View Full Version : ICC Lag

inacup
21-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Just want some input on the issue from people from other guilds.
We in raid to nowhere haven't had a lag free raid since release of the Plague Works. With the tip yesterday when we didn't have one lag free fight. I mean we even wiped twice on the gunship due to 5 - 10 seconds spikes constantly.

Speaking with friends from other alliance guilds, they doesn't seem to have such massive lag problems. We raid between 20 - 23 server time. So a general question to the raiders on shadowsong. The lag situation - how bad is it?
If it's not as bad for other guilds, is there anything that could mess it up for us? Addons etc..? Alltho it sounds crazy to me.

Cup

Denguis
21-01-2010, 01:03 PM
In <Cursed> we are also having some huge lag spikes from time to time. We are also raiding from 20-23 server time.

And it really sucks with all this f**ing lack, because it's a struggle to have fun when everything just "stops" due to lag spikes.

Turiel
21-01-2010, 02:01 PM
There have recently been big discussions in guild regarding this.

Firstly, Wednesdays and Sundays appear to be the worst days.

Secondly, the lag appears to pass by 22:00 mostly.

With regards to addons, there are some that can cause large client delays.

Carbonite, QuestHelper, and GearScore have all been banned in Hive because of this issue. It affects not only the people who you are in a group with, but the whole guild, regardless of where they are. I believe you also receive this communication from people outside guild who are on your friends list, or who have you on their friends list.

Altoholic and AtlasLoot also cause issues.

inacup
21-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Thanx Turiel, I will make our raiders do the same tonight and report back.

Greta
21-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Back in vanilla we made the decission in MCO to skip wednesdays because of lag and it's the best decission we ever made.

Currently we raid thursdays and sundays and the occasional tuesday if theres content left. Sunday is by far the worst day and tuesday is the best.

We've banned the addons Turiel mentions as well (Carbonite and Gearscore). And untill recently there was an issue with Palypower and Zomgbuffs not playing nice together but if people have upgraded it should be resolved.

I recommend using some kind of addon that measures the spam from different addons. Personally I use Spamfu.

Madorin
21-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Last few raids have been ok but of course have been getting spikes. Haven't enforced addon banning as can't personally see it affecting performance. Moved to ToGC last Monday as the lag doing Rotface was too horrific. But last nights raid went smoothly for us and we cleared 6 bosses mostly problem free.

1 major way to improve it would be if Blizz removed rep farming. Can't think how many 100's of people are in ICC at normal raid times (1900-0000) alliance and horde combined when guilds are trying to make progress.

Vegelus
21-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Altoholic and AtlasLoot also cause issues.
I'm curious, how could those lag too much. Yea, both take bigger amount of memory, but I don't think those communicate between players. Or do they? I don't remember any of their functionality that would do that.

Turiel
21-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Em, just passing on the info about Altoholic and AtlasLoot... I think they might cause personal lag problems rather than raid lag problems. Don't have details, I think Exera does.

Saha
21-01-2010, 04:20 PM
It just gives a different layer for WoW. On Wednesdays and Sundays you play turn based strategy, during the rest of the week MMO.

A bit more seriously though, we've been through add-on witch hunt several times in Wrath but it doesn't change the fact of instance servers not being sufficient enough on Cyclone. It wasn't so noticeable until "epix for all". Now you'll just have to live through ~a month of lagy Wednesdays after each new instance release. After that the amount of scrubs eating bandwidth decreases.

Turiel
21-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah addon hunting won't solve your problems but it might make it a bit better at least.

And yes, not enough servers. But we won't get more, its not cost effective to do so. In a few weeks all the scrubs won't be doing rep runs anymore and the problem fixes itself (until the next instance).

Greta
21-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Well some of the addon problems have been serious business.

The Palypower vs. zomgbuffs was very nasty. I would spam so massively that is would dc players.

My right hand is still hurting from when I slammed it into the wall in frustratrion a couple of months back when we had 15 pulls on Anub HC where people kept dc'ng every try.

Another fun addon problem is different bossmods putting different marks on pc targets (hello broken keyboard), but thats another story.

“goosfraba”

inacup
21-01-2010, 09:04 PM
So, yet another lag fest in icc. Funny thing is - as soon as one raider dies, lag clears. Madness. Unfortionatly we don't allways have the raid dps to 24 man festergut. What a nightmare.

Ring0
22-01-2010, 01:58 AM
Was pretty severe today... It might be more serious, I think the whole hamster wheel came off the hinges this time.

You can always tell when it's the server that's lagging. Vent degenerates into a string of expletives and whining when it starts to feel like you're playing Final Fantasy queuing up spells. At least it's not as bad as Naxx was, but still considerably annoying as Naxx didn't have a limited try system.

First thing to do is combat log filtering. Right-click combat log in chat box and start ticking stuff off. Personally I don't have anything enabled because I never check it, and I don't like flashy numbers around my character, your mileage might vary.

Second thing, add-on cleaning. I think there's an overeagerness to blame add-ons for every DC. Certainly first thing people do is disable all add-ons when they get randomly booted from the server. Not all add-ons are resource hogs/communicate with everyone in your raid. Use common sense here though, running ~70 MB with QuestHelper+Gatherer during a raid isn't going to help at all, but reagent restocking mod is not going to be causing you to DC.

There was a nice guide somewhere that goes through all this stuff.

Edit: Found it
http://elitistjerks.com/blogs/cadfael/302-fixing_chain_disconnecting.html

Tarqy
22-01-2010, 02:29 AM
We had 2 applications of Mark of the Fallen Champion each time Saurfang reached 100 energy or whatever that stuff is due to the lag, now that's fun.

Haplo
22-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Seems we were lucky last night. Started at 8 we went OS 1st to zerg it with 3d (25). So we went in at about 8.15 orso. At 1st we got instance is full, but we could enter after about 1 minute.
Besides a random lag spike every..... 30 mins? We had a pretty smooth run (lagwise)...
Vent was ever so amusing...

for all to know... Tuna isnt fish..... and fishcakes are yummie.

Turiel
22-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Starting later may be beneficial.

I *think* that ICC may have more than 1 instance server in which case, the later it gets, the less people create an instance on any given server.

Having said that, Hive raids start a lot later than others (20:30) and we still have the problems.

Greta
22-01-2010, 08:24 AM
We went in there 19.30 yesterday and besides the occasional spike we had no problems.

Even the gunships where smooth sailing :-)

Gwynin
22-01-2010, 10:15 AM
This week hasnt been as bad as the previous weeks for us, everything actually went fine up to gunship battle, where alot of ppl had 1-2 seconds delay on spells. Funny enough we also experienced the whole "24 ppl = no lag & 25 ppl = lag" thing happend during gunship battle, but I think that might just have been random 'luck'.

During Rotface it got unplayable tho with upto 4 seconds delay on skills in the last 30'ish %, was pretty annoying to put it mildly.

Coven
22-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Is anyone else experiencing far more lag than usual anywhere else? I came back from a 2-month break and had my first run in the Icecrown heroics. Lag spikes all the time and booted 3 times - also had major lag in Dalaran and Org. I'm running a quad-core with 8Gb RAM, so it's not a hardware issue, at least it shouldn't be!

I was thinking it was my ISP (Virgin Media) as bandwidth has been a bit random recently, but maybe not?

Saha
22-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Starting later may be beneficial.

I *think* that ICC may have more than 1 instance server in which case, the later it gets, the less people create an instance on any given server.

I don't think so. There were numerous cases where one ICC id was lagging while other not.

Tarqy
24-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Additional instances cannot be launched, please try again later.

We've been waiting outside of TotC25 for 30 mins now :(

Fnurgle
24-01-2010, 08:55 PM
We gave up after 2h and cancelled tonight's raid. :(

Gwynin
25-01-2010, 08:08 AM
We gave up after trying to get into ICC for 45mins.. :(

vattghern
25-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Is anyone else experiencing far more lag than usual anywhere else? I came back from a 2-month break and had my first run in the Icecrown heroics. Lag spikes all the time and booted 3 times - also had major lag in Dalaran and Org. I'm running a quad-core with 8Gb RAM, so it's not a hardware issue, at least it shouldn't be!

I was thinking it was my ISP (Virgin Media) as bandwidth has been a bit random recently, but maybe not?

Yes it is laggy as hell at times. I thought it may be a gfx stuff but even setting everything to low didn't help (it does not make difference whether it is maxed out or not). Midway our attempts on Queen I had 500ms, on the kill 98ms, straight after the kill 1200ms. That's Tarren Mill but it used to be similair on Shadowsong as well.

What bugs me is that even when there is reasonable latency (or the client claims it to be such) the game sometimes acts like it's 4 times the actual number.

Greta
25-01-2010, 03:25 PM
What bugs me is that even when there is reasonable latency (or the client claims it to be such) the game sometimes acts like it's 4 times the actual number.

Theres 2 kinds of lag in the game.

The latency you see in your client is just the time it takes for you datapackets to reach blizzards servers. Often you will have 10-20 ms latency and still the game is laggy as hell.

The second kind of lag, is server lag that happens when the servers at blizzard are heavily loaded and that is what we are experiencing in raids.

If you use a castbar like Quartz you can see the second kind of lag. Quartz measures the time it takes from you send the command to the server untill the server responds. This number is most often arround 100-200ms in raids. But can go up to several seconds when blizzards hamster is taking a smoke break.

evlyxx
25-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Seen same issues of lag in ICC and I believe a combo of server lag and add-on polling that are making these issues.

In addition to the mentioned addons I noticed that RaidBuffStatus increases your personal lag as well as those around you.