View Full Version : Next Expansion - Cataclysm

Turiel
21-08-2009, 09:41 PM
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm/

Q: What is the story of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm?
A: While the attention of the Horde and Alliance remained fixed upon Northrend, an ancient evil has been lying dormant within Deephome, the domain of earth in the Elemental Plane. Hidden away in a secluded sanctuary, the corrupted Dragon Aspect Deathwing has waited, recovering from the wounds of his last battle against Azeroth, nursing his hatred for the inferior creatures that infest the surface realm...and biding his time until he can reforge the world in molten fire.

Soon, Deathwing the Destroyer will return to Azeroth, and his eruption from Deephome will sunder the world, leaving a festering wound across the continents. As the Horde and Alliance race to the epicenter of the cataclysm, the kingdoms of Azeroth will witness seismic shifts in power, the kindling of a war of the elements, and the emergence of unlikely heroes who will rise up to protect their scarred and broken world from utter devastation.

The face of Azeroth is altered forever as the destruction left in Deathwing's wake reshapes the land and reveals secrets long sealed away. Players will be able to re-experience familiar zones across Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms, rewrought by the cataclysm and filled with new opportunities for adventure.

Q: What are the features of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm?
A: Some of the new features of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm include:

Two New Playable Races: Adventure as one of two new races--the cursed worgen with the Alliance or the resourceful goblins with the Horde.
Level Cap Increased to 85: Earn new abilities, tap into new talents, and progress through the path system, a new way for players to improve characters.
Classic Zones Remade: Familiar zones across the original continents of Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms have been altered forever and updated with new content, from the devastated Badlands to the broken Barrens, which has been sundered in two.
New High-Level Zones: Explore newly opened parts of the world, including Uldum, Grim Batol, and the great Sunken City of Vashj'ir beneath the sea.
More Raid Content than Ever Before: Enjoy more high-level raid content than previous expansions, with optional more challenging versions of all encounters.
New Race and Class Combinations: Explore Azeroth as a gnome priest, blood elf warrior, or one of the other never-before-available race and class combinations.
Guild Advancement: Progress as a guild to earn guild levels and guild achievements.
New PvP Zone & Rated Battlegrounds: Take on PvP objectives and daily quests on Tol Barad Island, a new Wintergrasp-like zone, and wage war in all-new rated Battlegrounds.
Archaeology: Master a new secondary profession to unearth valuable artifacts and earn unique rewards.
Flying Mounts in Azeroth: Explore Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms like never before.

Q: Why are you revisiting the continents of Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor?
A: As we developed new content and expansions, we learned a lot of techniques to provide players with a better game experience--but the majority of the new content we were creating was for high-level characters only. We felt we could apply the lessons of Outland and Northrend to improve the gameplay experience while leveling in the original two continents. Imagine revisiting a familiar zone like Darkshore only to find Auberdine destroyed by the cataclysm--and then discovering entirely new towns and quests in other parts of the zone.

Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms are central to World of Warcraft lore, and we want those areas to remain an important part of the game, not just a place to train or auction. Our goal is to make questing, leveling, and the overall story more fun for new, returning, and existing players. By redesigning areas of the original continents and introducing new content that matches or exceeds the quality of Wrath of the Lich King, we can revitalize the nostalgia and coolness of Azeroth.

Q: How did you decide upon the two new playable races, worgen and goblin?
A: The community has been requesting to play as the goblins for quite some time now, and we wanted to stick with at least one race that players were very familiar with. This expansion was the perfect time to bring the goblins to the forefront and offer more insight into their past, since the catastrophic events of the expansion really hit close to home.

As for the worgen, players have been hoping to be able to learn more about them since Silverpine Forest. This is a great opportunity to explore their lore and the mysteries of the Greymane Wall. The worgen are an aggressive and beastly race, which is something you see often among the Horde races, but is unique among the Alliance races.

Q: Will the two new races have all-new starting experiences?
A: Yes, we are creating all-new level 1 to 15 starting zones for both races. Players will start their adventures with the worgen in Gilneas, which was sealed off behind the Greymane Wall. Goblin players will start on the Isle of Kezan and then head to the Lost Isles in the South Seas before joining the mainland. Each starting experience will be presented in a fashion similar to the death knight starting area in Wrath of the Lich King, and these starting zones will make extensive use of our new phased-terrain technology.

Q: Which classic zones have been overhauled? What are some examples of changes?
A: Nearly all of the game’s original zones are being altered to some degree, but the extent of the changes varies by zone. For example, Darkshore is flooded and has been completely redesigned with all new quest hubs. The Barrens have been split in two; one half is for low-level players and the other is for higher-level players. Azshara is now a low-level zone for Horde players and connects directly to Orgrimmar.

Q: Is another Hero class being added to the game?
A: We are not planning to add a new Hero class in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm. For this expansion, it was more appropriate to focus on the two new races, the goblins and worgen. We never intended to include a Hero class in every expansion. As you saw with death knights, adding a new class changes the dynamics of the game dramatically, which is not something we want to do in every expansion. We still have plans to introduce new Hero classes in the future.

Q: Will I will be able to use my flying mount in the redesigned Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor?
A: Yes. While the original Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor weren’t designed for flying mounts, we’re redesigning the continents with flying mounts in mind. However, we’re still determining whether there will be any restrictions on where you will be able to fly, at what level flying will become available, or whether you’ll need to do anything to unlock it. We’ll share more details about this in the future.

Q: Will I need the expansion to be able to experience the Cataclysm changes?
A: When the Cataclysm occurs, it will occur for all players, whether they have purchased the expansion or not--you will no longer be to play in the original version of Kalimdor or the Eastern Kingdoms. However, certain features such as the new zones, new races, and new level cap will only be accessible to players who purchase the expansion.

Q: Will “phasing” be used more extensively in World of Warcraft: Cataclysm?
A: Yes. We’ve come up with a number of new, cool ways to using phasing since we introduced it in Wrath of the Lich King, and plan to use it more extensively to change the world as players progress. We are also now able to phase terrain, which players will see in the starting areas for the goblins and worgen. We’re also adding some UI improvements to help determine when another player is in a different “phase” from you.

Q: Will there be any updates to the graphics and changes to the minimum system requirements?
A: Yes, there will be incremental tweaks and updates to the graphics engine in this expansion. For example, we’ve made improvements to the way that water is rendered. We’ll announce the exact system requirements closer to the expansion’s release.

Gwynin
21-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Aww now we dont get so see BB running naked thru Paris :P

vattghern
21-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I am glad I did what I did.

Turiel
22-08-2009, 12:16 AM
All the non-core stats are gone... mp/5, attack power, spell power, defense, block value, etc ... all combined into strength, agility, intellect, etc.

Eisenheim
22-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Yay for oversimplifying things..

While it might be a hazzle to juggle stats to obtain the best setup for your role, it also brings something to the game, In Cataclysm you just whack on some gear (and apparently reforge it to get more of the stat you want).

But meh, lets see how it plays out, the way it sounds right now, seems too simple.

Gwynin
22-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Well atleast with reforging it would seem that us plate melee dps might be able to get rid of the shitty stamina and use it on more usefull stuff, but yeah overall it currently looks like they are totally oversimplifying the whole gear game... :(

Aggromedon
22-08-2009, 07:36 AM
I really like most of those changes but I'm not convinced about that gear changes neither, I liked the fact that items had lots of stats on it so you had to compare 2 items thoroughly to see what suited your gear setup best. :)

Flawless
22-08-2009, 01:10 PM
It should make the game easier and frankly more fucking enjoyable, but also shaft those with a deep understanding of game mechanics

Gwynin
22-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah instead of actually making the players understand the fucking game, we're gonna dumb it down untill dead monkeys can play it.....

Yeah thats more enjoyable

vattghern
22-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Question. What's the most overused word on Blizzcon?

Fun, you knew it.

Flawless
22-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Don't kid yourself that you know about your class you are the ultimate gaming machine or that you read EJ it makes you amazingly superior, like it or not this change is probably going to help the vast majority of WoW players.

I won't have to spend time out of game (or at least not as much) making a list of what upgrades are better than what, and should be able to make on spot decisions rather than seeing "ummm... don't know if its a real good upgrade, but fuck yeah I'll take it anyway". Yes it shafts the good players a bit, but shit players will still be shit.

and since when was theorycrafting to the extreme fun? Not that it will be removed all together but it will be a hell of alot easier. You have to be in one drunken bored state to consider it fun rather than an unfortunate necessity.

edit, and won't this have a knock on effect of having less item drops as a whole? and thus being less dependant on hoping for a drop out of the fucktonne-illion on a boss.

Gwynin
22-08-2009, 07:49 PM
dont try to make it seem like Ive ever stated to be the state of the art when it comes to my class or the overall theorycrafting, never claimed such a thing and never will...

Spending time out of game to find the best upgrades ISNT a must for the average monkey playing the game, but if you want to perform better you will go that extra mile.

Its called dedication to a game and a overall deeper interest to what goes on behind the scene.

The average player can still slam his keys and 'enjoy' the game, but for those who care more the game looses alot of depth with those changes and thus becomes less enjoyable.

vattghern
22-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Nothing will help those 900 dps players. I am sorry. It won't make them focus, think and challenge themselves and more importantly improve. Catering everything on golden plate never made such things happen.

I also do not know how it will help majority of the players especially when they are already familiar (obviously to various degree) with the current mechanics.

Having said this, obviously these changes are not about catering everything on golden plate. For me as an ex-Game Master (from the Warhammer, Cyberpunk and Werewolf/Vampire days) and having developed one system on my own it is about time that Intelligence is going to be worthwhile stat for casters (as Agility or Strength had been for quite some time). However it should have been done from the start, not after many years.

Unless everyone will have to max out one stat - ie. Intelligence and neglect all other stats (ie. through Reforging) it is good way to go. There still is going to be Haste, Hit and Crit. I am curious how caster scaling is going to be implemented. Melee (let's not go into expertise and talents) scales with both core stats and weapon dps, I guess casters are either going to scale only with Intelligence or weapons will have different stat (sic!) just for the purpose of caster scaling (now how is that going to make it any better than Spellpower in regards to streamlining and simplifying).

Strangely, for me theorycrafting and numbercrunching had always been interesting part of the game, even more so when it required your knowledge and creativity, not some simulator to get the results. I also always liked the minigame called min maxing. It had been fun for me. It didn't ruin fun for those who were not able to go that extra mile.

So, fun anyone?

Vegelus
22-08-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm with Flawless, at least as a dps. I have that one small upgrade that breaks my whole gearset, not because of hitcap, but every other piece of gear that won't work for their best. Always hated that -.-. On tonk? well not that big issue tbh, at least not for me.

Tho I don't think it'll make loot list smaller. Look what Blizz did in Ulduar, after simplifying clothiers' gear a lot (merging healing and spell powers into one, giving spirit as a useful stat to dps casters, unifying, at least to some except, gear for enha shammies and hunters). Fuckload of gear, with yet another, bigger, fuckload of gear in current instance.

imigrid
23-08-2009, 03:33 AM
Gotta agree with Flawless on this one too.

When im looking for upgrades as a dps class, i need to browse gear lists and look through all the different items, on all the different areas, put them on wishlist, go through each fucking one and calculate on all these different stats in comparison to other gear pieces and my current gear to try and not overcap things along the way, and it takes fucking forever, and its so annoying.

Dammit i just wanna be able to see an item, quickly see that its an upgrade, and fucking use it already.
Inb4 EJ links.
Respects to the guys crazy enough to actually enjoy it tho...

vattghern
23-08-2009, 09:44 AM
You will still have the hit cap and expertise cap. I haven't heard that these stats are going to be removed.

One more thing. In WotLK Spirit became viable stat, in next expansion it is going to be classified as healer only stat just for the purpose of mana regen. In fact it does mean that they are going back to spell damage items (under new stats policy those with Int and without Spirit) and healing items (those with Spirit). Which kind of (at least partially) neglects what they were promoting so badly since WotLK was announced.

I need more fun!

Goonerr
23-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I need more fun!

From what i have read, it sounds like Eve-Online would suite you, Thousands of weapons and different ammo for those weapons, not to mention all the other Modules that go on your ship... the best way to compare it is to the "Mix/Max" thing you were saying about WOW, but eve-online takes it to the extreme.

every single weapons, ammo and module has a different stat, and it makes the difference of life and death in PVP/PVE whether you win or lose.

Vegelus
23-08-2009, 12:45 PM
You will still have the hit cap and expertise cap. I haven't heard that these stats are going to be removed.

One more thing. In WotLK Spirit became viable stat, in next expansion it is going to be classified as healer only stat just for the purpose of mana regen. In fact it does mean that they are going back to spell damage items (under new stats policy those with Int and without Spirit) and healing items (those with Spirit). Which kind of (at least partially) neglects what they were promoting so badly since WotLK was announced.

I need more fun!
Will see about that, but personally I don't think so. I think I saw something about spirit based mana regen coming from talents mostly. So they can maintain talents for casters that'll buff spell power via spirit (like it works now for certain classes/specs) with healers having talents that buff their mana regen.

Trupiaczacha
23-08-2009, 04:27 PM
So, fun anyone?

game will be more simple and more fun for this milions of players !!
and less fun for this 0,01% of players

FUN !!

vattghern
23-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Regarding EVE. Well yeah, thing is I am not into spaceship combat. Afair it does not run on Mac (no, I am not going to reboot it to Windows unless I want to play with modelviewer).

Taaa, pamietasz Trupi jak mowilem, ze z WotLK jak dla mnie konczy sie ta cala historia? Teraz mamy odgrzewane kotlety wersja vanilla. O ile rozumiem Grim Batol, reszta mi zwyczajnie nie pasi.

Goonerr
23-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Regarding EVE. Well yeah, thing is I am not into spaceship combat. Afair it does not run on Mac (no, I am not going to reboot it to Windows unless I want to play with modelviewer).

Taaa, pamietasz Trupi jak mowilem, ze z WotLK jak dla mnie konczy sie ta cala historia? Teraz mamy odgrzewane kotlety wersja vanilla. O ile rozumiem Grim Batol, reszta mi zwyczajnie nie pasi.

It does run on Mac =]
http://www.eveonline.com/download/
]
Eve has a steep learning curve though, the PVP has such massive depth to it with Falloff and Optimal range and then you have to take Velocity + weapon speed into consideration, then what ammo you need against your ship depending on if they are shield tanking or armour tanking.. etc etc

Trupiaczacha
23-08-2009, 09:10 PM

EVE is not fun :P spaceship... eee nope :P

Stare kotlety... i w nowym exp bedzie znowu naxx na poczatek. a 4 dodatek to bedzie remake of outlands ~~ banda leni jak nic ci ostatni dev w blizz ;(((

Saha
24-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Vatt, you want to say that Uldum or Deathwing doesn't go to same category as Gim Batol?=P
I wouldn't agree with your point that story somewhat ends with WotLK. By the looks of it, Cataclysm will have quite much more lore in it involved than WotLK. Afterall, all lore you got in current expansion was Arthas and an odd planet destruction mechanism of the Titans. Which apparently doesn't work too.
Neither would I agree with your point of "odgrzewane kotlety wersja vanilla". Personally, I don't understand why people QQ about "lol lazy Blizz arses rehashing old content". What content a lvl 80 char will be going through which it already went through? Two 5 man instances? So, all those tears of thousands of people because of two 5 man instances? Heh. Another case of people seeing what they want to see rather than actual things, I'd say.

Flawless
24-08-2009, 12:19 PM
also, on the point of rehashing old content I thought people have been bitching since TBC for vanilla again.

Gruze
24-08-2009, 12:23 PM
also, on the point of rehashing old content I thought people have been bitching since TBC for vanilla again.

You've been doing that as well ;o

Flawless
24-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I know I have, I never said I didn't :P

Now, when are you going to re sub you poor git?

Gruze
24-08-2009, 12:31 PM
I know I have, I never said I didn't :P

Now, when are you going to re sub you poor git?

I'll do it when I can.

vattghern
24-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Vatt, you want to say that Uldum or Deathwing doesn't go to same category as Gim Batol?=P
I wouldn't agree with your point that story somewhat ends with WotLK. By the looks of it, Cataclysm will have quite much more lore in it involved than WotLK. Afterall, all lore you got in current expansion was Arthas and an odd planet destruction mechanism of the Titans. Which apparently doesn't work too.
Neither would I agree with your point of "odgrzewane kotlety wersja vanilla". Personally, I don't understand why people QQ about "lol lazy Blizz arses rehashing old content". What content a lvl 80 char will be going through which it already went through? Two 5 man instances? So, all those tears of thousands of people because of two 5 man instances? Heh. Another case of people seeing what they want to see rather than actual things, I'd say.

Even though I had played since first Warcraft, I have never been a Warcraft lore freak. What I said is that for me the storyline ends with WotLK or to be more precise with Arthas. I got sold on this sotryline and Forsaken. The rest of the lore was never that much interesting for me. Everyone has favourite parts of the story and that one was mine. From this point of view I guess you can understand why I am not overly excited about the new content.

Regarding the vanilla and warming over part.

First off (and it is the least important thing). I was under the impression that it is only Azeroth that is being revamped and the new zones are only raid instances/PvP zone/sunken city/two starting areas (one of which sounds pretty awesome for me). Thus the warming over part. Maybe I have missed some vital info so feel free to correct me and I would be more than happy to reconsider it.

Then I do not like the idea of fighting the same bosses over and over (hello Nefarian) and that 'inspired by BWL' raid totally sounds like warmed over stuff. Even MC v2.0 is there - fighting Ragnaros (even if he is at full strength now) again? That is definitely creative.

The wording on all those instances sounds like warming over (yes I am using it as often as certain Blizzard employee used word fun). Besides heroic versions of old instances are nice stuff for patch not as selling point of new expansion. Also if normal Deadmines and SFK are going to be closed (I do doubt it after reading the heroic version in their description) it is going to be just lame (just like, in hindsight, the Naxxramas moved to Dragonblight was). Leave all the old pieces in their place, thank you.

So far I am seeing only some tweaks to scenography and nothing really new opposed to two new continents in Burning Crusade and Wrath.

However what put me off the most... are the Goblins. That is just beyond point of being ridiculous. I am not buying 'we felt Horde needed something tiny and funny'. Give me a break.

That is for the world and story.

Regarding flying in Azeroth and Archaeology I do really think these are going to be great (it may deprive Azeroth of all the oldschool feel though) even if the latter is timesink supreme. Another big plus are the rated Battlegrounds and had I been playing I would of have keept my fingers crossed for proper implementation of these and the new PvP zone.

Adding another race for Druids would be good stuff for me as I never could stand playing a Tauren. Some of the new combinations just seem a bit ridiculous though.

I am not going to touch talent trees yet. Cannot say anything about them at the moment.

Lastly I do understand one needs to be leet on internet these days and eventhough it is like pissing into the wind I would make myself clear again on the matter. It is just retarded to label as QQ anything that just does not fit you. But then again, I am not suprised.

edit: Oh, Uldum and Deathwing. The former was always just that abandoned place at the end of the World and I am just not buying the story how Deathwing got involved in all of this all of sudden. Maybe 3.3 will shed some more light on it. Who knows.

Saha
24-08-2009, 11:34 PM
As far as I remember from watching Blizzcon there's 5 new zones to lvl 80-85/, Uldum/Gim Batol/MHyal/Vashj place and I don't remember 5th. So it's not much different form other 2 expansions new zones amount wise.

And yes, I do understand your point now about Arthas and your interest ending there. However I don't agree with calling so far shown stuff as "odgrzewane kotlety wersja vanilla"=P

Trupiaczacha
25-08-2009, 03:43 PM
well i will agree in 100% with Vatt here we did play only Forsaken and this was best part of WoW for use...

this should be a patch or something but not expension.
They did have like 10 ways if you look at lore where to add total new things as expension...
it looks like they just wanted to make happy ppl that did join in TBC and WOTLK so they see vanilla.

if they go this way we will have 4 expension remake of outlands and agian total shit Illidan as boss where they did total fuck up him in TBC.

Cheiftan
25-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Don't see the problem with going back to Azeroth. Why wouldn't we go back - it's our home. If it's under attack then we should defend it, etc etc. Or something.

Also, new zones! Brand new raids! Just as many as were released in the last two expansions pretty much. And on top of that - revamped old content as well. Not instead of, as well as.

Little touches - last night I was told that the dancing troll village in Kalimdor (you know the one) will be a quest hub. Freakin' awesome if you ask me.

I don't like all of the changes that will be coming with this expansion, but going back to Azeroth is a good thing. It would be ridiculous to keep creating new worlds and zones and totally ignoring the old ones - as we have been doing for quite some time.

Azeroth is the life and soul of Warcraft, it's the bread and butter. I would bet large sums of gold (or even real money) that they won't be doing another Outlands expansion - that's just a silly argument. Think of all the families that will be delighted to see their mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, goats, bananas, water rats or whatever come back. If you think about it logically the only thing that makes no sense is to never use Azeroth again, and to not exploit it to it's full extent.

Goonerr
25-08-2009, 05:57 PM
As far as I remember from watching Blizzcon there's 5 new zones to lvl 80-85/, Uldum/Gim Batol/MHyal/Vashj place and I don't remember 5th. So it's not much different form other 2 expansions new zones amount wise.

And yes, I do understand your point now about Arthas and your interest ending there. However I don't agree with calling so far shown stuff as "odgrzewane kotlety wersja vanilla"=P

the 5th was the Elemental Planes where we fight Ragnaros =]

also, a side note aimed at vatt, im not so sure WOTLK will be the last time we see Arthas, i have a feeling something more will happen than him just dying and dropping his epics because during a Q&A for WOW somebody asked a question regarding lore and if arthas will just be a kill and loot event and the dev said that no, it will be alot more interesting and that it will be a much more interesting event, so maybe he escapes somehow or something, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Thrane
26-08-2009, 01:55 AM

We fight Rag in the Firelands actually, which is a raid. Deepholm is the last of the five new zones. So the Earth Elemental Plane.

Flawless
26-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Southern Barrens? Or do they me a <80 "higher level zone"?

Turiel
26-08-2009, 07:39 AM

also, a side note aimed at vatt, im not so sure WOTLK will be the last time we see Arthas, i have a feeling something more will happen than him just dying and dropping his epics because during a Q&A for WOW somebody asked a question regarding lore and if arthas will just be a kill and loot event and the dev said that no, it will be alot more interesting and that it will be a much more interesting event, so maybe he escapes somehow or something, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I think they've been hinting that we won't kill Arthas (maybe imprison him, or he'll flee, or something). This is backed up by the fact that we can't get Frostmourne.

Bleetman
26-08-2009, 07:48 AM
I largely expect Garrosh to balls up the kill somehow, giving him chance to escape.

Haplo
26-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I think they've been hinting that we won't kill Arthas (maybe imprison him, or he'll flee, or something). This is backed up by the fact that we can't get Frostmourne.

Imprison sounds like it, with the new pvp area that was announced. It has a prison to get control over (with knowledge inside that we wanna get hold off).
You need to enter as Clarisse as talk through a glass wall to Arth.. or maybe not...

dantheman
26-08-2009, 11:37 AM
I think Arthas will die for sure. The Lich King however, will probably live on in some way.

Also, regarding old content. I feel they needed to update EK and Kalimdor and bring them more in line with TBC and Wotlk zones (in terms of quest flow and updated models) before they could start with a totally new place.

Flawless
26-08-2009, 11:44 AM
It ends with Icecrown, the lich king is frostmourne and it was stated they are going to do something with it

Turiel
26-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Maybe you redeem Arthas? :)

Goonerr
26-08-2009, 05:08 PM
We fight Rag in the Firelands actually, which is a raid. Deepholm is the last of the five new zones. So the Earth Elemental Plane.

The Firelands is a region of the Elemental Plane :) so i guess we are both correct.

:: Elemental Plane ::
http://www.eu-otd.net/members/Elementalplane.jpg

Bunneh
28-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Whilst I'm very excited about the expansion, I'm even more so about how they will approach the launch. Surely they can't just have one day with a 'normal' world then when you install the expansion the world gets ripped up. There has to be precursor events leading up to launch or it'll feel wierd.

Also how will they address the issue with regards the people without the expansion? Phasing again? That's going to be a hell of a lot of phasing; but I reckon they've perfected it pretty well now. (yes there's possibly something mentioned about this somewhere)

I can't see the build up being as dull as Wrath's build up was, were the only good part was running about as a zombie infecting gold sellers (and lowbies in Ashenvale /giggle). Astranaar you did belong to the zombies, at least for a while.

Me.....like....shinies.

dantheman
28-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Or the joint horde/alliance zombie raid on Stormwind :)

Turiel
28-08-2009, 09:36 AM
There was a blue post saying that the world will be the same for those with and without the expansion.

Jarelan
28-08-2009, 11:39 AM
more zombie raids!!

Jimmy the Necromancer
11-08-2010, 02:42 PM
GARROSH IS A GOD FUCKING BEAST.

LOOK AT HIM.

LOOK.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2q3rzvs.jpg

GARROSH MOTHER FUCKING HELLSCREAM FUCKED ALEXSTRAZA AND FREYA DURING A THUNDERSTORM ON MOUNT HYJAL ON TOP OF THE DESECRATED CORPSES OF THE GODS.

Fnurgle
12-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Worst shoulder-"pads" ever.

Bunneh
12-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Oh god don't mention orc shoulder pads...you'll bring back bad memories...

Fnurgle
12-08-2010, 08:25 AM
I have to give it to him, they are pretty large.

Rokky
12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Or the joint horde/alliance zombie raid on Stormwind :)

That was the best part of the zombie invasion thing :P Funny how it was always stormwind that was raided lol

Turiel
12-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Its a joke surely... tree trunks on top of skulls? :P

Theory
18-08-2010, 09:41 AM
So my brother started to play wow this morning and ran up against the Cataclysm inlog screen... He does not have a beta invite nor he is on a sandbox.
Still the WOTLK inlog screen music and sounds though.

Screenshot incoming.

http://yfrog.com/9dcatauj

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6164/catau.jpg (http://img337.imageshack.us/i/catau.jpg/)

Speculation please

Turiel
18-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Now we have his battle.net account name.

Let the hacking commence.

Coven
18-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Aye, maybe you'll want to remove or blur the image? I'm a geezer and really can't be trusted ;)

Theory
18-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Not my account anyway, it's incomplete and authicators HUSAY

Llort
19-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I can't recall the beta client to have that login screen? And I even logged in over the weekend.

Theory
19-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I can't recall the beta client to have that login screen? And I even logged in over the weekend.

This guys is worth to speculate about instead of hacking the account ;P

Turiel
19-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Well. I'm not sure there's much speculating involved... the new login screen was either pushed out as an update during maintenance by mistake or they were testing it (unlikely).

Turiel
19-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Would be worth posting to MMO Champ if thats not the beta login screen.

Theory
19-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Would be worth posting to MMO Champ if thats not the beta login screen.

Working on this right now!

Llort
19-08-2010, 09:24 PM
http://www.daantimmer.nl/downloads/wowbeta.png

That is how my beta client looks like, I shot it a few minutes ago

Theory
19-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Whats this no battle.net id visible. You're boring llort!

anyways, that is a big difference...

Theory
19-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Update. We can create Goblins / worgen on live servers... They go as human and troll though...

Kromp
07-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Beta screeny of my rogue on beta Cata, incl talenttree and seahorse mount.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad107/loesje6/betaKromp.jpg

Kromp
07-09-2010, 03:55 AM
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad107/loesje6/Goblin.jpg

Kromp
07-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Btw.... If you want to start questing fast in Cataclysm; I suggest (for rogues and warriors etc at least) to regem to agi or strength if ur full Arp gemmed...

All your Arp gems will change into yellow 20 crit gems, totally messing up ur bonusses and metarequirements :)

So dont forget to regem a day or so before release...

Happy hunting :D

Feihcretsam
09-09-2010, 09:23 AM
loads of hit to hit the higher level bastards aswell :p

Vegelus
09-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Btw.... If you want to start questing fast in Cataclysm; I suggest (for rogues and warriors etc at least) to regem to agi or strength if ur full Arp gemmed...

All your Arp gems will change into yellow 20 crit gems, totally messing up ur bonusses and metarequirements :)

So dont forget to regem a day or so before release...

They really did something that dumb? Eh, good it will get on live before Cata, making a lot of people confused on 4.0.1.

Gwynin
09-09-2010, 12:02 PM
They really did something that dumb? Eh, good it will get on live before Cata, making a lot of people confused on 4.0.1.

Yeah they did that, and funny thing is that I have roughly the same crit% as previously, even tho they changed all my ArP to +crit :D

Bunneh
19-09-2010, 11:17 AM
As most of you already know the background downloader has been sucking the patch down the pipe. As of this morning the next stage to the patch is available and it's around 3gb (says 4gb but that's with the prior patch data). Took a screenie, pointless really, more just showing people how tatty my desktop is and how many games I have, which I don't play, litter the desktop...

zomg 4gb!1

Hohum.

http://www.shadowsongeurope.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=95

Torm
19-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I really don't like Blizzard's p2p downloader. I've downloaded 400mb the last 8 hours (while sleeping, so during night time) Geif higher speedz plx!

Bunneh
19-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Managed to get it working with utorrent and it's much faster. My ETA was around 18 hours, now it's 8 hours.

I used this lil guide.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=14713552401&sid=1

wariatus
19-09-2010, 02:32 PM
i usually have the p2p download disabled and it goes then with max speed

Bunneh
25-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Wish they'd bloody hurry up and do something! I reactivated my account because I felt the 'twinge' then sat in Orgrimmar bored. What the hell am I paying for now? I can't get into raids because no one does Ulduar, and my 'gearscore' isn't adequate for the damn braindead pugs into ICC10 normals. I am officially sick of WoW again...

Metakerk
25-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Run heroics, farm badges, get t9 and some other badge gear, start your own ICC10 pug --> profit!

Turiel
25-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Someone will probably let you tag along in one of the SSE GDKPs.

Bunneh
26-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Would be awesome if they did. I do have a few 200 items though, and a blue cloak. I'm 4/5 T9, with most of my gear 219 or better. Crafted chest, bracers, Triumph badge gear etc. Have to see who would take me along, of course I'd do my research on the fights.

Gwynin
01-10-2010, 02:08 PM
gDKP runs want your money tho :P

Bunneh
01-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Gave up on it. Just running heroics until my eyes bleed.

Roadhouse
03-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Gave up on it. Just running heroics until my eyes bleed.

Only til your eyes bleed? run em until you die! But then you would not have any use for the gear you are farming i guess.

Theory
04-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Bought a new month and still didn't play -.- suppose I'm not attending cataclysm.

Über
06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9644/yeaaaaaaaaaaaah.jpg

Not really a great effort, but a effort nonetheless.

SoniqBoom
07-10-2010, 05:30 AM
so I finally got around to re-installing the PTR after coming back to the game,
I must say im a very happy shaman with all the new changes made
Read alot of QQ about enhance being a bit crap but luckily Im Elemental which after some messing around on the PTR and adjusting to how the new rotation system is, Elemental is in a very very good position right now
30k Earth shock crits??? omfg yes please lol, the rotation is much much better now.
The new AOE Earthquake skill does seem to be lacking a little bit of damage but will probably scale nicely later on
The changes to lava burst cd resetting is gonna cause some major Crying in PvP thats for sure, especially with Earth shock critting so damn much with 9 lightening shield stacks.
The mana regen most certainly needs or should be nerfed though as it is pretty much impossible to go OOM