View Full Version : What causes this to happen?

Goonerr
28-07-2009, 08:41 PM
I was in work today and i was in a very loud area, with a machine going and making lots of noise, i was busy and concentrating on my work, suddenly i got this overwhelming feeling of somebody looking at me, i turned around and low and behold, my supervisor was looking at me taking the piss.

This isnt the first time, it happens alot, i work with this creep and sometimes hes looking at me through small gaps, some how i sence it while looking the other direction, look around and look straight at him through the gap, i dont know how this works... does anyone else get this? the feeling of being looked at and then you look around and sombody is looking at you.

what causes this?

Sylfide
28-07-2009, 09:10 PM
/poke
wee i touched a freak today

Goonerr
28-07-2009, 09:12 PM
/poke
wee i touched a freak today

thanks, ;)..... but seriously, ive heard so many people say the same thing as this

Oogie
28-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Electro Magnetic fields have been known to cause paranoia but many people have been known to have extra sensory perception, albeit some strongers than others.

Astroth
29-07-2009, 05:13 AM
Most people can sense when someone is looking or staring at them for a longer period of time.
Too bad we don't use more of our brainpower to excel our more "hidden" senses. Evolution will tell...

Faylin
29-07-2009, 07:21 AM
what causes this?

To put things into perspective. How many times you think someone has been looking at you that you haven't noticed? In other words, the only time you notice someone staring at you, is when you actually see it. This could make you think you sense it, while maybe you haven't sensed it on a lot more occasions.

Another example is meeting someone you know in a place where you didn't expect it. This may look like coincidence, but... what you don't know is the number of times you were close to someone you know but you've just missed eachother...

Stuff like this makes people believe in supernatural shit, while in fact it doesn't explain anything:)

Über
29-07-2009, 08:20 AM
In other words, the only time you notice someone staring at you, is when you actually see it.

Yes, this right here is the answer. You see the person, or even just slight movement or such from the corner of your eye. On top of that the observation happens on such a minimal state that you really don't register it, only in a subconcious way. After that your brain might process this infromation which then causes the feeling that you are being watched.

(That's pretty much how it goes, been a while when I read about those things so correct me if I'm wrong.)

Kinshara
29-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Another possibility is coincidence -- are there times that you thought someone was looking at you, but couldn't find anyone when you checked?

Humans in general seem to be very willing to accept supernatural explanations for a single occurence, even when many similar events didn't turn out the same way.

I figure a decent experiment would involve you sitting in a soundproofed room with an observation room behind you(one-way glass in between); people enter and leave the observation area at random times, and you press a button when you think you are being watched. If there's a significant correlation between the two, it would merit further investigation. (Unfortunately, that's out of my budget range ;) )

Über
29-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Actually the things I mentioned in my previous post were the results found in a experiment much like the one you described.

Slicer
29-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Out of the corner of your eye you clearly saw a crop circle which predicted that someone would be watching you. This combined with aliens attacking the planet and the noise generated by the machine caused you to 'sense' the other presence.

dantheman
29-07-2009, 04:02 PM
lmfao

Goonerr
29-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Out of the corner of your eye you clearly saw a crop circle which predicted that someone would be watching you. This combined with aliens attacking the planet and the noise generated by the machine caused you to 'sense' the other presence.

yea, and they are comming for you!!.... next time your in the shower with the curtain pulled, they will be on the other side of the curtain! ready to grab you, abduct you and use probes on you. for real.