View Full Version : Upgrade Time

Bunneh
14-05-2009, 07:15 PM
My PC is on its last legs, poor thing is clanking like a clanky thing. I am seriously out of the loop and have absolutely no idea what to look for these days. I hear Quad Core and duel core, and whilst it all sounds like a sexual adventure I have a feeling it's to do with processors.

I have around £200 to spend on a barebones system, there's a PCI-E card waiting, only a 256mb but it's a start and I don't need all the usual bullcrap you get with a package PC. So what the hell do I go for? I need the mainboard, relatively future proof so I can upgrade the CPU in a year or so. A new CPU, with around 2gb of memory plus, if possible, a new hard drive, nout too big just adequate for a handful of games and some music.

Tis about time I got my ass in gear and got myself sorted, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank yee.

Flawless
14-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Future proofing doesn't exist, there is always something coming in the next 6 months (at the most) that is better than currently available. £200 is really limiting your options, you would really need a new Motherboard, CPU RAM and probably a new HDD depending on the Motherboard as I doubt yours is a Sata

Faylin
15-05-2009, 11:25 AM
And probably casing + PSU aswell. 200 sounds a bit .... too cheap.

Slicer
15-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Buy a Dell.

Muffy
15-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Buy a Dell.

Can you actually get good descent cheap dells?

I want one when i get back from Oz prolly spend about £1,000 on a new tower, they go gaming machines?

Slicer
15-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Good and Dell in the same sentence? What the hell is going on?

Muffy
15-05-2009, 12:11 PM

lol. Recommend then Mr Slicer.

Über
15-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Buy a Dell.

._.

Muffy
15-05-2009, 02:40 PM
._.

lol

Slicer
15-05-2009, 02:41 PM
In a less retarded response - £200 will get you just about nothing these days. I would spend more than that on a processor alone, but to try and get RAM, motherboard, hard drive and processor for that just isn't possible.

As to a 'gaming' machine in the region of a thousand, is this an entire machine or only certain components?

Faylin
15-05-2009, 02:48 PM

Dell's basic machines are actually pretty decent in my experience. But if you want anything more than the bare minimum, they soon become priceyer than their self-build counterparts, simply because the upgrades are overpriced.

Bunneh
15-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Cheers for the replies. The reason I'm going off around £200 is due to friends buying bare bones systems for less than that. I'm not after a monster, far from it, just something that will last me until the end of the year when I can buy a monster. I've also been looking at PC Zone (a UK PC mag) which I picked up from town earlier - this is their prices, I have yet to check around to validate and also check their availability.

Intel Core 2 Duo E2180 - £44

Asrock Conroe xfire ESata 2 m/board, £60, seems quite hard to track down.

WD HD Caviar 1600, £30

Memory - DDR2, still mooching about for prices.

PSU, good point - I hadn't checked on that. One I have is a 500Watt and it's lasted some years, but an upgrade is probably a good idea. I have a suitable case so that's no issue, so long as the mb fits, I will check that. I have checked ebay of late and found some 'bundles' which look like they may be suitable - ebay linky (http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/UK-Best-Deal-1000_bundle_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZUKQ2dBestQ2dD ealQ2d1000QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ715586979QQsofpZ 0) - again I do not know what I am looking at...

Thanks.

Flawless
15-05-2009, 04:26 PM
if you're going to buy another PC at the end of the year and your current can strech the 6 months then I see no reason why you should buy one now.

Goonerr
15-05-2009, 06:06 PM
hey Bunneh... i would recommend http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk/...

i wouldnt buy a dell because with cougar extreme you will get a professional build and more bang for your buck!!

Cougar Extreme are without a doubt one of the cheapest and best custom build companys in the UK... you can read the following link for some reviews http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=292815&forumid=2

They are (5 star) company and im extremely happy with my PC i got from them, i was going to build my own but after looking at there side it would turn out cheaper for me to buy one from them than to build my own.

Also i messed up with my memory option when i customised it and realised it 4 days after i placed my order, i called them and they fixed it with no questions asked, and very friendly support aswell, they also send you all the original CD's including the original Windows CD with license... unlike alot of other companys including Dell which dont like to send you the original windows CD but a crappy backup CD instead.

Slicer
15-05-2009, 06:39 PM
That sounds like such a bad advertisement.

If you can't put a PC together for cheaper than a company that's charging for manual labour then there's something seriously wrong.

Goonerr
15-05-2009, 06:47 PM
well i browsed several popular cheap websites for around 3 weeks... calculating and adding up bits and its was more expensive.... but if i ever need a new computer in the future i can get one for free since i work for ADP and ill just use dell hardware.

Flawless
15-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Building your own PC should always be cheaper than getting a pre-built one, otherwise just how the hell are they making a profit? There is never much diference in prices on parts between the good companies. Either that or they are shafting you on parts, shitty PSU, crappy mobo etc.

Faylin
15-05-2009, 10:21 PM
otherwise just how the hell are they making a profit?

Discounts cause they sell a LOT. They're also quite good at logistics.

Slicer
15-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Discounts cause they sell a LOT. They're also quite good at logistics.

... Because the big sellers like Scan don't sell a lot? That made no sense.

Firien
16-05-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm in pretty much the same boat as Bunneh right now, although I'm looking for a more complete upgrade. At the moment I'm browsing:

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/

For a possible upgrades for my ancient PC (they also just happen to be local to me, so I can go and kick butt if anything goes wrong :P)

Check under systems down the left hand side menu, they do a whole raft of different customisable pre-built systems, and they also have bare-bones DIY kits as well if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

I've bought plenty of stuff off them before by both mail order and in person, and they've always been helpful and prompt, worth a look anyway.

Bunneh
16-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Both of those sites look extremely promising, yes they go over my budget a little, but I can stretch to a little more in a couple of weeks. Ta :)

Kinshara
21-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Building your own PC should always be cheaper than getting a pre-built one, otherwise just how the hell are they making a profit? There is never much diference in prices on parts between the good companies. Either that or they are shafting you on parts, shitty PSU, crappy mobo etc.

Volume discounts, retail vs. oem pricing, bundling discounts... intel's especially bad for some of that (Atom + chipset == $25, but buying the Atom chip alone is $45. I suspect nVidia may launch their own antitrust lawsuit because of it).

The last machine I bought was a preassembled all-in-one, and it's been fine for me so far(~3 years). I will go back to building my own next time though, lack of customization/easy upgrades is annoying.