View Full Version : WoW is 5 years old

Flawless
23-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Scanning Kotaku I saw this interesting article,

http://kotaku.com/5408287/world-of-warcraft-turns-5-how-blizzard-built-a-nation

far too big to copy and paste, but worth the read.

How do the players (old and new) feel about their time spent with the game?

I'm not so sure how I feel about WoW, I've had ups and downs with the game. Wasting away hours when I should be revising or in bed for an exam the next day. I think I would do it again knowing the consequences of buying it, I also think it has sort of "spoiled" other MMO's for me as I'm sure when can all remember a time when the game wasn't theorycrafting and rotations and more holy crap this looks amazing, valor is the best, wow an epic that paladin Gerard must be amazing etc. etc.

Overall, I've meet some great people I consider friends and had some great times since buying the game, I also find it strange that I keep in touch with people I've meet in WoW and they've seen me grow up more than some old school friends.

Turiel
24-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Yeah I dunno... I got a lot of enjoyment out of it, but it certainly makes other areas of your life suffer.

Who's to say one outweighs the other without knowing what exactly they both are?

dantheman
24-11-2009, 09:31 AM
I honestly don't know how I feel or should feel about WoW. I hate it and love it in equal measure but like Turiel says, it's certainly made other parts of my life suffer. You can argue that's not WoW's fault, it's mine for getting too addicted.

I've had some great memories but mainly from Vanilla and the first half of TBC. After that my heart wasn't really in it anymore. After 3 years of solid play, i'd quit every now and again for a month or so but I always find myself renewing my sub. Luckily I can't do that now cos i'm so broke but I'd have probably found a way to pay it if I didn't have APB beta to play.

Turiel
24-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Well the one thing I'd say is that WoW has probably saved all of us a lot of money.

Think about all the things you'd spend money on if you weren't raiding 3 or 4 nights a week! Restaurants, cinema, pub, even other computer games!

dantheman
24-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Somethings you can't place a value on though :/

I just wish I had quit earlier. 6 Months after TBC came out would have been good. Anything after that was just a waste of time and money for me as I wasn't really enjoying it, I just couldn't get away from playing. True addiction I guess.

elog
24-11-2009, 12:40 PM
For me the only clear thing is that WoW is getting old and not creating the same attraction anymore.

Brilliant game but its age starts to shine through. We have discussed it in other threads but the accessibility today is at least for me downgrading the experience even though I have played it very little for a long time (and hence, a lower accessibility would deny me very large sections of the game). It is quite clear to me that Blizzard also does not really do anything new with the game. The creativity is put behind Diablo3, SC2 and the other 2 un-named projects instead of WoW (probably the right thing to do as well).

I definitely do not regret playing WoW - best game experience so far for me.

Fnurgle
24-11-2009, 06:35 PM
I wish they never made WoW.

Bunneh
24-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Wow was a good 5 years of fun. I'm glad it's over and I doubt I'll return to it. The primary reasons why I played was friends and I couldn't afford the upgrades needed for newer games.

Enjoying Eve at the moment, even if I do tend to keep getting blown up.

Rall
26-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Vanilla was great.
Friggin' awesome infact.

Everything after that was the beginning of the end.

I've renewed my sub now and then, but as of now the game is not on my harddrive.

Too time consuming like Turiel said. Other things will suffer due to that.

Faylin
26-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Vanilla was actually pretty shit compared to how good the game is now.
It was just new and exciting, that's all. But compare the variety in quests now to vanilla and you'll have to admit that we settled for things back then we wouldn't accept anymore.
And was raiding better? No way. Molten Core was utter shit, AQ was possibly worse. (except maybe a few encounters). BWL was a well made instance, and obviously so was Naxx. (but look at the the old Loatheb. I mean, who really enjoyed farming those potions?)

Also, Elog, I'm not really getting you and you seem to be contradicting yourself somewhat. A higher accessibility downgrades the game, and a lower accisibility makes parts of the game not available to you. Sounds to me like a gamemaker can't do much good then :P

I fail to see how making a game accessible is a bad thing. Pretty much all content is available to everyone who has half a brain, but yet there are still encounters that take the hardcore gamers months to master. Great if you ask me.

Obviously some of the excitiment you'll never see anymore. Nothing will beat that moment on a sunny sunday afternoon where we finally, finally defeated Nefarian and the screams on Vent shook up the whole neighborhood.
But on the opposite, there were loads of times where you would login and there was just fuck-all to do. Login now, and there's always something enjoyable to do, be it Wintergrasp, doing some dailies or a quick heroic. There's plenty of short raids to choose from, there's always an achievement to be accomplished.

In conclusion, I'm looking forward to Cataclysm... a lot.

dantheman
26-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Regardless of whether the game is better now than it was, I enjoyed it more in Vanilla and I think alot of that is down to how close the community was compared to how diluted and distant it has become.

Edit - You're right, there is always something to do. But is it really that enjoyable doing dailies? Saying that, I'd quite happily play nothing but WSG for the rest of my gaming days as long as it was in a team I enjoyed being in and playing with. And that is the only thing that is making me consider getting the new expansion (rated BGs).

Senex
26-11-2009, 01:32 PM
If it wasn't for WoW, I would've never met my wife.

So yeah.

Turiel
26-11-2009, 02:25 PM
What? Pics!

Über
26-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Vanilla was actually pretty shit compared to how good the game is now

You should have been there to enjoy the things that made Vanilla so good for me! If I would have missed them I would probably feel the same as you do now.

First of the three things was being pvp:ing in the premade on Shadowsong and being able to upgrade the team to a point, where no one could defeat us. Admittedly, after accomplishing the goal there wasn't much to do until the x-realm bg's were introduced but unfortunately by then I got bored and changed servers, mainly because there wasn't a pve guild on Shadowsong at that time that would have allowed me to chase my goals on that front. Though that thing seemed to change as well after I had left the server.

Second was on Vek'nilash where we managed to clear the whole vanilla pve content with no guides or such and reaching my second goal I had set during the early vanilla.

And the third thing, a bonus if you may, was the outdoor pvp on Vek'nilash. Those who experienced the early days on Shadowsong have somekind of a picture what I'm talking about. Possibly the most fun times I had with wow.

...there were loads of times where you would login and there was just fuck-all to do.

Well, looking the listed things above.. Everytime I logged in, there was always something to do for me. On both servers.

Nevertheless, it seems like you have reached your goals, whatever they might be, in wotlk and the game has become more enjoyable for you now. For me and a vast majority of my friends the game unfortunately has lost it's value and we've moved on to other games to find new, and possibly even better gaming experiences. ..But I bet quite a lot of us who've moved on still hope they were in the same place as you are now, since you still find wow to be a great game to play. After all, playing wow was a experience that all of us will always remember.

Fitzchivalry
26-11-2009, 03:28 PM
I for some reason have always veiwed myself as a new player in saying that I have been here since pre-tbc maybe becuase until now I didn't really raid. The game was to a point fairly fun in some ways I have Endless to thank for that and to hate for that can't say I have really logged in since I left Endless and left with good reason might move on from here to another game or start a project to make my own or some such thing.

Alia
26-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Flashbacks hehe

Each and everyone of us got effected by wow some way or anther, positively or negatively but in the end it helped in shaping who we are.

So I wonder what each one will do if he know then what he knows right now, will they still play wow? will they do the same choices? For me I'll play the damn thing and that is only because I had made some wonderful friendships.

Friendships that stayed strong and I'm thankful for that.

elog
26-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Also, Elog, I'm not really getting you and you seem to be contradicting yourself somewhat. A higher accessibility downgrades the game, and a lower accisibility makes parts of the game not available to you. Sounds to me like a gamemaker can't do much good then :P

Actually I mean just that. And I know it sounds like a paradox but the accessibility of everything (dungeons, raids, gear in general - PvP and PvE, and quests) actually makes the experience less worthy for me despite the fact that I can access all content playing 8 hours a week (and that does of course exclude a lot of the hard modes with connected achievements - I just do not feel thrilled by that part).

Feihcretsam
26-11-2009, 10:34 PM
WoW has it's moments :p

Still I think there is too much drama and crap in this game, some people should just play it instead of connecting all sorts of shit to it. Have fun for christ's sake! :p

Duckman
27-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I wish they never made WoW.

This.

/Duck

Bunneh
28-11-2009, 12:25 PM
*small wall of text*

Started off back in around late 2004 in open beta after Alia suggested I give it a go. We'd both played Star Wars Galaxies together; I'd quit in disgust at Sony's inept ability to run a good game so was looking for something new. Alia said 'you can be a Hunter and have a pet!', that was the clincher. I pre ordered, got access to open beta and started up Asly the Dorf Hunter with a pig called Betty.

Beta ended and the real game began. Again I created Asly, got a pig called Betty and set about knowing fuck all about my class, I even melee'd sometimes...rolled need on a blue weapon that wasn't any use to me (Black Knight one handed sword I think), so I think I contributed to the 'all hunters are asshats' scenario.

Eventually the guild I was in started raiding MC and ZG. With a handful of other guilds progress was made (Knights of Aranel, Perditions End, Crimson Legion and another I can't remember), everyone did great. Yes there was drama but with 40+ people all together on a regular basis it was bound to happen; but we had some good times. Loot the dog! I quit raiding after a while, just lost interest due to one thing or another. Moved to Horde and created a Rogue called Darion who I never knew was the name of a character in game...met some lovely peeps in Shadow Legion (Fearbuilli, Lightsbane, Ethera, Molok, Trellhiem, Evilstien, Deadshadow, Grbdfhjjlskhgj etc).

Went back to the Alliance, switched back and forth trying to do too much. Both guilds raided Kz, Gruul etc; some more successful than the others but it was always fun, until Aran who was always an awkward twat. Spent a bit of time on the Alliance trying to get things moving again but it was like pushing a boulder through water. Thankfully the GM of the guild was very good at his job and go them raiding regulary.

I moved over to Horde, again, and joined Hellscreams Mercenaries, met some 'infamous' names who even though they had a bad reputation were actually okay people. I didn't raid much at the start but eventually got into going to Kz to farm badgers and did Heroics for the same. Wasn't too long before I got invites to Hyjal and Black Temple. Those days are the highlight of my raiding 'career'; killing Illidan and Archimond with a casual raiding guild, clearing ZA in 50 minutes. All things come to an end though and people went their seperate ways; some with more success than others.

I moved to Emberstorm, enjoyed myself for a while but then realised that it was time for me to actually quit the game. I found myself still playing, even though it was affecting my health, so I knew I had an addiction and cancalled. You can now find me in Eve, usually on my own mooching about the solar system.

Thanks to everyone I ever played with, even the guys and gals I didn't get along with. Yes we had our differences, I was a cunt sometimes and did some things I am not proud of but in the end I learnt a lot and I thank you all for that. WoW is a good game, it's a fucking awesome game, enjoy it for what it is. /hugs

Über
29-11-2009, 03:32 PM
To the anonymous person who approached me regarding my last post: We did, shortly. I'm sure if you had been there you would know or maybe you just understood me wrong? PM me if you want to discuss further about the matter or if you want to stay anonymous, create a new accout and PM me then. Doesn't matter.

Turiel
29-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Post drama.

Über
29-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Oh, you know I would but unfortunately there isn't any. Looks more like a misunderstanding from his/her part.

Remember when Shadowsong's gay community frowned at me and send me a PM concerning my behaviour? I posted that, didn't I? :P

Ring0
29-11-2009, 07:42 PM
And we loved you for it.