View Full Version : Elog & Nivellen WAR Discussion

elog
22-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Niv: You should try out WAR with the recent patches. PvE is mediocre but the PvP is great.

Nivellen
23-02-2009, 12:31 AM
I very much wanted to give it a shot. But when I learned that Mythic decided to stick with GOA as it's euro partner for WAR - well, it made me cross the "I'm not buying this game" imaginary line.

I think GOA was pretty shit at running euro DAoC, so I figured I'm not going to give them my money (for now, at least).

Instead I've decided to wait for a free trial and try the game then. I'm quite amazed one hasn't been made available yet - but at the same time happy I didn't drop the cash for a retail box (and I had numerous occasions to do so!).

Once the trial hits - I plan to check it out.

Turiel
23-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I very much wanted to give it a shot. But when I learned that Mythic decided to stick with GOA as it's euro partner for WAR - well, it made me cross the "I'm not buying this game" imaginary line.

I think GOA was pretty shit at running euro DAoC, so I figured I'm not going to give them my money (for now, at least).

Instead I've decided to wait for a free trial and try the game then. I'm quite amazed one hasn't been made available yet - but at the same time happy I didn't drop the cash for a retail box (and I had numerous occasions to do so!).

Once the trial hits - I plan to check it out.

I can personally vouch for the Goa WAR admin team :P

I think Elog probably agrees too that server problems are minimal.

elog
23-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I can personally vouch for the Goa WAR admin team :P

I think Elog probably agrees too that server problems are minimal.

This is off-topic but I will continue. They are doing a good job. Patches within 24hours of the US server updates and stable servers. So apart from that I rather read about updates on unofficial forums and the US website (since the EU website is just plain slow) the actual game is identical with the US ones (as opposed to DAOC where the EU servers were updated months after the US ones).

dantheman
23-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Get us a key then Turiel...

agx
23-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Niv: You should try out WAR with the recent patches. PvE is mediocre but the PvP is great.

Yes, roll a bright mage and you'll play like Quake god-mode-on :)

unbalanced game

elog
23-02-2009, 04:07 PM
In T4 (end-game PvP) I must say that the PvP is extremely balanced between order and destruction - even surprisingly balanced given that classes are quite different between the two sides. There are some classes that are slightly worse off than their mirror counterparts but then that is compensated by other classes on the same side. Most people complain about stupid things - and sometimes just because a class is harder to play well than another one (the absolutely best example is the Shadow warrior that is deemed bad - I would take a Shadow warrior into an order pre-made group any day if the player is good because they simply rock hard but is very much like Warlocks in vanilla WoW - play one in an medicore way and you will accomplish almost nothing, play one well and you will hit people stupidly hard).

To your example - pure DPS classes (such as the BW you mention - brightwizard) are extremely easy-mode until the end-game when the glass cannon part starts to shine. I do not know if you base it on T1 to T3 experience but with 40% resistance to elemental damage (mandatory as destruction in T4) and good health the BW is not what it was in the earlier tiers. It is a good class but much more fragile.

agx
23-02-2009, 05:17 PM
To your example - pure DPS classes (such as the BW you mention - brightwizard) are extremely easy-mode until the end-game when the glass cannon part starts to shine. I do not know if you base it on T1 to T3 experience but with 40% resistance to elemental damage (mandatory as destruction in T4) and good health the BW is not what it was in the earlier tiers. It is a good class but much more fragile.

I tried the beta and the resistance was turned off, even with resistance gear it didn't worked.

I got pissed off by the too many bugs and expecially the server crash when sieging cities when there are like 1.000 people onto the map.

Its an interesting games, indeed Blizzard stoled lots of features from it for WOTLK :-P
but perhaps the technical implementation isn't good as it deserverd.

Many people i know playing WAR have quitted, returned to wow or waiting for "Dark Fall" this/next month.

elog
23-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Just as a remark - I played the closed beta and at launch. Got annoyed at the release version (too many small things were not fixed) and stopped playing. Checked it out at Christmas again (so after the 1.1 patch) and found the game to be in a good shape.

Basically - 1.1 was a good release patch while 1.0 was not. I enjoy it alot at the moment.

Muffy
24-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm Currently playing WAR and i think its awesome...

The BG ( Scenario ) Q's could be a little shorter but apart from that its really good fun!

Cant decide if i want to play my Iron Breaker or my Shaman tho :/

What server you on elog?

elog
24-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Karak-Azgal. It is a great server. Destruction raided Altdorf last night and Order raided the Inevitable City a few days before that.

One of my best PvP memories came last week when 2 warbands of Order (48 players in total) set-out to lock Destruction up in Praag at the North keep (so that 2 other warbands could take south keep). We started attacking the North Keep and teared the first door down. There were at least 3 warbands of defenders (72 players) inside the inner keep. Just when we had entered the courtyard 3 more destruction warbands showed up and hit us from behind. We formed a tank wall where the door had stood in the outer wall while being shot like mad from the walls of the inner keep. For 5 minutes we kept them at bay (48 players vs. ~140) so that the South Keep could be taken. It was just a plain epic battle and the sense of satisfaction of holding that long (loads of coordination on vent so we did not hit the break point too fast) was simply immense.

Muffy
25-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I have a shaman on K-A but its rank 16.

Playing on DBM atm order.

In T2 we got 10 Successful keep caps in about 4 hours which was pretty fun! :)

Whisler
28-02-2009, 04:36 PM
I bought the game aswell and i love every minute so far.
Thanks for pointing it out tho even got that abit of that old AV feeling back.

just a tip try out emote /toast i love it :smt006

completly cured from WoW now no more grind fest \o/

Thanks again

dantheman
01-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Enjoying it so far. I'm nearly rank 9 now. Got an epic and a few blues from the player quests already!

Jurgan
01-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I has ze Game. And I guess, for Karak Azgal only, I shall be ze steeenky Order.

And I shall wait till the Slayers are in before playing. Which is Tuesday!

dantheman
01-03-2009, 03:39 PM
So where the hell is everyone? :/

elog
02-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Was on an alt this week-end and playing DoW2 (just had to finish it). Cya in-game :)

dantheman
02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Found myself topping the charts in scenarios on healing and damage done a few times. Up to rank 13 now and renown not too far behind that. Warrior Priest was a bit slow to start with and requires alot of hostile/friendly target juggling but it's rewarding when you get used to it.
Just need to turbo grind to 40 now so I can take part in the really fun stuff. See you later Elog!

dantheman
02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Also, responding to the earlier talk of balance between the 2 sides. I had a 10 min+ 1v1 fight with a Disciple until we both gave up and went back to the battle. Reminded me of Paladin vs Resto Druid duels. I ganked him in the middle of the battlefield though muhaha.

elog
02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
WPs are really one of the more interesting classes (and DoKs). I can see why a former Lock likes them - almost the same amount of abilities and min/maxing going on :)

Gruze
02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
WP is fun tiems. Mine only got to like 34 or something tho >_>

Jurgan
02-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Currently playing a Bright Wizard. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMNUKAGE and such.

Rank 7 and in Nordland doing bits and babs as well as Altdorf

Called Flayme. I know its a lame name sue me.

Nivellen
02-03-2009, 11:42 PM
How viable is it to level by PvP only?

From what I gather most efficient leveling will be a mix of PvE and PvP. I suppose PvE when you're a lowbie in your BG bracket and then concentrate on PvP when you start nearing the bracket cap?

I've got barely any Warhammer Online knowledge right now - forgive me. :p

Jurgan
03-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Well there's loads of quests in pvp zones which helps with the XP.

Also I forgotten how huge the cities are. Altdorf city is fecking massive.

Gruze
03-03-2009, 12:59 AM
How viable is it to level by PvP only?

From what I gather most efficient leveling will be a mix of PvE and PvP. I suppose PvE when you're a lowbie in your BG bracket and then concentrate on PvP when you start nearing the bracket cap?

I've got barely any Warhammer Online knowledge right now - forgive me. :p

You can level just by pvp, my tip is to get to like rank 5 or something then you can start rocking the scenarios, since you'll have some more stuff to throw at people.

dantheman
03-03-2009, 02:43 AM
I'm always queued for scenarios (like an instanced battleground) while doing quests so my renown rank is pretty close to my xp rank. Because you can join from anywhere, it seems the most efficient way to level.

Gruze
03-03-2009, 12:10 PM
^Aye it is. I just wish you could queue like that in WoW :(

dantheman
03-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Get it Niv!

elog
03-03-2009, 12:14 PM
You can easily rank up through PvP/scenarios. The only problem is in T3 - the equivalent to WoW's old 35-50 bracket - it takes time and you just want to get to the final zones. Hence, in T3 one can get that old grind feeling. On the other hand I really felt exactly the same in WoW - apart from Scarlet level 35 to 50 were boring and a tad tedious.

Gruze
03-03-2009, 01:16 PM
It makes getting to the last zones awesome tho Elog :P

Nivellen
05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Euro trial is out, leeching it.

dantheman
06-03-2009, 10:30 AM
\o/

Nivellen
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Trial finally downloaded, installed and working properly. Rolled a warrior priest by the name of Nivellen (oh, the joy - my name was available!) on Karak-Azgal. Some boring PvE at first, but my first battleground at level 4 (rank 4?) was lots of fun.

Did 3 battlegrounds so far (3x Nordenwatch, or whatever it's called) - didn't die once. My special cowardly healing tactic is working great. (:

Enjoying it!

Fithvael
09-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Do ya need the trial client if you have the proper one? I wouldnt mind a quick blast at low level nordenwatch for a week.

Nivellen
09-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Afaik it's exactly the same client. So a bogus trial account should be fine.

Nivellen
10-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Well, around 12 hours of fun fun play time - hit level 10 trial cap. All I can do with my warrior priest is endless tier 1 battlegrounds or tier 1 open rvr. Will probably buy the game in a couple days. (I hate you guys.. for adding this new time sink to my life - will try to do my best to stay casual though..)

Gonna check out some other classes in the coming days. I think I'll start with a destruction blackguard - met one and he proved to be more than I could eat.

If anyone is up for tier 1 BGs with my rank 10 WP just shout.

elog
10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Well, around 12 hours of fun fun play time - hit level 10 trial cap. All I can do with my warrior priest is endless tier 1 battlegrounds or tier 1 open rvr. Will probably buy the game in a couple days. (I hate you guys.. for adding this new time sink to my life - will try to do my best to stay casual though..)

Gonna check out some other classes in the coming days. I think I'll start with a destruction blackguard - met one and he proved to be more than I could eat.

If anyone is up for tier 1 BGs with my rank 10 WP just shout.

Cya in game Niv :) Did a search when I was at the Maw yesterday (failed fort siege - AE is crazy after the patch) but you were gone once I came out of combat.

During the beta I liked the hammerer the most so I will roll a Slayer to see how I find them - might do some T2 things together.

JeFF
10-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Any idea if it's still possible to move from a low population server to a higher populated one? Got my Black Orc to rank 20 at launch and would like to continue from that but I think the server I was on is pretty much dead.

dantheman
10-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Go Order.

Jurgan
11-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Gimmeh teh Slayer!

Thordyn
11-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Hmm.. When were the 'new' classes released?
You people are making me consider dusting off the old Warrior Priest.

elog
11-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Hmm.. When were the 'new' classes released?
You people are making me consider dusting off the old Warrior Priest.

They are released tonight for those that completed the Bitter Rivals event. In a week for everyone else, but for all practical purposes they are released tonight (yesterday night in the US).

Nivellen
12-03-2009, 12:40 AM
There's millions of choppas and slayers in the BGs... it's disgusting! Legions of midgets humping at my Blackguards legs. Though it's funny seeing 10+ choppas and slayers converge and form some kind of violent self-mixing jumping around salad just leaving a trail of dead bodies behind it.

Coven
05-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I stopped playing WoW several month before the release of WAR. Played WAR since the opening of the servers (brought the CE).

T1-T2 epic fun!
T3 - lots of new buttons to play with but getting a little repetitive.
T4 - Server imbalances really damaged the game and many (Destro esp.) have up until very early on and very recently been sticking to the lower tiers.

Classes are somewhat balanced, but Order has the edge. Recent "fixes" have hurt the game.

Iron Breakers, Warrior Priests and Bright Wizards are better, and in some cases way better than their mirrors.

LoS issues with Bright Wizards is why many Destro hate them. Jurgan, you fail for playing one! Get one alone and they crumple up like a little girl hit with a medicine ball, Get 2 or more together and they can take on warbands (almost literally).

Iron Breakers are by far the best tanks in game. Get 2 IB's together with Oathfriend and Guard on one another + vent and they become a wrecking ball for the Destro backlines. Great fun to play, totally imba tho (esp. with pocket healer knowing what they're doing).

For many T4 becomes an issue with keep take dynamics (very easy to defend, far tougher to attack) and the immense amount of CC which Mythic originally said they were looking to keep to a minimum. Knock backs a plenty!

There are few servers with comparative 50:50 city sieges. Frequent sieges are usually on servers with a heavy population imbalance. It would be relatively easy to fix, but no significant moves to this just yet. I personally feel Mythic is using these servers to test their content and stability.

Other than that, a beautifully rendered game with epic pvp when balanced. Great fun, great classes.

Not one for PvE carebears though, and certainly lacks the scale of WoW for things to do. PvP can get rotational and repetitive unfortunately after several months of playing.

Best way to level is through PvP for gear if nothing else. Sign for scenarios as soon as you roll your toon. Level 1-5 are turbo fast and you get lowbie PvP gear straight away.

PQ's are a great way to get decent gear when you're mid level for your tier. Use this to better your PvP survivability as you grind for the Influence PvP rewards.

I've played most of the Destro classes (bar the Delfs /spit) and all of the dwarf classes. Had a try at a BW and started 1 shotting mobs at level 1. never played that toon again.

Greenskinz rawks!

Most of my destro toons are on Karak Azgal, so I may well have crossed cleavas with some of you :P K-A is a very heavy Order population, despite them telling you otehrwise ;P

Just re-subbed to WoW due to T4 issues. Playing WAR v casual. Made a v small guild on Karak-Azgal called We'z Dead 'Urty. Just for the standards and the fact that so mnay guilds have rubbish Destro guild names!

Think my dwarves are on Karak-Norn. Not played there for a fair while now.