View Full Version : PvP Glyph Poly or IV?

Ailith
13-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Should ding 80 today or tomorrow on my human mage (finally). With a 20/0/51 frost build, I'm slightly torn between two major glyphs as my final PvP Glyph. Leaving me with either

Glyph of Polymorph
Removes all damage over time effects on your polymorph target.

Glyph of Icy Veins
Removes all movement slowing and cast time slowing effects.

Wondering if anyone had preferences and why. I'd like the ability to polymorph any target without worrying whether they have dots or not. But the ability to remove various slowing effects is also fairly tempting.

I'm kinda leaning towards the polymorph glyph, but thought I'd ask if anyone had any reasons to their preference.

Adharc
13-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Veins is standard, go for Poly if you play with a lock or possibly priest.

Ailith
13-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I don't plan on playing with anything really. Just general play. I'm assuming Glyph of Poly also removes physical DoTs too (such as rend, garrotte, etc), if it doesn't then it's less useful.

I played with IV glyph at 70, but didn't find it hugely useful at the time. Initially it sounds great vs rogues, but in reality any class that can snare you will find it pretty easy to snare you again.

Adharc
13-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I don't plan on playing with anything really. Just general play. I'm assuming Glyph of Poly also removes physical DoTs too (such as rend, garrotte, etc), if it doesn't then it's less useful.

I played with IV glyph at 70, but didn't find it hugely useful at the time. Initially it sounds great vs rogues, but in reality any class that can snare you will find it pretty easy to snare you again.

From the little I've played, it's basically a free blink on a 3 minute cooldown. And yeah, it removes DoTs of all sorts.

Warlee
13-06-2009, 06:56 PM
IMO if you are playing pvp casual go for mana gem.

At first - icy veins spell has a long cooldown and, at least in my case, is frequently used for evocation or just dps. As it goes for removing effects - Im not so sure about it. Most of spells which slow you down have no cd - means if its caster fight you will have it anyway, if its melee - next time he hits you.
Mages for instance do quite cool against rogues so there, again isnt much point for this. Perhaps in some setups it can be really cool to use or simply there is just no point going for other glyph. But hey its up to you what you play.

At next - glyph of polymorph. Quite comfortable to use, no dot watching, simply imba to play when you are fire spec. Not much to explain there. Just one BUT. Doesnt YET work on 'spell reflect' spells. For example you fight against warrior druid warlock setup. You are fully doted, fake cast shatter on warrior, sheep yourself with his spell reflect. No dots, woo. Sounds cool? Blizzard didnt think of it... From what I know they will add removing dots by 'spell reflected sheep' as well so - another cool use.

If you dont play much arena in particular setups, I would go for mana gem or polymorph one. Its quite comfortable also for most of arena setups. Well.. you can always make dual spec with diff glyphs and same build and do what you like. :)

Warlee

Ailith
13-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah, dinged 80 a few hours ago. Been giving IV a try, but, don't ever really seem to need it to remove slows. Might be different in arena though.

Gunna give poly glyph a go when i log back, a fair few times some cc is broken due to dots from people spamming stuff without really thinking.

Thanks both.

Ailith
13-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Had enough honor to buy hateful gloves + shoulders. Should be able to get wg haste belt tomorrow.

Sylana's seriously pants atm, with 13k health, 900 spell power, 150 haste and around 300 resi :( Going to aim for 20k health, ~1900k spell power, 500 haste in a few weeks time. Hopefully she'll be a bit more of a monster then :)

Adharc
13-06-2009, 10:29 PM
~1900k spell power

Inc Furious Glad ;o

There was some discussion on AJ Mage section, general consensus was go spellpower for 2v2, haste for 3v3. From what I know you're more of a 2v2 person, so maybe keep that in mind a bit. :) It comes down to playstyle in the end, of course, but you could go for example haste offset and gem/enchant spellpower where possible.

Ailith
14-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Not stacking haste, but need around 500 haste to actually have a decent GCD and cast time. ~500 haste is fairly standard I think :)

But yeah, I do like Arena. I think I'm most likely to only do it casually though, so I'll be surprised if I break 1500 rating at any time simply cause not [m]any of my friends can pvp :)

Ailith
19-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Coming back to this thread a little, my PC was poorly earlier in the year then got steadily worse (WoW would basically crash every 5 minutes, or my PC would reboot) meaning I couldn't actually play nor do any instances at all :( It would start at like 90fps then slowly decline to 12fps then die.

I think I've figured what's wrong now, and going to have to replace my heatsink and fan. After a lot of playing around with my machine, I cleaned all my fans (CPU, GPU and Power Supply). I got it to a point where it ran at like 80-140fps constantly, but the machine would simply reboot after 20 minutes play (with no decline in fps). Looking inside my PC, I noticed the heatsink was wobbly. And I'm figuring that's what was wrong, removing the heatsink I see the clips on the bottom are gone. So I'll replace the heatsink at the end of the month and hopefully be able to actually play arena again!

I basically just played bg's for the entire season, as the instability of my machine made it fairly pointless for someone to play with me as I'd crash out of 80% of matches played. Also been very busy at work finishing our current project (working mostly 9.00am to ~01.00am + weekends the past few months). So hopefully back to pvp at the start of next month!

Anyway, I ended up going with the IV glyph. Which has ended up really useful. I'm currently playing as arcane, as I got a friend who doesn't really pvp to play arena with me (so I'm not losing them much when I crash). I tried frost with them to start with, but they seemed to work better with me as arcane (ie. I could solo 2v1 when needed). Sitting at 1850 spell power, 18.5k health, 650 resi, 350 haste. Though, once I can play properly that should go up some more. Already at the honor cap in time for next season.

Hoping to get to play an entire season properly :(

But, erm, actually saying what I came here to say. Yeah, IV worked way better. Though with a lock or DK partner, I may have used poly glyph.

fingers crossed, when I install the new heatsink I can be back in full force! :o

My DK's arena partner also disappeared about half way through the season, playing 10 games a week and steadily rising to 1500 (it's slow going with 10 games a week! holy crap) and haven't played since :(