View Full Version : Prot Warrior Tanking

Turiel
12-12-2009, 05:21 AM
Really liked this post from a random thread on MMO Champion :)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-warrior/prot-warrior-rotation/msg1846902/

You're a prot warrior. You not some half-assed DK tank spamming DnD and praying you don't over-step your rune CD, you're not a cute little teddy keeping up bleeds and mashing your face into the swipe key. You're sure as hell not a pansy pally throwing down a floor mat and holding true to your 969696 easy mode tanking. You're a god damned warrior. Nut up, because you don't get a rotation, you get situational awareness. You get an adaptive style of play unlike any other class in the game. There's a time and a place for all your abilities. When everyone bitches about how boring trash pulls are, you're having a blast, because if you know what you're doing, you've just stacked 5 sunders, kept up rends, and landed multiple revenge and shield slams on all 6 of those mobs before they went down. All the while watching your TC and SW cooldowns, keeping up with procs, cleaving, heroic striking, concision blowing (haaa..), spell reflecting, shield blocking, taunting, mocking, shouting and the occasional charging exactly when they were needed across however many mobs you just pulled. And that's not even including silences and interrupts.

Granted, boss fights are pretty much just spamming devastate, revenge, heroic strike and shield slam while keeping TC, rend and shouts alive.

Vegelus
12-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice post but I'm curious, what is that Rend he's talking about?

thurlog
12-12-2009, 11:09 AM
it was the previous flavor-of-the-day high-threat build

Bunneh
12-12-2009, 11:16 AM
This is in regards to Paladin tanking being 'pansy' from the above quoted post.

Yes it's easier than Warrior tanking was, at least to me due to my eyesight problem (insert masterbation jokes below please), but there's a little bit more to it than that. I know the guy's just using that as an example but most of my tanking involved a lot more than 2 buttons.

Judgements and Seals, situtational at a moment's notice (6 buttons minimum). Stun, stops that little mob running past you at an awkward moment and also useful for chainpulling (ooo another button) - stun last mob, run to next pack (another button). Shield needs to be up all the time, watching your cooldowns. Puffball went down usually at the start of a pull for initial aggro, then rarely went down again. And be aware Puffball has a tick, it's not there all the time even if the visual says it is - it's like a DoT. If the mob just runs over it without getting a tick it won't aggro the paladin. Hammer of Righteous was fine for most pack pulls. You have oh shit buttons to protect your group or yourself, DI to prevent a complete fuck up - etc etc.

I have played every tank class bar Deathknight; Warrior up until TBC, druid up until mid TBC and then Paladin. I agree that Warrior is probably the hardest class to tank with, then comes Druid and yes Paladin is the easiest but it's far from headbutting the keyboard for aggro generation, you have to slap your cock on the keyboard too!

Every tank class requires some sort of situational awareness. Way to many times I have seen a tank realise the healer's dead and then spend 30 seconds trying to keyboard turn (druids look funneh doing that). I stil have Tau to thank for making me from a clicker to a binder, even though he probably doesn't know it - that is a seperate subject though. I fucking loved trash pulls, I used to plan which mob I was taking first and watch everything around me. Really does wind me up when people come out with such statements like 'this class is easier than that class'.

I do apologise for the rant.

Flawless
12-12-2009, 02:01 PM
MMO-C forums do have some gold posts at times.

Malakali
12-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Really does wind me up when people come out with such statements like 'this class is easier than that class'.

But you agree paladins are the easiest, everyone knows it too.

Ring0
12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Protection warrior AoE tanking is as hard as feral druid DPS.

Belina
16-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Today i tanked VoA10 on my warrior for the first time and the other tank was a paladin, i had realy hard time to get over him on threat, he might have spamed abilitys like i usaly do when i tank on my pally due to multiple bunch of trash i collect in HCs.

ppl usaly say spam devestation, rend, hstrike. its what i usaly spam + Shield slam + the other one i cant recall atm. the gear was kinda equel, well he got more exp on pally tanking then i have as warrior tanking since i started about the day before -.-
Previeus tank exp
Paladin tank TBC/wotlk
Druid tank end of vanila/tbc/early wotlk
Dk n00bish tanking Wotlk
did some tanking as warrior in tbc, but realy little

But some tips on tank stats/gear, or abilitys for better threat and tanking would be most welcome:)

Ring0
16-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Misdirect/tricks usually makes single-target threat insignificant. Regardless if you need a threat build you should go for a Deep Wounds spec.

Heroic Throw while running in, open the fight with a Shield Slam, apply Thunderclap and Demo Shout right away, and get a full stack of Sunders up (feel free to shield slam again when the cooldown is up/Sword and Board procs if you're getting caught up to on threat).

If you need additional burst threat pop Recklessness, stance back into Defensive and Shield Block to give that first Shield Slam a big boost.

After that it's a simple priority queue:
* Shield slam on CD > Shockwave on CD > Concussion Blow on CD > Heroic Throw on CD > Devastate
. Make sure Demo Shout and Thunderclap stay up of course.

But really single-target should hardly ever be a problem, unless you're significantly behind your raid's gear. AoE tanking is a different game and hard to teach in writing, there's bound to be something on Tankspot that can help you out there.
Note Revenge will be worth using and specing for again when the 3.3.3 patch goes live.

Vegelus
16-03-2010, 09:43 PM
With that being said, remember that Concussion Blow is currently nothing more than threat only button on bosses with possible (on trashes) stun utility. If you care more about increasing your puny dps than threat (when it'll be possible), don't use it (last nerf halfed damage done).

On tank switches you can try Taunt+Mocking Blow combo. Yes, it looks like just a double taunt, but Mocking Blow has a +threat value too (and a really big one). Some warriors were experimenting with both minor and major glyphs for Mocking Blow.

And single target rotation might change a bit in 3.3.3, with the return of the Revenge!

Btw: rend? Seems I've missed the time when it was any kind of Fotm, but from what I've seen it's not used anymore. The only Rend usage would be a trick Veneretio used once: a "don't CC that target anymore". Yea, CC...