View Full Version : Computer/Networking Problem

Scouserlol
19-01-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm on Virgin Media broadband. We had the old Cable Modem with a USB connection (which they no longer support) and this was linked into my Dads pc, my Dads pc was then linked to mine through the Network Cards (Ethernet Cable) and provided my machine with internet access.

As of last week, whenever I turned my machine on, the internet stayed on for 5 mins then it went off on BOTH machines.

If I didn't turn my machine on, it worked fine on my Dads all the time.

So they sent us a new cable modem with an Ethernet connection on it, I connected it to my Dads machine, it doesn't find the internet just constantly looking for an IP address.

If I connect the modem to my machine or the laptop via Ethernet, it works fine, find an IP Address and the internet works right away.

So, any ideas what the problem is?

The guy came out to "fix" it today and said it's an issue with the machine, possibly needs formatting to "reset the network stack" or maybe needs a new networking card (current on is onboard the mobo).

Any advice that will result in me not having to format the machine, I really cba!

Thanks!

Goonerr
19-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Try reinstalling your network driver.

Arthran
19-01-2009, 05:57 PM
get a router/switch. £30 max, plug modem into that, plug pc's into it. VIOLA!

:P

Scouserlol
19-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Same problem with the switch.

Alverion
19-01-2009, 07:38 PM
It's possible that your dads PC is still set up to connect through a USB device, so it's not even checking the ethernet port. Go to Control Panel and run the Network Setup Wizard on your Dads PC, it should give you an option to connect to the internet through a LAN, which should hopefully sort the issue.

Scouserlol
19-01-2009, 08:43 PM
It's trying to connect to the LAN, but it's just not finding an IP address and then just says Limited or No Connectivity.

Kryptonix
20-01-2009, 09:36 AM
I would still get a router anyway :P

Check on your Dad's PC that the connection is not default to the old USB one, remove all traces of the old connection settings in the Networks and Connections page.

Aside from all the usual cack that Virgin tell you to do, like turn everything off, unplug and wait 2 minutes, reboot then plug everything back in one by one... do this, reboot and reconnect everything as explained.

Ensure that at this stage you are only trying to get the web working on your dad's machine, so use the ethernet cable from the modem going to his machine only and check the cable connection to the modem. (and check the cable box on the wall too)

And then let me know how it goes.

Kinshara
20-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Are you using the same network cable to connect to the modem with both computers? (Thinking about crossover cables here, you need to make sure you're not using one)

Scouserlol
20-01-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a router, it gives the same result of not being able to find an ip address then limited or no network activity, this happens when the machine is connected to the modem directly also.

I've backed it all up and formatted it this morning, hoping that will do the trick, if it doesn't I'll cry :)

Llort
20-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Are you using the same network cable to connect to the modem with both computers? (Thinking about crossover cables here, you need to make sure you're not using one)

Most newer network interfaces these days have auto-switch over for that kind of stuff. So you nowadays hardly have to watch if it is a crossed or straight pair

Scouserlol
20-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Formatted the machine because it needed doing anyway.

Connected the modem direct to the machine, same result, eventually after looking for an IP for ages gets one with limited or no connectivity. Connected the modem to the switch, connected the switch to the machine, same result. The switch is working because another machine is connected to it fine.

Any advice?

Über
20-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Move out from your dad's place.

Llort
20-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I would let your dad buy a new PC for you, and you give your PC to him? fair trade ^_^

Scouserlol
20-01-2009, 05:55 PM
OK. Making progress. But not quite there yet.

It seems that the ethernet cable from the switch to my Dads machine was a Cross Over, I've replaced that with a Straight Through cable and it now works. My Dads machine is now connected to the internet.

Problem: My machine, which is connected to the switch via a cross over cable is now only connecting locally, not to the internet!

*nerd rage*

So I'm assuming I need to connect my machine to the switch with a straight through cable also.

Vegelus
20-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Yup.

Scouserlol
21-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Swapped the Switch for a Belkin Cable Modem Router... job done lol!