try anything to get this fixed.

Hope somebody can help, thanks in advance.

thurlog
16-02-2010, 09:24 AM
you got vista, you use a linux bootstick and want to install server 2003?

anyhows.. your message gives

This issue may occur if your start device (such as a floppy disk drive, hard disk drive, or CD-ROM drive) does not contain boot files.
Back to the top
RESOLUTIONTo resolve this issue, use one or more of the following methods, and then restar...To resolve this issue, use one or more of the following methods, and then restart your computer:
Remove the non-system disk from your boot device. For example, remove the non-system disk from the floppy drive or the CD-ROM drive.
Change your computer's boot sequence. To do this, you must change your computer's setup and the option that controls which device your computer uses to start from. Make sure that you select a device that has boot files (or operating system files) installed.
If you start your computer from a hard disk drive, install a bootable operating system (such as Windows XP) on the drive.

meaning that your stick isn't as bootable as you think it is (or you're not booting from the stick at all?)
You mentioned using diskpar.. did you do all the steps? (http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/ for example)

Can you boot from the stick on another computer at all?

Goonerr
16-02-2010, 09:59 AM
you got vista, you use a linux bootstick and want to install server 2003?

anyhows.. your message gives

meaning that your stick isn't as bootable as you think it is (or you're not booting from the stick at all?)
You mentioned using diskpar.. did you do all the steps? (http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/ for example)

Can you boot from the stick on another computer at all?

Answers to your questions:

Vista was shipped with the Revo by mistake, it was advertised to come with Linux preinstalled but came with Vista, i couldnt use it anyway because i had no key which it asked for.

I did all the steps with diskpar including setting active partition and all the rest...
I have used my USB drive previously to install other OS's such as Windows Server 2008 using the same USB drive.

I have previously booted windows server 2008 on the SAME revo using the SAME USB stick, but i cant remember how i did it last time.

Hope this explains. cheers

Goonerr
16-02-2010, 05:46 PM
just created ISO on windows and still can NOT boot, this is pissing me off now, i know its good because its a legit copy from work!

Goonerr
16-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Right, ive managed to get around it by doing the following.

Installing windows 2000 pro and upgrading to windows server 2003

for some strange reason windows 2003 doesnt like starting from boot if you have linux installed (ubuntu in my case).... windows 2000 and windows server 2008 work fine.. just not windows server 2003..... strange