View Full Version : The future of Console MMO's ?

Goonerr
05-02-2009, 07:52 PM
I just been reading around on different sites regarding MMo's comming to the console, along with many people saying that PC gaming is just too expensive...

So would MMO's really work on Consoles? how would it work? and what do you think the pros and cons would be of MMO's on consoles?

They have allready bought out keyboards for the xbox 360, not sure about mice or PS3 eather, but the though of playing an MMO on a console is intriguing.

Some games developers have allready announced that they are, or plan to bring MMo's to the console, Codemasters, EA, Turbine and NCSoft and its also been "Speculated" that Blizzards "next-gen" mmo could be for the console aswell! it would make sence that they have totally dominated PC MMO with warcraft, they want to dominate console MMO aswell, they have the funds, exp and knowledge in MMO development!

Regicide
06-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Well Fable II could be considered an MMO, you can play with tons of other people (although I haven't playedi t myself so don't exactly know).

I could imagine it happening - it doesn't have to be like WoW, with 70 keybinds, just maybe a simple 3rd person shooter type game. Or something like the Unreal Tournament game design, it's like fighting in WoW but doable on an xbox pad.

Definitely good to see one though - communication may be a problem, only downside to it (then again, no trade channel spam so...)

Robinvi
06-02-2009, 01:53 AM
Age of Conan is still planned for X-Box 360, though there is little information about it someone in Funcom confirmed it to still be in "development" maybe a month ago.

Could work i guess.

Theory
06-02-2009, 05:44 AM
falling back again on huxley, what was the main thing why people where quite exited about is. It connects PC to Console so that simply means. PC VS PS3 VS 360.

hope they are still fixing that :)

Haplo
06-02-2009, 07:31 AM
FableII can be played as coop (xbox site says so...) so its merely a rpg then.
It will take a couple of years before the 1st good mmo will do good on a console i think.
I think its a different kind of gamer that buys a console or a pc to game on.
And the pc people tend to go more for the WoW type of games i think.

Gwynin
06-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Incoming one line statement :)

PC gaming is only expensive for stupid ppl

Alverion
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Final Fantasy 11 has been doing this for a number of years already, since 2004 if you were in the US. It's a moderately successful MMO so there is your poster child for console MMOs.

Proterra
06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't call Fable2 an mmo though, yes you can interact with people but I played the entire game and completed it without ever actually wanting to team up with anyone except Seth who only joined to see my studly male char dressed in a corset. It also annoyed the fuck out of me when some prepubescent little shit ran past screaming into his microphone every five minutes for someone to talk to him and give him money or help him kill something.

Ajial
06-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Circle of doom you could team up with people to do "instances" which was fun until someone stole the throwing knives you were after.. not that that ever happened to me.. ever

Nimbus
06-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Everquest Online Adventures for the PS2 was released in Feb 2003 and is a "true" (although a bit simplified) MMORPGer with a persistant world and still around 30,000 subscribers last time I heard.