View Full Version : Dutch Translation Assistance?

Elexin
07-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a brief translation/overview of this Metro article.

Picture: Link (http://www.jonallensongs.co.uk/jahollandarticle.jpg)
If the text is too small, theres an scrollable online version of the entire magazine here (http://issuu.com/metroint/docs/20091019_metroholland) or a pdf of it here (http://www.readmetro.com/media/archive_pdf/20091019_MetroHolland.pdf) and the article is on the 15th page.

My mum runs a fansite for Jon Allen, the guy the article is talking about, and as I probably have access to more people able to read dutch than her, she asked me to see if anyone could tell her roughly what it says :)

Metakerk
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
I'll have a look at it.

Metakerk
07-01-2010, 04:51 PM
New 'Rod' in the business. (It's a funny. The expression 'Rot in het vak' basically means 'Experienced bloke in the business.', but it's also (almost) Steward's name. Get it? ;) )
Singer-songwriter Jon Allen impresses with his timeless debutalbum Dead Mans Suit.

Is Jon Allen the new Rod Stewart? In any way his voice is like two drops of water with the legendary Scottish singer.
"If I find the comparison annoying?", asks the Brittish singer-songwriter laughing.
"Depends with what Rod Steward you compare me. I don't mind to be compared with Rod Steward, that cool singer from The Faces.
But I don't want to have to do anything with that dude in spandex-pants from the 80's."
Allen made with Dead Mans Suit a timeless mix of folk and rock. One of the song that jumps out is the shameless romantic 'In Your Light'.
And then to think that it's one of the first songs that Allen ever wrote. "People come up to me spontaneously to say how much they love the song.
The other day I heard that it's often being played on weddings. But don't ask me what it's exactly about. Okay, it's obviously a lovesong,
but I really can't tell you much more than that.
The song was just suddenly there, "Allen says." That happens sometimes and then you shouldn't ask yourself too many questions. I learned that from
Paul McCartney. He for instance had that with 'Yesterday'. Some say that it's about his mom, but noone knows for sure, including Paul himself."
My God, is what you'll think. Did that punk just compare his music to Sir Paul McCartney's?
There's an explanation for that. Allen and McCartney know eachother. Allen studied at the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts that has been initiated by McCartney,
and the two sometimes sit together to talk about the business.
Currently Allen lives in London and his life is all good. (Lit.: Life laughs at him).
When he just moved there, he earned his money by playing in pubs. "Also Rod Steward songs, yes, ofcourse.
But the owner of one of the pubs asked me if I could also play my own songs. And then you've got to be a bit lucky, and I was.
The man was impressed and he appeared to have good contacts in the recordindustry. That's how it can go."

Metakerk
07-01-2010, 04:52 PM
It's maybe a little bit sloppy here and there, and didn't translate some Dutch expressions but I'd say they're pretty much straightforward.

Elexin
07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Thank you very much :D

Metakerk
07-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Updated the title btw.

Elexin
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
My mum says thank you very much too ^^