View Full Version : Relaunch Competitions

Turiel
18-07-2009, 04:53 AM
Hey,

I've just noticed that our relaunch will probably coincide with our 4th birthday (which is in August).

I was already planning on giving some sort of a prize along with our relaunch, but since its our birthday I'd like to organise competitions and things to do, and really make it a realm event that people talk about so we get a membership boost.

Ideas?

Points to bear in mind:
- There should be a competition that rewards existing members
- A competition that rewards new members
- A competition that rewards people who've never even joined or heard of SSE, that can be promoted in-game.

Along with this, I'd like to give out some cool prizes. Usually what we've gone for is in-game stuff (like epix, a run with a raiding guild, gold, and so on). I'd like to continue this but also add major prizes. Like, a graphics card or something, but thats a bit boring. I'd like something thats original, that will get people talking, that people will actually go out of their way to win. Ideas?

Turiel
19-07-2009, 06:41 PM
No mods even read the forum anymore? :P

Llort
22-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I am still here reading this place, <but> I am no mod :P

Anyway, prize idea: Cooler Master are selling special hand-crafted cases. The Cooler Master CSX: http://csx.coolermaster-usa.com/
Every case is uniquely designed by some artist. Thus you will always have a case that no one else has. Based on the Stacker or Cosmos case style.

Turiel
22-07-2009, 09:40 AM
I might move this to general..

Jarelan
22-07-2009, 02:23 PM
I just had no ideas :(

Flawless
23-07-2009, 01:55 PM
That treasure hunt thing in vanilla was awesome

Turiel
23-07-2009, 01:58 PM
This got very little input in the site staff forum so moving it to general.

I'd really really like if I can get some volunteers to be part of a "event committee" and think up and organise some events for our big relaunch.

The SSE.com community is mainly made up of the original players who started back in 2005, and many of us have moved on or taken breaks. We really need to get some fresh blood in here and I'd like our launch competitions to be a big part of this.

To kick start the brainstorming, Crash had mentioned a few good ideas to me yesterday:

The classic level 1 gnome race, but from Dalaran all the way home.
Dueling competitions
Some sort of parachute competition where everyone jumps off and see who can get the closest to the marked landing spot (maybe in WG?).
Would be awesome if Chonar+co could get that Master Quest 2 done.
A gladiator style competition where you have to burst through a group of enemies.
Big PVP zone event.
Any more?

Jarelan
23-07-2009, 02:25 PM
# Some sort of parachute competition where everyone jumps off and see who can get the closest to the marked landing spot (maybe in WG?).

I used to play gnome darts in Honor Hold, mounting up, flying as high as the game would allow, then using the minimap to target yourself over the War Memorial then dismounting.

Legendfierce
23-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Musical statues.
or maybe a solo event lets say on Onyxia where one person enters the instance clears trash and starts onyxia fastest kill on Onyxia wins i duno just an idea..

Turiel
24-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Bump... that sounds interesting Legend.

Kabale
24-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Level 1 Gnome race sounds awesome. Would like some proper world PvP event as well although I don't see how you could make a competition out of that.

Tyrannis
24-07-2009, 08:36 AM
We did a hide and seek event for our guild birthday.

Also did a treasure hunt which turned out better then expected.

Soluna
24-07-2009, 09:24 AM
We did a few competitions back in sotf - one of which was I would take a screenshot in some obscure place and people had to guess where it was.

Ofc I would wall walk into weird places =p people could still guess correctly but I guess it's not quite as possible or fun anymore.

Still - people with old worldy experience would have an advantage where as tbc and wotlk new comers may be at a disadvantage.

Gruze
24-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Last man standing in one of the arena's.

Cheiftan
24-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Treasure hunt is a given, always good fun. Especially with riddles.

Similar to a treasure hunt we could ask people to bring certain very hard-to-find items - not sure what those items would be anymore though.

I once did a competition (similar to Soluna's above) where I used model viewer to take screens of famous warcraft characters and people had to name them, worked reasonably well.

In terms of a fun and original prize - how about tickets to a computer game related event? I would say Blizzcon, but that's a bit short notice now, and Blizzon 2010 is a long way away. There must however be other events of a similar nature - doesn't need to be WoW related.

Metakerk
24-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm up for helping setting up some kind of event.

Tyrannis
24-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Original prize could be a scale model of their character from that website that was launched recently.

Turiel
24-07-2009, 12:53 PM
We did a few competitions back in sotf - one of which was I would take a screenshot in some obscure place and people had to guess where it was.

Ofc I would wall walk into weird places =p people could still guess correctly but I guess it's not quite as possible or fun anymore.

Still - people with old worldy experience would have an advantage where as tbc and wotlk new comers may be at a disadvantage.

I really like this idea because its something we can do on the forum...

Turiel
24-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Original prize could be a scale model of their character from that website that was launched recently.

Thats a good idea. Linky?

Turiel
24-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Treasure hunt is a given, always good fun. Especially with riddles.

Similar to a treasure hunt we could ask people to bring certain very hard-to-find items - not sure what those items would be anymore though.

I once did a competition (similar to Soluna's above) where I used model viewer to take screens of famous warcraft characters and people had to name them, worked reasonably well.

In terms of a fun and original prize - how about tickets to a computer game related event? I would say Blizzcon, but that's a bit short notice now, and Blizzon 2010 is a long way away. There must however be other events of a similar nature - doesn't need to be WoW related.

Yeah a treasure hunt is something everyone can participate in.

I checked out Blizzcon tickets, $500 on ebay. So, no.

Turiel
24-07-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm up for helping setting up some kind of event.

/invite :P

Anthraxx
24-07-2009, 01:47 PM
How does a treasure hunt work exactly?

Navai
24-07-2009, 02:13 PM
My friend was gonna get me one of those models but then he said I was a loot whore and changed gear so much it wouldnt be worth it. I died a little inside.

Anyway the idea of a competition sounds really fun. I remember the gnome darts Jarelan used to do, tho I think you also did it with that little hole in the top of Shatt too? Or maybe that was just mine Strem and Pilchs sick game where Pilch would slow fall Strem and cause him to plummet into the middle of nowhere all the time.

Cheiftan
24-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Another idea could be a Best Video comp judged by the members here. Video should be wow-related but can be about absolutely anything. Depends perhaps partly on how many skilled video makers we have lurking around.

Best Photo? Not actually photos obviously, but screenshots. Boss kills or just random screenshots taken while playing that look awesome - could probably have seperate categories for this since boss kills are likely to display editing skills while normal shots would be more purely artistic. Again voted for by members of SSE.

RE. Treasure Hunts - I guess it can work in a number of ways. Either you send people to find certain items by killing mobs, or you have items waiting for people in places. For example if you did it live on the forums you can give people a riddle they need to solve which leads them to a certain place where a player (of each faction) is waiting for them. These people could then either give out another clue, or interact with the participants in some manner - ie. a duel. By beating the player maybe you receive an item of some sort that you need. Too elaborate? I don't know.

Jarelan
24-07-2009, 03:09 PM
My friend was gonna get me one of those models but then he said I was a loot whore and changed gear so much it wouldnt be worth it. I died a little inside.

Anyway the idea of a competition sounds really fun. I remember the gnome darts Jarelan used to do, tho I think you also did it with that little hole in the top of Shatt too? Or maybe that was just mine Strem and Pilchs sick game where Pilch would slow fall Strem and cause him to plummet into the middle of nowhere all the time.

Yeah I used to do it down the hole into the middle of Shattrath too, death from above as you're killed by a plummeting naked gnome!

Tyrannis
25-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Thats a good idea. Linky?

http://www.figureprints.com/

Turiel
25-07-2009, 12:35 PM
http://www.figureprints.com/

Cool, would people like this? Would you kill for it ?:P

Slicer
25-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I'd be embarassed to own it.

Turiel
27-07-2009, 09:26 AM
So, would people like wow-based prizes (merchandise etc), or something non-wow related?

Bunneh
27-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know what your budget is, so I apologise if I go overboard.

Tees are always a nice item to win, plus you can get winners to select the tee design they like and then get them made. Some may not want a huge 'I play WoW, throw bricks at me' design, so a selection would be nice. A selection of the latest games, say the top 10. Online shop vouchers so the winner/s can buy what they want (and it's cheap to mail, ie, feck all). Only a few ideas I had, rest were likely to be out of the budget.

imigrid
28-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Gief mana shots.
http://www.thegreenhousebermuda.com/eco/fd/mana/images/ManaBlue.jpg

Turiel
31-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Is this:
http://blizzcon.rayv.com/

Of interest as a prize?

Ashym
31-07-2009, 06:37 PM
To me at least, yes :P