View Full Version : Linux

Goonerr
20-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Im looking to install a version of Linux on my Laptop partition for programming and such, i have used Linux briefly on a work computer but i dont personally know which "Make"? of linux is the most widely respected... id appreciate if somebody could give me some idea of which ones are good.

Flawless
20-01-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/ probably your best bet if you have never used Linux before, debian and Fedora too

Goonerr
20-01-2009, 05:42 PM
thanks

Vegelus
20-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/get.php) is also worth trying - it's a live CD, but a lot faster than live Ubuntu. Works fine as one of the recovery tools too.

Evenara
20-01-2009, 08:35 PM
The only problem with Ubuntu from a learning Linux point of view is that it's perfectly possible to just use it from the gui without having to go much deeper than that. I learnt far more about Linux from one night of installing Gentoo than I did from two months of using Ubuntu.

Not that I'm saying Ubuntu is bad, it absolutely isn't and I use it far more than Gentoo because it's just well, easier, but if you're keen to get a decent grasp of what Linux is about, there are better choices.

Goonerr
20-01-2009, 08:50 PM
i cant connect to my wireless router to get on the network.... im sure i have used all the correct details it just doesnt wanna connect... really stumped :/ using Ubuntu

Just says "The Network Connection has been Disconnected"

Vegelus
20-01-2009, 08:57 PM
The only problem with Ubuntu from a learning Linux point of view is that it's perfectly possible to just use it from the gui without having to go much deeper than that. I learnt far more about Linux from one night of installing Gentoo than I did from two months of using Ubuntu.

Not that I'm saying Ubuntu is bad, it absolutely isn't and I use it far more than Gentoo because it's just well, easier, but if you're keen to get a decent grasp of what Linux is about, there are better choices.

That's why I'd start maybe from Debian, as it's between those two. While Debian is for geeks, Gentoo is for nerds (compiling, compiling, compiling... :P).
But when you have some knowledge about linux/hardware/some programming then Gentoo is fun thing to try.

@Gooner - got some other network card that you can use? Maybe some driver issue

Goonerr
20-01-2009, 09:08 PM
ya... cheers, i acctually just grabbed one of the many network cables out of my drawr and ran the cable direct to my router... cba with trying different network cards lol... and tbh ill probably get a better connection using a cable anyway.

Vegelus
20-01-2009, 09:34 PM
ya... cheers, i acctually just grabbed one of the many network cables out of my drawr and ran the cable direct to my router... cba with trying different network cards lol... and tbh ill probably get a better connection using a cable anyway.
Well, you've just used another network card. :P