View Full Version : Has Cat5 replaced RG-58?

Goonerr
25-07-2009, 05:04 PM
I have been getting problems recently with my network.... my computer is Wired to my Belkin Router and my Belkin Router is then connected to my Realtek Modem (Which uses a Coax cable to bring my internet in from outside)

My internet keeps dropping off, even though my PC says there is no problem with my connection and that im still connected to the internet (even Diagnose and Repair doesnt work because Vista doesnt physically see any problem).... so im a bit lost.

i called my ISP and they told me that my line is fine and they even told me i was using a Belkin router so all i can think of is that i have a problem with my Realtek modem, so i tried searching the internet for a new modem that has a coax connection on..... guess what??
I cant fine one ANYWARE..... am i still living in the prehistoric times or what?

I have included a picture so you can get a full idea of my modem and setup

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/4930/dsc00891w.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8229/dsc00890i.jpg

Its driving me nuts because i could be browsing a website and then suddenly my internet will drop and it only takes about 15 seconds to come back in but after so many times it gets really really annoying.

i have tried resseting my modem and router but this doesnt help, turning my modem and router off, then starting my modem, and then starting my router, i leave them off power for a couple of minutes.

PS: i need a reouter for my dads laptop or otherwise i wouldnt use one.

System Spec

Router: Belkin Wireless G Router
Modem: Webstar ECP2100 Series

any help would be much appreciated or ideas that i can try.

Goonerr
25-07-2009, 05:57 PM
after further investigation.... i have had Ping running in CMD in the background while ive been browsing the internet... internet keeps dropping off but i still get a reply from my website with no time outs...

what could the problem be, im so stumped... maybe its just vista causing me problems?

Goonerr
25-07-2009, 06:35 PM
well, i thought id re-instate my other router i had.. a Sitecom gaming router http://www.gaming-router.com/

seems this has fixed my Desktop PC problem, and ive noticed my connection strength on my laptop has increased x10... before it was very low in the kitchen, now i can use it at the bottom of the garden with Excelent connection strength.... Belkin must either suck or have compatability issues with Vista :/

Vegelus
25-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Tried to use different cables (between modem/router and router/pc)? Maybe one of them is damaged slightly. Or, if those are homemade, someone tightened them lousy.

TBH I don't see why router could have any problems with vista (or any other system that has correct TCP/IP and/or UDP implementations). It's not like it would be system dependand when establishing connection.
On the other side I'm not network expert, so someone might suprise me here.

Goonerr
25-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Tried to use different cables (between modem/router and router/pc)? Maybe one of them is damaged slightly. Or, if those are homemade, someone tightened them lousy.

TBH I don't see why router could have any problems with vista (or any other system that has correct TCP/IP and/or UDP implementations). It's not like it would be system dependand when establishing connection.
On the other side I'm not network expert, so someone might suprise me here.

i did indeed try to use a different cable but it didnt help :(.... although i seem to have fixed my problem, i still dont know why i had problems, i allways thought belkin were a good brand.

thurlog
25-07-2009, 07:34 PM
sounds like a DNS problem (seeing ping is flawless as you state). Does your router provide your DNS? Set your desktop to use your ISP's one directly.

Muh
26-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Got a belkin router that looks just like that here.
We had a problem like that when we received a new modem at some point. Browsing pages seemed fine but streaming anything was impossible and downloads would stop every so many seconds. We used the cd that came with the router to set up the router again from scratch and that fixed everything.
Might not be related at all ofcourse.

Llort
27-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I've got that belkin router too, it sometimes just borg's on the internet.

A quick un-plug/plug from the power supply usually helpds :-). That or re-plugging the UTP cable itself for like 5seconds mostly does the trick.

It doesn't happen a lot though, like, 1-2 times per week.

Goonerr
27-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I've got that belkin router too, it sometimes just borg's on the internet.

A quick un-plug/plug from the power supply usually helpds :-). That or re-plugging the UTP cable itself for like 5seconds mostly does the trick.

It doesn't happen a lot though, like, 1-2 times per week.

lol trust me ive did that more times than you can imagine, i was at my whitts end and seconds away from fisting the screen.... untill i remembered my other router, swapped it over and not had a problem since, touch wood.

funny how you all have the same router, must be quite popular. =]

thanks for all your help though everyone, much appreciated =]

Llort
27-07-2009, 11:06 PM
well it was cheap and had everything I needed :P Guess this is the reason why it was so cheap :P