View Full Version : What game(s) to buy?

Leeh
01-11-2009, 05:37 PM
So I'm getting a ps3 tomorrow. But I have no idea what game(s) I should buy together with it.. I never really liked consoles, but I hope this glorified printer would change my mind.

Any suggestions? Personally I thought of GTA? fifa? PES? I dont even know if online multiplayer is an option. And arent shooters lame with a controller? gief keyboard+mouse plx!

Ohh and spare me the "Get a wii/xbox" comments ty ;)

Im open for any genre btw

Goonerr
01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Well I don't own a PS3, I have a 360 myself but some good games you could get for the PS3 also are Bioshock, Call of Duty: modern warfare, Fallout 3, GTA.... just some of the top games available.

In my own personal opinion, shooters SUCK bad on consoles, you can't beat a good old keyboard and mouse, I mainly play racing games on mine.

Gruze
01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Tekken 6, Metal Gear Solid, Street Fighter IV, Guitar hero games, Brütal Legend, Fight night round 4.

^ Those are the ones I can thinkg of right now.

Kenny
01-11-2009, 09:48 PM
So I'm getting a ps3 tomorrow. But I have no idea what game(s) I should buy together with it.. I never really liked consoles, but I hope this glorified printer would change my mind.

Any suggestions? Personally I thought of GTA? fifa? PES? I dont even know if online multiplayer is an option. And arent shooters lame with a controller? gief keyboard+mouse plx!

Ohh and spare me the "Get a wii/xbox" comments ty ;)

Im open for any genre btw

You won't regret buying a PS3.

You should get Uncharted 2, it's fucking incredible, I didn't even like the first one that much, but the second one blew me away. I mean, it's so amazing, there is nothing bad about it, the graphics are insane, the voice acting is brilliant, the gameplay is lots and lots of fun, and you get to travel around lots of awesome places around the world, which in itself is cool as hell. Not to mention it has the coolest protagonist of all time! Nate rocks your shit.

Other than that I enjoyed Infamous, and Brütal Legend quite a bit, both good games. Killzone 2 is a brilliant game too, but yeah. Consoles and straight first person shooters don't really go that well in my book.

And if you're up for importing, you should get Demon's Souls, I hear that's really good, I'm planning on importing it myself. Fukken asians and their europe-hate.

Flawless
01-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Get a mac

AngelSakura
02-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Devil May Cry 4 is nice.
Ratchet and Clank if you like platformers
Resident Evil 4
Brutal Legend
Guitar Hero
________
FULL MELT BUBBLE HASH (http://trichomes.org/hashish/full-melt-hash)

Leeh
02-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I got killzone 2 and a dragonballz game >.< Its pretty fun, especially online. And graphics are just amazing compared to playing wow on a 5 year old pc

Goonerr
02-11-2009, 04:55 PM
I was really thinking about buying a PS3 (allready own a 360) but I checked the list of "Exclusive PS3" games and none of them took my fancy... Then I look at the xbox 360 games and they seem much better in camparison, is this me being bias or what?

I was allways a huge fan of Playstation, I own a PS 1, PS2 and a PS2 Slim... but something just doesn't tick with the PS3... :(

Stumpet
03-11-2009, 06:52 AM
for shooters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpM9MYtOXes&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rky24vN9gm4

i havent tried it myself but it migth be a solution :)

Flawless
03-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Borderlands while being pretty awesome, is console orintated

Notafama
03-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I'd say buy some race games.

Leeh
04-11-2009, 12:13 AM
shooters arent that bad really, its different for sure, but its very doable and fun :)

Ñightrain
04-11-2009, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHS-WABVauc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rovn3ExbBk

LBP ftw! Also Metal Gear Solid 4 is a must, but that's only if you're into watching a 5 hour movie stitched together by 5 mins of gameplay xP

Elexin
04-11-2009, 04:41 PM
If you're open to importing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvvb9PsYn3o

(Or if you like your trailers with dodgy american voiceovers and liberal helpings of review quotations, this second one might suit you better :P)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyOcmMF1Smw

Leeh
04-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Demon's souls seems like a very fun game indeed! It has co-op multiplayer mode which is a big plus for me!

Little big planet seems strange.. alltho a huge online community I think.

Multiplayer is a MUST in games nowadays, I get bored quickly playing single player ;p

infneon
05-11-2009, 01:10 AM
*Slides over to games shelf*

PS3 exclusives, I'd grab Uncharted 1 and 2, both superb games. Kinda like Tomb Raider, but good. They have super high production values and are great fun to play. Little Big Planet is a great laugh. Metal Gear Solid is also a superb game, but you kinda need to know what's going on as the story is a massive part of the game. Killzone 2, another high production game that's exclusive to the PS3, it's a shooter but you'll get used to playing with a pad in no time. Ratchet and Clank, there's a new one coming out on the 6th of November that finishes up the PS3 arc, but the first one in the arc can be picked up dirt cheap and is a great game, it's a platform shooter with bat shit insane weapons, such as disco ball that makes all your enemies dance while you fire a rocket into their faces. If you want a srs racing game, take a look at GT5 Prologue, it's a glorified demo really, but damn is it good racing.

As for cross platform games, there's a new Modern Warfare due out on the 10th, Borderlands was released not too long ago and I've clocked a good 40hours into my Xbox copy, it's a hybrid Shooter/RPG with loot whoring turned to max. Burnout Paradise is a good arcade racer and it's dirt cheap because it's been out for a while. Street fighter 4 is a good buy too, if you have mates round regularly. Had a look at any of the music rhythm games? I play Rockband quite regularly with my brother, good fun but it's expensive to start off, unless you can find a bundle on sale somewhere. The lego games are pretty good too, I've played them all and my nephew loves watching me play them too.

As for stuff mentioned in the thread, Demon's soul is a brutal game, not something to take lightly but if you can put time into it, it's well worth the hardship. Grand Theft Auto is another great game to play, there's also 2 additional stories out that expend on the city. Bioshock and Fallout 3 are well worth a look too, though they do have PC counterparts, if you can't get the hang of shooters with a controller. Infamous, another PS3 exclusive, I've just completed it. Most of the game is brilliant but the last couple of missions ramp up the difficulty so much, I didn't enjoy them. The ending also comes way out of left field and doesn't really make much sense.

That wall of text should give you a few ideas

Thordyn
05-11-2009, 07:52 AM
I really really wish I had some money to get myself a copy of Borderlands.

And some friends to play it with :(

Biscitt
05-11-2009, 01:25 PM
If you want your moneys worth and dont mind a pure single player experience, go with Dragon Age. They do say the PC version is better than the consoles (I'm playing the PC version), but its hard to beat Bioware storytelling while sitting in a comfortable chair with a big-screen TV.

Best game I've played in MANY years. Highly recommended. But its not the game to buy if you want pweeeetty graphics. Graphics arent amazing, but its solid RPG gameplay and brilliant storytelling.

Nimbus
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Beyond what's been said already (MGS4, LBP, Tekken, Unchartered 1&2) I would like to add:

PS3 Exclusives:
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1&2 - If you like a challenge
- Valkyria Chronicles - If you liked XCOM back in the day, and even if you dont know what XCOM is you should try it (and you should also try XCOM)

If you're up for some non-PS3-exclusives I can recommend:
- Resident Evil 5 - not as good as 4 but still pretty ok if you dont give Sheeva any ammo she can use, ever)
- Batman Arkham - a very nice game indeed
- Prince of Persia - not the best gameplay, but it's pretty!

If you don't mind playing shooters with a controller (I just play single player and cooperative multiplayer though):
- Resistance 1&2 are good, nice story and are PS3 exclusive
- Orange Box
- Modern Warfare has already been mentioned but I'll mention it again ;-)

Flawless
05-11-2009, 05:59 PM
If you get RE5 make sure you ahve a friend to play with, it makes it alot better. Sheeva AI is just beyond stupid at times and will send you into nerd rages

Über
05-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Valkyria Chronicles - If you liked XCOM back in the day, and even if you dont know what XCOM is you should try it (and you should also try XCOM)

With that sales speech you just made that game, which I have never played or even heard of, sound extremely tempting.

Flawless
05-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Mass Effect is the weekend deal on Steam, 50% off GET IT RIGHT NOW.

dantheman
05-11-2009, 11:13 PM
With that sales speech you just made that game, which I have never played or even heard of, sound extremely tempting.

Enemy Unknown is still one of the best games i've ever played.

Leeh
05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Got Borderlands today ^^

Über
06-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Enemy Unknown is still one of the best games i've ever played.

Oh, indeed. Right there in my top 10.

Shadefoot
06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
If you want a slightly less serious game that's a lot of fun, if somewhat pointless, get Pain.

I believe it was originally download only but available now as a retail box of all the various parts. Only thing you don't get that you have to pay to download is an addition al character - none other than "The Hoff!".

Basically you fire your character from a catapult into the selected area (theme park, city etc) and you get points for how much destruction you cause. Bonus points for e.g. in the city part, firing yourself into the subway system, grabbing an old granny on the way past and chucking her onto the tracks to get run over.

Alverion
06-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Borderlands is fantastic fun, if a little consolified, it also has a great theme song.

Vegelus
06-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Bugged / not fully completed (hai not all stats on weapon showing up, because of too big font size) too :)

Ajial
06-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Disgaea, I'm not sure which is for the PS3 but if you like RPGs that take alot of time and have alot of ways to improve your character then the Disgaea series is awesome. Its combat is alike to Final Fantasy Tactics, but it's alot harder. There is a fair amount of grinding maps involved but at the same time you can get some rediculously overpowered characters. I will warn you, however, the game is a large time investment even if you aim to power through it (There is a story mode that is a good story but probably won't take long to finish if you dedicated to it, it's all the leveling up of characters, items, abilities and such that takes the time and is (in my opinion) the most fun :))

Alverion
07-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Bugged / not fully completed (hai not all stats on weapon showing up, because of too big font size) too :)

For the stats thing:
/Borderlands/WillowGame/Localization/INT/
Edit gd_globals.INT
Change AttributePresentationTranslation="$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$" to
AttributePresentationTranslation="<font size="10">$NUMBER$ $CONSTRAINT$ $DESCRIPTION$</font>"

Luckily, pretty much everything in this game in modifiable to make it more PC friendly for the player, but yeah the bugs can be a bit annoying. The memory leak in LAN games is double annoying since it just crashes out after a while : (

Über
07-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Posting something relevant to the thread.

http://www.ShadowsongEurope.com/forum/imagehosting/186204af5f821d4b8f.jpg

Flawless
07-11-2009, 11:22 PM
LOL, where did you get it Uber? I can't stop laughing...

Über
08-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Iirc I got that from a wii vs ps3 vs xbox360 -thread somewhere. Always a good read.

Gruze
08-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Only console I don't like is the wii, but on the other hand i really haven't played much on it.

Nimbus
10-11-2009, 06:09 PM

I strongly recommend it with one reservation. If manga/anime storytelling makes you sick (and there is actually a decent story in there inbewteen the turnbased strategy stuff) it may not be for you...

Ring0
11-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Dragon Age go!

Bunneh
11-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Got a mate playing Dragon Age and he loves it. He's even stopped WoW for it because it's so involving.

Jurgan
11-11-2009, 09:49 AM
When I finally installed Dragon Age, I played it for 18 hours straight. My back was... hella sore. And I only had 20% complete.

S'awesome.

S'awesomely awesome.

Faylin
11-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Just checked a review and based on your responses here I just ordered Dragon Age.
Gogo mailman!

Llort
12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Got dragone age too, but! I have the feeling none of your choices make a real difference in the story telling. sure You might get an extra hint or two.
Or one of your party members goes like ZOMG DUDE YOU CAN'T DO THAT SHIT TO THAT GUY. While in some cases there is totally no other option....

It feels rather linear to me :( Still great though! How do you guys play? Real time or do you keep on pausing every second to issue orders? Do you focus on one character and let the others auto-play or?

Ohw, and the loading times for area transitions are annoying :( I hope that htat is fixed now though, now that I have my new computer (i7 860)

Ring0
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Real-time except when I'm setting up AE's, then I abuse the pause system.

Started on hard difficulty with a mage, got rogue and warrior lined up after for Nightmare difficulty.

Turiel
13-11-2009, 05:56 AM
Just got Dragon Age and really liking it so far. Aside from the great story (its Bioware after all), the engine is fantastic. Top down is an improved Baldur's Gate view, and zoom-in is just like WoW. Big improvement on NWN - I always found that interface a bit difficult.

Alverion
13-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Soluna recommends Dragon Age as well, a lot.

dantheman
13-11-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm I the only person that wasn't that impressed with Dragon Age's gameplay? The story is great, it looks great but something about it just didn't grab me.