View Full Version : Heroic Tanking Stats?

Ailith
25-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Hiya,
My tauren feral druid dinged 80 on monday evening, whilst I mostly pvp. I thought I'd try some more pve this time. After a visit to the AH, my feral's current stats in bear form are:

Health: 22787
Armor: 28885 (65.47% reduction)
Expertise: 30 (164 Expertise rating)
Hit: 90
Crit Chance: 31.64%
Damage: 755-816
Dodge: 23.53%

I was wondering what kind of stats should I aim for before I begin tanking heroic instances (not raids yet). I especially have poor rings atm, but starting to level my JC skill next and will replace helm with titansteel from WG when I get the marks. But wondering on recommended stats to aim for, to tank non-raid heroics. I need to work on my +hit also.

My own, uneducated, estimate is:

Health 26-28k
Armor: 30-31k

Thanks

Saha
25-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Get hp up to 25k unbuffed, should be enough for all heroics if not complete shit group. Then go for dodge (via both agi and raiting). Some of heroic loots are very good, as well as some badger items. Do some 10/25 archavon runs, easy loot and a good start since you can use both pvp and pve stuff from there. Then head to 10 man naxx=P Easily possible to gear close to max during 2 weeks or so with some luck and dedication. After that its only minor upgrades/unlucky drops question. And obviously the pain of chanting/gemming everything=P

For comparison I'm at 35/35/36 more or less hp/armor/dodge in close to best available gear. Was at 34/33/33 after three weeks or so after dinging 80. Get latest Rawr (check on EJ) and simply pick where you're going according to what you need.

Edit: Ohh, and start gathering dps gear. ATM on PTR ferals are one of the best dps classes. Obviously will not last long but worth to have fun while it lasts.

Ailith
25-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Ahh, thanks Saha. I actually managed to offtank in VoA-10 last night, which wasn't by choice and I was fairly surprised I managed it (HP went upto 29k with Priest + Lock buffs), though I did tell them I didn't think I was geared for it but there was no-one else online. It went okay though.

I was planning on a 0/60/11 build for tanking (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0ZxGGsfrzceRIzuVo0E0z) I guess that's pretty close to what's expected?

Yeah, I use Rawr. But the bigger upgrades I'd like are from either JC (Should get Monarch Crab in a few days) or from heroics. So I was first aiming to get geared for heroics at the start.

Adharc
25-03-2009, 01:19 PM
You're good for heroics once you just buy a few things off AH and enchant them, not really hard, plus a lot of people are well-geared these days, so you can get carried ;p

Get Trollwoven crafts (~600-700g total), either of the cloaks (~200-300g), Savage head (a week of arena and 2-3 hours of BGs), Jormscale Footpads (~50-60g), if you've got money to spend, Titanium Earthguard Ring (~900-1100g), Chain Gang Leggings (~100-150g), the Halls of Lightning normal quest chest, the Stratholme normal quest gloves, enchant for stamina till you're at 29-30k ( feel more comfortable with 4-5k HP more than 2-4% extra dodge, but that's just a personal preference) and then replace gems/enchants for Agility and Dodge.

Run Heroic VH in between money grinds for staff, Heroic UK for expertise wrists, Heroic DTK for ring, Heroic Gundrak for leggings/gloves/ring (if any rogue/hunter comments about you rolling on them, slap them around a bit and say they're just as good for you, if not more).

First thing you buy from Heroism emblems is the neck. If you don't have BoJustice idol, get the one from Venture Bay (~20 minute time investment).

Buy the cheaper enchants (blue rare gems are 15-20g so meh) like 45 stamina on legs, 22 stamina on boots, 8 stats on chest. Can buy the PvP shoulder enchant for 10k honor if you've got nothing better or poor.

Spec is great, yeah.

Gearing ferals is pretty easy, with 2500g and around 12-14 heroic runs I've geared mine from 24k hp self buffed to 37-38k raid buffed, and 41% dodge. Only profession benefit I had was alchemy trinket, 75 stamina and 49 (?) dodge rating.

Just my 2 cents after playing a feral for a week and a half :P

Ailith
25-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Already have trollwoven shoulders + belt from when I dinged as well as cloak, along with hateful bracers with 40 stam enchant.

Already know what gear to get, just more curious about stats for tanking heroics to get them :)

Adharc
25-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Already have trollwoven shoulders + belt from when I dinged as well as cloak, along with hateful bracers with 40 stam enchant.

Already know what gear to get, just more curious about stats for tanking heroics to get them :)

You're good to go then.

Well .. 22.7k hp in bear is a bit low, might want to get 24-25k as a minimum. But get into heroic groups nonetheless, if they kick you out find another, H UK/VH/Nexus are way easy.

Ailith
25-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Well .. 22.7k hp in bear is a bit low, might want to get 24-25k as a minimum.

Yeah, was hoping titan helm from WG + enchants + gems, + leg enchant (already wearing chain gang legguards) would take me upto around 25k in health. Bit low on cash atm due to the items and enchants I bought, but was going to farm money and level JC\Mining until weekend.

But cheers, certainly VH is one of the instances I'd like to do fairly frequently :)

Saha
25-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I was planning on a 0/60/11 build for tanking (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0ZxGGsfrzceRIzuVo0E0z) I guess that's pretty close to what's expected?

If for pure tanking, get imp mangle/infected wounds instead of primal tenacity/king of the jungle. After patch you'll want 2 points in imp motw as well due to 2% stats. But I guess you want a mix of pvp/tanking spec=P