View Full Version : Would you trust a Deathknight tank?

Rangtark
07-10-2009, 11:22 AM
out of sheer morbid curiosity, I would like to know how many people would PUG heroics with a random Deathknight tank.

Odd topic it may seem, but quite a few times on my druid I have had DK tanks that were appalling tanks, losing aggro all over the place and taking massive amounts of damage, which kind of put me off them. But then again on my Paladin (was ret spec back when I first hit 80) I have had some absoloutely wonderful DK Tanks. Now to see if it is a case of the player or the class I decided to roll a DK (I'm slowly getting to 80), however I'm curious as to how many people here would happily trust an unknown DK to tank a Heroic (providing they are uncrittable of course).

Let me hear your views!

Turiel
07-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, there's a huge amount of DKs. So, consequently, they find they can't get into groups as DPS. So, they decide since the class CAN tank, they will just do that.

Now, I've found that a lot of DKs can't even DPS. And its very hard not to do good DPS as a DK. But if these same people then try and tank to get more groups, well... you can see where it will end up.

So no, I generally don't trust a dk to tank. But I'll take a look at his gear and whatever before deciding probably. If he has raid (ilvl 226+) tank gear he's probably ok. Of course, I'm a tank, so I pretty much never have occasion to come across a pug tank :)

Gruze
07-10-2009, 11:33 AM
There is a solution. Do not pug.

Rangtark
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, there's a huge amount of DKs. So, consequently, they find they can't get into groups as DPS. So, they decide since the class CAN tank, they will just do that.

Now, I've found that a lot of DKs can't even DPS. And its very hard not to do good DPS as a DK. But if these same people then try and tank to get more groups, well... you can see where it will end up.

So no, I generally don't trust a dk to tank. But I'll take a look at his gear and whatever before deciding probably. If he has raid (ilvl 226+) tank gear he's probably ok. Of course, I'm a tank, so I pretty much never have occasion to come across a pug tank :)

Thats sound logic there, I plan to use my DK as a tank when I get to 80, since I found Pally and Druid quite uninteresting to tank with. So hopefully I shouldnt have too much trouble with a group, but I do know what you mean with DPS, I have watched my brother (Disc priest who was on healing duty) actually out DPS the deathknight when I was tanking on my pally. That was hilarious.

There is a solution. Do not pug.
I've never had an option not to pug at least one person (usually a tank, which was why I rolled a paladin and went prot). I imagine once I get to 80 i'll find myself a guild that actually enjoys running Heroics, but every so often I still find myself pugging a group.

Malakali
07-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Cant most dps in plate tank heroics anyway?

Rangtark
07-10-2009, 12:11 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IVI5W8Eg3Gs/SI8lYL-M6jI/AAAAAAAAABE/hJEyACF7rNQ/s320/YouMad.jpg

Faylin
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Like Turiel said, it's usually not too hard to judge any tank (or any player for that matter) by his or her gear/gem/talent choices. As a rule of thumb, if I see retarded choices, the player usually is shit. Heck even a name can be a good indicator.

I have to say tho, the most retarded players are often found in the DPS section. I've had more bad dps than bad tanks in pugs mostly. (maybe because I usually tank myself, but hey).

What I forgot to say: my most important filter is actually the way you are invited. I always write "no ninja invites please" as a remark in the LFG tool. The idiot that still manages to ninja invite doesn't even get an answer. "tnk HC VH" followed by an immediate invite is also rejected.
If you're looking for a group yourself a nice catchy phrase often also gets you better (and more social) players. Try something like "triggerhappy hunter and priest of the healy type are looking for a meatshield and some pewpew to join us in the heroic Utgarde Keep" often gets better replies than "LF3more UK hc".

Flawless
07-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I've actually found names can be pretty poor indicators, me and a friend will ususally pug the daily and normally go for the funniest names we can find only to find they are usually alright players (yes this includes swedk, and magemage)

Rangtark
07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I must admit your probably more spot on there with retarded DPS than with retarded tanks. I quite often find myself scolding the rogue/DK/Fury War who keeps attacking from the front in boss fights when I'm tanking.

I suppose the flipside is as long as the healer is decent (my brother being my preferred choice when he's around) the DPS dont usually matter. We managed to two man two of the bosses in utgarde pinnacle at one point because the DPS died within the first 10 seconds (falling sword part on the first boss, and the whirlwind of the second one).

Still the responses here give me confidence that a) the first few DK tanks I had were just failures, and 2) that when I get my DK to 80, providing I gear correctly (which having done the gear up run twice now, I think I can manage!) I should have no trouble finding a group.

EDIT: As for names, I still think Shinyspoon is epic win :D

Slicer
07-10-2009, 02:28 PM
What could possibly go wrong with a name such as this in prejudiced pugs?

Bunneh
07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Mildy off topic, but this request from someone I didn't know shocked me somewhat. Politest request I have ever received.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/Bunngod/nice.png

Incidently, Muffs gets constant group invites, me not know why...

On the topic of trusting a DK tank. I rarely PuG and the DKs who I have been with have usually been guild tanks or friends of the guild; never had any problems with them.

On an offtopic note, I did do an instance where the druid tank ran about with a fishing pole on his back.

Faylin
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey! There's nothing wrong with fishing poles. Actually, last Naxx I did, my druid had just come done a Tournament daily and had a lance equipped, which meant I tanked 3 bosses before someone told me I had no weapon equipped at all.
Silly bear form hiding my weapon!

Rangtark
07-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I've done something like that on my druid, tanked KJ with the lance equipped, got called in short notice to tank him. Never realised until I won the staff and equipped it, only to see the lance appear in my inventory :D