View Full Version : Mac Vs PC

Muffy
09-10-2009, 04:56 AM
Hello there everyone.

I was wondering what your opinion was about whether I should defect to get a mac or just get another PC.

The 24" Screen version

* 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
* 640GB Serial ATA Drive
* Apple Mighty Mouse
* Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) and User's Guide (English)
* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

Is it worth paying more for the same spec but the processor is 2.93GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 256MB memory but It is 400 more.

Thats the spec of mac i'm looking at and I costs like 1,100 from apple with a discount I am eligible for because I work in a Bank.

Is that a descent deal or could I get one cheaper elsewhere?
What do people think of MAC's?
and what kind of PC could I get for that Price?

Thanks to anyone who sheds any light.

Ruoste
09-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Get a PC if you want to play something else than WoW + 2 other games. Macs are PCs anyway with an OS that is not Windows and which has support of only fraction of the games Windows does.

I know you can install Windows on Mac, but what would be the point of getting a Mac then.

Plus Macs are more expensive because you pay for the brand.

Llort
09-10-2009, 08:04 AM
the same spec-ed MAC is faster (with windows on it) than a same spec-ed PC.

That is due the fact apple uses way better hardware configuration and shortens all data paths and thus reducing latency between all components which gives an overall boost.

So I would say, get a MAC if the price difference isn't TOO high. (And if you can afford it of course :P)

Just install native windows on it if you want to play games.

dantheman
09-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Is it worth paying more for the same spec but the processor is 2.93GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 256MB memory but It is 400 more.

I built a slightly better spec PC than that inc tower etc etc for around 700 from Scan.co.uk

Vegelus
09-10-2009, 09:10 AM
the same spec-ed MAC is faster (with windows on it) than a same spec-ed PC.

That is due the fact apple uses way better hardware configuration and shortens all data paths and thus reducing latency between all components which gives an overall boost.
o.O Since when? That's something more like typical Apple bullshit than truth, to be honest (something like Ipods having the best sound quality, yea).
All they really have is tested configurations, like all other brand names, nothing more.

Delkashammad
09-10-2009, 09:28 AM
I’m not sure if I understood you correctly. Do you have to pay 1100GPB for 24”, 2.66 Core Duo and Nvidia 9400? If so, then :

PC equaly priced to 24” Mac(1100GBP):
CPU: Intel core i5-750 - 162
MB: ASUS P7P55D - 115
Memory: Corsair DDR3 4GB 1600 - 104
GPU: XFX ATI Radeon 5850 - 230
DVD RW - 20
HDD : 1TB Samsung - 57
PSU : be quiet! 650 W Dark Power Pro - 106
Case : - 30
Wirless Mouse and Keyboard - 16
--------------------------------------------------------- 905 GPB
And ~ 200 quids for decent 24” TN monitor.

PC little bit better performance wise (compared to 2.66 Core Duo, 4GB RAM, G110):
CPU: AMD Phenom II 550 - 76
MB : Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H - 87
Memory: Corsair DDR3 4GB 1600 - 104
DVD RW - 20
GPU : XFX 384MB 8800 GS (its GT130 before rebranding) - 58
HDD : 1TB Samsung - 57
PSU : be quiet! 650 W Dark Power Pro - 106
Case : - 30
Wirless Mouse and Keyboard - 16
--------------------------------------------------------- 619 GPB
You can save some pounds (~90 )on memory(ex. 1066 4GB – 70GBP), PSU (ex. Corsair 550W – 69GBP) and mainboard(something with AMD 770 chipset)

All prices taken from amazon.co.uk

Muffy
09-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks, I already have some HP PC that was 900 when I got it, has 400gb of ram etc but it seems to run wow slow... It's really not that old.

I mean the FPS seems to be low.

I just heard mac's were better, I Have a 22" monitor atm anyway lol.

I don't know my pc's spec but does anyone know from experience if you can or can't change parts of it?

I think it's just got a shit graphics card... I can't be sure tho until I get back home heh.

I have no pref whether it be mac or PC I was just wondering what happned to be best, seems logic i'd get another pc.

Flawless
09-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Don't see the point in buying a mac, considering you can run the OS on a non mac with minimal jiggery pokery. Their hardware is still overpriced for what you get in it.

Macs stopped being macs and became overpriced PC when they adopted intel CPU. So why bother when you know you will probably use bootcamp anyway for some3 obscure program that needs windows.

Faylin
09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
MACs look good in your interior. That's their nr. one selling point imo :)

Flawless
09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Depending how much you want to pay for a case, there is equally/more stylish cases these days. Can even make your own from a base if you have the know how

Slicer
09-10-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buyers-guide/2009/10/08/what-hardware-should-i-buy-october-2009/3

Llort
09-10-2009, 04:04 PM
o.O Since when? That's something more like typical Apple bullshit than truth, to be honest (something like Ipods having the best sound quality, yea).
All they really have is tested configurations, like all other brand names, nothing more.

I can't give a direct link to my *source* because it was a human IRL who is in-to-the-hardware. As well is a well known teacher on a university, and, has been well known in the robotics world (Robocup for instance).

I can say that my source is quite reliable.

[add]
The thing why apple's hardware (has always been) fast(er than a PC) is because they only target their hardware and software for one platform with specific, by them chosen hardware. That gives them an increase in software speed, also allows them to adopt their hardware to their exact needs. Without the need of certain backwards compatibility.
They are still utilizing those techniques, hardware based, but now for the intel platform. Thus, the software from apple is running really fast on these new intel's. But, due to hardware optimization windows runs faster too, than on a non-apple platform.

Slicer
09-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Apple still use their own drivers rather than the manufacturers', that's always been a huge weakness, not a strength.

Muffy
10-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Anyone know if you can add to a HP PC?

I Read somewhere that they stick parts on the case so you cant?

I don't care what the case looks like anyway...

Metakerk
10-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Wee another Mac vs. PC discussion!

I'm using a Macbook Pro and have been using Macintosh computers for the last years. I love it. I have been using PC's before for years, I do not nor did ever like them. Exterior and interior alike.

Muffy
10-10-2009, 06:59 AM
ah well, it's quite a price tag for something that looks pretty, would it be worth me dropping back to windows XP, would that increase performance?

I don't really like vista anyway..

Llort
10-10-2009, 12:35 PM
yeah it does. I too run window XP on my mac.
It feels (way) faster then mac OS X 10.5

vattghern
10-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I am afraid some people still do not get it. When you are buying a Mac you are buying a complete solution. Hardware and software wise. It is optimised to run smoothly and flawlessly. For instance I do not see and never ran into any issues with drivers. Hell I am not even in need of thinking about them when I am doing something, so that point is (seems to be) moot. Macs didn't stop being Macs by switching from PowerPC to Intel chipsets. The reason was (if you do not know it already) that IBM was unable to create good enough chipsets while Intel is.

I do not like Windows, however it has some minor positive aspects. Whether it is from me being used to have certain workflow and being used to Excel in its PC incarnation is debatable.

It is true that if you want to play a lot of games you would have to boot into Windows. It is still to discuss if majority of those games are even worth playing. You do have good titles released for Mac, however it is still growing and quite young market from Apple POV (as in, they decided to actually notice that part of the market quite recently).

If you are used to OS X (if it is not obvious, every system needs to get used to, and in case of OS X it won't take long if you are relatively open minded person) and switch to Windows to play some games I have a question for you (or even after you ran Mac OS X and Windows XP installer). How does it feel? For me it felt like switching my car from RX8 to some rusty VW from early 90's.

Out of curiosity, what are you using XP on your Mac for LLort?

Llort
10-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Out of curiosity, what are you using XP on your Mac for LLort?

Running TinyXP (was a bitch to install it...) just because I don't like a lot of things about windows XP that I would not like to have on my harddrive.

And it is really fast :-]

Muffy
11-10-2009, 06:17 AM
I don't really play games except WoW and I might want to try Aion, I really want a MAC because they are pretty lmfao...

And I just fancy a change from windows, how easy is it to get windows onto a mac and can you just choose at startup which OS you want to run?

I'd prefer to just use it as is..

I Think i'm going to get one, it'll play wow and if I want other games i'll look into it then.

Metakerk
11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
[...] For me it felt like switching my car from RX8 to some rusty VW from early 90's.

Couldn't agree more.

vattghern
13-10-2009, 12:27 AM
And I just fancy a change from windows, how easy is it to get windows onto a mac and can you just choose at startup which OS you want to run?

I'd prefer to just use it as is..

I Think i'm going to get one, it'll play wow and if I want other games i'll look into it then.

You can choose from which OS you do want your Mac to start. Obviously it would boot from OS X at the beginning. Installing XP is pretty straightforward (if we can use straightforward in relation to Windows installer), by that I mean it is running exactly as on a PC. Just before you do install XP you have to make Windows partition on your HD.

One thing to remember. Regardless of whether your Windows partition is NTFS or FAT 32 you are able to read all the files written on it when you are working on Mac OS X. If you chose NTFS then in order to write on that partition from Mac OS X you have to get NTFS mounting software (see mac.softpedia.com). With FAT you should have no issues at all.

When you have OS X and XP installed afair pressing option during startup will let you choose which OS you do want to boot from.

Oh, if you do not get Snow Leopard with your new Mac (which I do doubt, but hey you never know). I strongly recommend you to grab it. This is what I am going to do.