View Full Version : Overheating

imigrid
25-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Ok so i bought a brand new PC about 3 weeks ago, it looks sweet, runs sweet, sounds sweet and i love it dearly.

I have never had a single problem with it up until now. When i bought it, it came with a copy of Farcry 2, wich was awesome since i hadnt played it yet.

Playing it on top quality witouth any issues, runs very smoothly. 1 hour in, the whole game shuts down and im back at the desktop, i notice the speedfan icon shows my CPU is at 89C, holy shit.

I have both windows in my room fully open, a big fan standing at the windows to blow the cold air into the room, 4 fans in the PC running at 100% speed, removed one of the covers on the side, nothing is clocked, and im not running a whole bunch of programs at once, and it still heats up like crazy.
My CPU heat is around 52 when im just browsing the net.

I have very limited knowledge on how a PC actually works, and my uncle is the one who took care of ordering parts and setting it up, since he has considerable more knowledge than i do, but he has no idea whats going on.

So...any suggestions on this?
Should i consider water cooling?

Slicer
25-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Sounds like the heatsink isn't properly seated on the CPU. If it's the stock one that came with the CPU it's shit, buy a new one and don't use the thermal paste that comes with it. Get Arctic Silver 5 or something.

Would also help to know the temperatures of other components in the case, as well as case temp. Although if it's just the CPU overheating then it's probably the heatsink. Watercooling is pointless if you're not overclocking, unless you're obsessed with having a quieter machine.

imigrid
25-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Ok thanks for assisting Slicer.

Just gonna copy what it says on speedfan then.

CPU: 52C
Temp1: 28C
Temp2: 39C
Temp3: -128C (...?)
HD0: 31C
HD1: 27C
HD2: 27C
Core0: 42C
Core1: 42C

This is listed when im just browsing SSE.

CPU is marked with a fire icon.
Core0 and Core1 is marked with a green hook.
Everything else has a blue arrow pointing down.

Thats everything about heating i can find on Speedfan.

I looked at this while playing the game, and nothing gets the fire icon and changes considerably other than the CPU.

Edit: Man im stupid, should list the numbers when im actually playing the game.

Vegelus
25-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Now then knowing your CPU (and probably mobo too) would help to get some better cooling.

Flawless
25-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Use a Coretemp for accurate temperatures

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

if its idling at 52 Slicer is probably bang on the money.

also, torture test your CPU using Prime95 with Small FFT's (I don't recommend doing this until you mount the Heatsink properly) assuming it is an intel one for a Core2 it will be fine for an non-OC'd CPU they are just a bastard to get one properly.

Llort
27-07-2009, 12:16 PM
a tip on the *overheating signs* in speedfan.

You can set those values yourself on when it should display what icon.

A blue arrow down means that the temperature is falling, red arrow up means it is rising.

Gwynin
27-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Its the seating of the cpu heatsink that is the problem, not the type of heatsink. My intel core2 duo 3ghz uses the standard out of the box heatsink and is way cooler that yours... :)

Whoever built your pc did a poor job on that part hehe

imigrid
28-07-2009, 04:31 AM
It was built by the company i ordered it from :P