View Full Version : Thinking about returning after 3 years

Abbath
18-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Hello Shadowsong! Maybe some old Forsaken Crusaders might remember me as the guy who made the old logo/banner and also some little movies :)

This brings me to my first question: what happened to Forsaken Crusaders? Looks like the website and all disappeared?

Anyway I've not been online since April 2007 (when my oldest daughter was born :cool: I realized I wouldn't have much spare time left and I was really bored about the game). I have a level 60 warrior and a 63 (I think) druid as well as some other low level characters (all horde). This means I've never played 3.0 and most of 2.0. I've once been on Northrend, but this was on a private server and it was nothing more than doing a bit of exploring (actually this was also near-impossible because of the countless number of bugs). I've leveled up several characters on a private server during my summer holiday, but apart from the higher xp and gold rates it isn't fun at all: bugs, downtime, servers closing, losing characters... if you want to look around and test out some stuff private servers are great, but if you want to do some serious gaming: stay away from them!

The plan is to start off with a one-month subscription and see what it's like to game on retail again. Just doing some casual leveling. And Cataclysm looks great, something to really look forward to.

How's the population in Outland these days? I guess it's quite empty.
And what about the 70-80 range?

How do you think the game has changed between 2.0 and the current version? Especially for casual players like me. Is there enough casual content for level 80 players or is it just hard-core raiding? I once heard Blizzard made the game more casual friendly with 2.0 and 3.0, is this true?

Take care and maybe see you in game very soon! :)

-Gerrie aka Abbath

Vegelus
18-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Yea, old zones are probably bit empty these days. But it's less experience needed to level to 70, so it's fast. And it's a lot easier to find a group to any instance with dungeon finder. Especially if you decide you can/want to tank.

Turiel
18-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Its ridiculously casual-friendly one might say :). It's a big improvement on 2.0 and it's a different game from vanilla. Groups are easy to find within minutes, solo content is abundant, and gearing up is trivial.

Malakali
18-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I would return now before the next expansion when it will only be longer/miss alot of good content.

Abbath
18-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Hey thanks for the answers so far. I'm browsing through all the patch notes from 2.0 onwards, I'll probably read about those changes.

Any clues on what happened to the Forsaken Crusaders guild?

Bunneh
18-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I believe FC split up, although some may still have the name above their heads. I seem to recall FC had an alliance with shadow legion at one time. if you're after a friendly, casual raiding guild (who don't have any real restrictions) you could try Emberstorm; they're a great bunch of peeps.

Abbath
18-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Hmm Emberstorm, sounds good, thanks! :rolleyes:

Is it still possible to play without buying Wrath of the Lich King?

I remember when Burning Crusade came you basically had all the features of the 2.0 patch, but you couldn't enter the Dark Portal as long as your account wasn't upgraded. I guess it's the same with WotLK?

Turiel
18-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Yep correct, you can play all the content in TBC.

Abbath
21-01-2010, 11:38 AM
So I finally decided to come back... I did some research, and yes, the game seems to be friendlier to casual players than it used to be. Especially with the dungeon finder. Actually the word "casual" was a bit of a taboo back in the 2005-2007 period :)

I really enjoyed reading the following article, and it somewhat convinced me to try out the game once again: http://www.wow.com/2009/01/10/wow-casually-returning-to-wow-as-a-casual-reader-mail/#continued. I really recognize myself in the guy who wrote that reader mail :)

I'm going to create a post in the guild forum now...

Goonerr
22-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Wow is shit, come and play EvE!

Turiel
23-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Yeah Eve, awesome for the casual player.