View Full Version : iPod: mp3 recovery

Bunneh
18-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I have one of the tiny iPod Shuffles, no screen on it and it just plays music. When I bought the new PC I formatted the old system to use as an entertainment system forgetting most of my music was on it (doh). Luckily I found quite a lot of it on the lil iPod so set about trying to recover it. Cut a long story short, I plug the device in but it doesn't show up under My Computer but the other drives do. I've turned off 'hide files/folders and drives' to no avail. I've read a few tutorials but none actually seem to work for Windows 7 and if they do it still doesn't show up under My 'Puter. If I plug the pod into the new PC it wants to sync and erase everything, and I can't simply drag and drop, the tracks are greyed out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Vegelus
18-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Shit called iTunes, newer winamp, or other multimedia software should be able to recognize it.

Über
18-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I have one of the tiny iPod Shuffles

I stopped reading here.

Llort
19-01-2010, 12:03 PM
iTunes can't copy stuff from your iPod to your PC.

You'll need 3rd party software in order to do so. Apple disabled it to keep music companies happy.

as for recovering your files. You might be successful using a tool like http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Worked so far for me :-) I've recovered almost all my photos and music from a MFT crashed hard-disk.

You can find the registration codes for the program on known sites ;-)

Bunneh
20-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Ta for the answer Llort, much appreciated. I managed to get hold of iDump and it's a really nice bit of software. You plug your pod in, it scans it and just lets you copy them to an Output folder, it even puts them into folders for you. Oh and it's free :)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/IPOD-TOOLS/Multimedia-IPOD-tools/iDump.shtml

Runs fine on 7, although it does seem to freeze when it's transfering, just let it finish, took about 10 minutes with around 1gb worth of music.