View Full Version : Modems, Routers... Recommendations?

Elexin
01-05-2009, 11:15 AM
'lo Tech Section.

I come seeking your advice!

I recently moved house, and although I'd hoped the new line would improve my connection it hasn't made a great deal of difference; the internet is faster when I have it, but I don't all that often.

At the moment I have a (rather old) D-Link G604T adsl modem / wireless router combo.

It doesn't matter whether theres one or three people using it, or what they're doing at the time... our connection spontaneously drops and won't work again until the wireless router is restarted.
It isn't overly consistant either - sometimes it will continue to load one website or forum thats already open, but not load any other sites until it restarts. Sometimes it will allow people to keep talking on msn but not to load any sites. Sometimes it will kick all but one person off the net, and its very rarely the same person either.
Most often it will just start giving page load errors and refuse to load anything for anyone until its restarted.

It needs restarting fairly often.

I tried connecting to it via cable but it made no difference. It still spontaneously dropped connection when, seemingly, it felt like it.

Its driving us mad, (and I want to play WoW again), so I want it fixed :P
I figure the best way is to buy a shiny new modem/wireless router/thing. It needs to be a wireless router so that everyone else can use it at the same time.

So. I'm seeking a new replacement, but looking up different routers isn't really telling me all that much, and I'm assuming the fact I'll also need it to have a modem in it will complicate things further.

I'm desperately seeking advice and recommendations - does anyone have any of either? :P

Turiel
02-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey,

Linksys WRT54GL is meant to be awesome. Heard from a lot of people who use it.

Azelton
02-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey,

Linksys WRT54GL is meant to be awesome. Heard from a lot of people who use it.

I've been using it for few years now and it is indeed quite awesome.
It is quite stable, only had some minor problems with it when I first got it, but nothing like what lex described.

Talsin
02-05-2009, 06:36 PM
im using a sitecom wl-308xr Gaming router, and its working perfectly, if set up normally i will also prio games/wow over torrents of your flatmates :P

Vegelus
02-05-2009, 09:54 PM
I've been using it for few years now and it is indeed quite awesome.
It is quite stable, only had some minor problems with it when I first got it, but nothing like what lex described.This could be Turiel's quote too.

While I'm a fan of Asus routers/modems. I think WL-600(whatever) series would interest you. I'm using WL-500g one (router only, with external adsl modem: more than ok; 600's series should be modem+router+wifi+usb in one, it's awesome. It's linux based, so you can use external firmware, just like with Linksys WRT54GL).

Goonerr
04-05-2009, 04:48 PM
im using a sitecom wl-308xr Gaming router, and its working perfectly, if set up normally i will also prio games/wow over torrents of your flatmates :P

what he said, im also using this router in combination with the Wireless 300N XR USB adapter

works very well but its a little bit steep in price, but i definatly do not regret my purchase