View Full Version : Reviews on Windows 7

Goonerr
16-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I would like to know what any of you think about Windows 7 so far, i have been using it and i like it alot, i think the final release will be a much bigger hit than Vista was... it seems to be alot more better to use and i like the look and feel of it...

running on 2 gig, 2.2ghz. and it runs smoothly although my PC is 5 years old, so im happy with that...

anyone else have any opinion?

Arthran
16-01-2009, 08:02 PM
cant get it to work on a virtual machine for love nor money, later in the week im going to run an upgrade on my vista ultimate x64 and see how it handles

Regicide
16-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Not going to risk losing or damaging anything on this pc, so will probably not get the beta. Would've hoped this could've been released as a new service pack or something - we deserve a bit of a refund after vista anyway.

Goonerr
16-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Not going to risk losing or damaging anything on this pc, so will probably not get the beta. Would've hoped this could've been released as a new service pack or something - we deserve a bit of a refund after vista anyway.

not really, especially after the 100's of reviews warning people Vista was a load of crap, people still went and bought it, they should have listened to the majority and read up about it, maybe doing some research before spending your money is a good idea.

and yes, maybe it isnt a TOTAL diasaster... But i still know a lot of Friends and IT Professionals that think its a load of bull.

Gumdrops
16-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I thought you were never coming back here?

Goonerr
17-01-2009, 12:01 AM
I thought you were never coming back here?

were did i say that? :D

Arthran
17-01-2009, 09:00 AM
But i still know a lot of Friends and IT Professionals that think its a load of bull.

see i work in IT support, i work with people similarly minded, hate vista with a passion. Personally i wont go back to XP ever if i can help it. Vista was far from perfect, but its alot lot better than most people make out. True the difference between home and enterprise/ultimate is amazing, ent/ult run 4 times faster, seem to have much better memory management and are very stable.

From all reports Windows 7 runs faster than Xp on the same hardware, blows vista out of the water in performance but still has the vista looks. (improved ofc)

soulshift
17-01-2009, 09:15 AM
not really, especially after the 100's of reviews warning people Vista was a load of crap, people still went and bought it, they should have listened to the majority and read up about it, maybe doing some research before spending your money is a good idea.

and yes, maybe it isnt a TOTAL diasaster... But i still know a lot of Friends and IT Professionals that think its a load of bull.

Vista is fine. Wasn't there some Microsoft plan in which they asked Vista haters why they hated their Vista version and then showed them the new project called "Mojave" or so. 90% gave positive feedback about it just to hear that it's actually just a normal Vista version.

Sure, Vista isn't perfect but the majority of the haters have no clue why they even hate it. Listening to the majority isn't always the way to go, especially when it's "cool" to hate Windows/Microsoft.

Firien
17-01-2009, 10:04 AM
see i work in IT support, i work with people similarly minded, hate vista with a passion. Personally i wont go back to XP ever if i can help it. Vista was far from perfect, but its alot lot better than most people make out. True the difference between home and enterprise/ultimate is amazing, ent/ult run 4 times faster, seem to have much better memory management and are very stable.

From all reports Windows 7 runs faster than Xp on the same hardware, blows vista out of the water in performance but still has the vista looks. (improved ofc)

I'm looking into doing a complete PC upgrade soonish with any luck, and have stuck with XP up to now. I'll have to consider this as an upgrade option when it comes along I guess, as I've been avoiding Vista so far after hearing all sorts of nightmare stories about it.

Ajial
17-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I've been running Vista 64 bit for about 6 months now and have had very few problems with it. Sure I have to check some older hardware before I buy it to make sure it either comes working with vista or there are vista drivers around but on the whole i've had no problems with vista, hell i dont think its even crashed more then the odd time (and in my line of work I push the machine to its limits on more then the odd occasion.

I actually had a friend who was a vista hater, when asking him why he hated vista his reponse was always "its crap". I think maybe vista was bad to begin with, and some people just dont like being wrong. As i've said from my own personal experience i've had no problems with vista, but i will be upgrading to windows 7 when it's released just because alot of programs I use are very quick to fully supprt the new operating system.

Borwin
17-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Everyone have always "hated" microsoft operating systems. When you got something to blame and rack down on, it makes you feel better.

How many times did I have to reinstall XP because of fucked up drivers? A LOT. Every OS released by microsoft have had more stability than the former (except windows ME - lol).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85p7JZXNy8

Flawless
17-01-2009, 03:02 PM
MS should never of rushed Vista out the door, but its not a great OS either, nor is it the worst. Lack of driver support too for Vista was another major headache.

As for Windows 7, all signs point to it looking good however, I've heard that between this beta and its final release all that is going to happen is bug fixes. :G

Goonerr
17-01-2009, 03:27 PM
i must admit, i also like the originality of the name... i dont like all that vista... name bullshit... windows 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10... does me fine.

Slicer
17-01-2009, 05:27 PM
I thought you were never coming back here?were did i say that? :D

We all hoped...

Goonerr
17-01-2009, 07:58 PM
We all hoped...

ok

Gwynin
18-01-2009, 02:23 PM
This is SSE News bringing you a Vista report from the frontline that is the complaint department.

"Vista fucking sucks cos my 3 year old shit doesnt work on it, I cant find drivers anywhere. Vista is the shit in a bad way"

Learn to bloody upgrade your hardware

Flawless
19-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Is that to me? My hardware is fine thanks, don't deny the fact that when vista came out it took forever for companies to get their shit into gear and get good drivers out for it. It didn't exactly help vista's image when people couldn't get their hardware working or working well.

I'd also like to add I've been using Vista 64bit home permium for over a year with 0 problems I didn't cause, but its still a bloated with crap.

Gwynin
19-01-2009, 01:49 AM
Wasnt aimed at you tbh, just a general shot at most Vista complainers...

Drivers isnt really M$'s problem, its the problem of the hardware manufactors. And those whining about lack of drivers nowadays, are indeed the silly ppl who think 2+ years old hardware should be fully supported. As I said Ive been in the frontlines of Vista complaints with a major pc maker for years, and in 90% of the times the issues can be cooked down to old and obsolete hardware.

Windows is always bloated thats a fact every more 'hardcore' windows user knows, its all about knowing how to setup your machine proberly. Which ofcos is something that the masses dont know how to do, and they are the vocal complaining voice since it isnt you or me.

Oh and just for funz, Im the one guy in the whole world who loved my WinME ;)

Ajial
19-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I have to say, all of the big name hardware I use *cough* wacom cintiq *cough* had their shit in gear pretty damn fast. Digital cameras/high end printers ect all had working vista drivers (32/64 bit) within weeks as well, so really you can't blame microsoft as if some could do it why not others? My guess is they decided alot of people wouldn't upgrade and therefore they didn't need to. The memory hogging vista does? I run 8 gb ram so it's pretty much obsolete, sure a few programs I use could have done with it freeing up but nothing show stoppong really (although I did give vista a heart attack trying to open up an 8 odd gig file in photoshop).

I think it will be different with windows 7. 1 afaik vista drivers work 2. I dont think they'll make the mistake again. Most people I know are upgrading to 7 when it comes out because they've tried it in beta and say it's worth it. I mean its faster which for me is a big plus, I spend 100s if not into the 1000s a year upgrading my pc for that VERY reason.

And Gwyn, you are totally right but within a few weeks there are always the "10 simple ways to speed up Windows *bleh*" ;) Im lucky that I know lots of tech people around me that can come do it for me :P

Llort
19-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I am lucky that I am such a tech person myself.

Anyway, about driver problems. If you use special drivers for special programs that are made by huge companies for other huge companies (I am speaking of Altera and Xilinx here (http://www.altera.com/ http://www.xilinx.com/ ) ).

They ahven't updated their drivers for windows vista (x64) because they make their software for huge companies of whom they expect not to upgrade to vista. Hell any huge companie that does other thnigs but administration should be well, spanked :P

I am not saying vista is bad. I've been running vista on this computer since it came out. Not ever had to reinstall. Only saw a few BSOD's with bad games and when my memory went corrupt (faulty bank).

But for a big company upgrading to vista is a no-go. It costs too much money without ANY benefit for them.

Therefor those companys that make software/hardware for such companies hardly have upgraded their drivers/software for vista.

I do hope that with windows 7 they actually will update their drivers. Because I don't like to have the hardware plugged in to my laptop (windows xp) and use the hardware via a remote device that the software supports (one local computer with hardware, and then many other computers can use that hardware, works like a charm, I must say).

TLDR version
Vista is not really bad, other companies just haven't updated their drivers. I do am looking forward to windows7 along with the hope that such companies now will update their drivers.

Oh, also, there is still no driver for a sweex usb-2-serial port converter. But using another firms driver worked :P

Kryptonix
19-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I have dowwnloaded the beta and it's yet to be installed. I have a laptop that's ~3.5 years old, so need to make a partition and stuff and see if I can get it to run.

Vegelus
19-01-2009, 03:43 PM
And those whining about lack of drivers nowadays, are indeed the silly ppl who think 2+ years old hardware should be fully supported.
And why that hardware shouldn't be fully supported? Hardware that is about 3 years old is still accepted as usable (mostly because 3y hardware almost always is low-end spec that STILL has it's warranty - that lasts 3 to 5 years at this moment). So I don't see any reason why big companies shouldn't make drivers for that type of hardware.
And no, I'm not talking about making XP drivers for Tseng4000 (for example).

Goonerr
19-01-2009, 05:10 PM
And why that hardware shouldn't be fully supported? Hardware that is about 3 years old is still accepted as usable (mostly because 3y hardware almost always is low-end spec that STILL has it's warranty - that lasts 3 to 5 years at this moment). So I don't see any reason why big companies shouldn't make drivers for that type of hardware.

indeed, im studying for my MCSE qualification and we have to learn about old hardware aswell... which you think is pointless but some companys may still use hardware which is old, and YOU, being the MCSE qualified guy has to know whats wrong and how to fix it when something messes up, so i totally agree with Vegelus

Gwynin
19-01-2009, 05:23 PM

Its called being a buisness and making money, using development and research funds for 3 year old hardware isnt good buisness. I dont care about whether its good service or not, service isnt the point in such cases since its about profit.

And to be fair most old hardware does work with the build-in drivers that Vista provides, you might not get full functionality but it will work.

Specially designed hardware for special needs are ofcos the exception, but its an irellevant one since ppl who use that software wont be upgrading their OS (and if they do Im pretty sure it was against the IT departments advice).

It doesnt matter if the hardware in question works and is still 'acceptable' useable, the 2+ year old hardware was made with XP/2k in mind and if you use it outside that you're working beyond the hardwares specifications.

Flawless
19-01-2009, 05:51 PM
People have windows 7 running on Netbooks, just to throw it out htere.

Arthran
19-01-2009, 05:56 PM
win 7 can run on xp standard machines. Sure microsoft say 1gig ram min, but it runs fine on 512 from the rumours i've heard a floating.

i've had to dump my win 7 testing to focus on one of my bigger projects unfortunately. More win 7 feedback wanted tho

Ajial
19-01-2009, 06:21 PM
win 7 can run on xp standard machines. Sure microsoft say 1gig ram min, but it runs fine on 512 from the rumours i've heard a floating.

i've had to dump my win 7 testing to focus on one of my bigger projects unfortunately. More win 7 feedback wanted tho

World domination?!

Alverion
19-01-2009, 07:28 PM

I can confirm this. It's Vista with a larger toolkits and some pockets with useless crap in it, so more of the same really (except shinier and somewhat faster)

Vegelus
19-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Its called being a buisness and making money, using development and research funds for 3 year old hardware isnt good buisness. I dont care about whether its good service or not, service isnt the point in such cases since its about profit.
Yea, but still - company that cares about sales cares about support too. It was possible to get drivers for old hardware for XP so it was doable to do the same with Vista ;).

And to be fair most old hardware does work with the build-in drivers that Vista provides, you might not get full functionality but it will work.
And how do you think - who did those? Microsoft? Oh yea, like it's possible. Sure, they probably did some parts of them, but not without help from manufacturers.

Specially designed hardware for special needs are ofcos the exception, but its an irellevant one since ppl who use that software wont be upgrading their OS (and if they do Im pretty sure it was against the IT departments advice).
I'm talking about common hardware - typical sfx, gpu, chipsets, etc - things that people are using all the time.

It doesnt matter if the hardware in question works and is still 'acceptable' useable, the 2+ year old hardware was made with XP/2k in mind and if you use it outside that you're working beyond the hardwares specifications.
Erm, not exacly, as new hardware is always beyond OS' specification at some point of time. Be it USB/Firewire from very old examples (Win'98), USB 2.0 and a lot of chipsets (XP SP1).

Still all this is a moot talk. Someone did a mistake with Vista. Some of the above comments say that they learned something from that.

soulshift
19-01-2009, 11:56 PM

Because most companies don't migrate to a new OS the second it launches due to bugs/security holes/costs/teaching people how to use it/getting new applications that work with the new OS and so on?

And considering Vista got flamed to hell before it was even released and even worse when it actually was out there, I doubt any big company was like "Oh we need to release drivers for when a big company migrates to vista!". Most companies I visited this year for my studies and internship were quite happy with XP. Only some personal laptops had Vista.

And how do you think - who did those? Microsoft? Oh yea, like it's possible. Sure, they probably did some parts of them, but not without help from manufacturers.

Standard drivers are easy to make. Making drivers that work entirely and allow every function of the device is a bit different. Hence drivers from the companies themselves are generally better. Sure, they get help from hardware manufacturers too, due to it making hardware sell easier if they can say it has drivers for the newest windows and works fine with it.

indeed, im studying for my MCSE qualification and we have to learn about old hardware aswell... which you think is pointless but some companys may still use hardware which is old, and YOU, being the MCSE qualified guy has to know whats wrong and how to fix it when something messes up, so i totally agree with Vegelus

I don't see how that fits together with what he said? As a MCSE you need to learn about old hardware, entirely true. Fact is that it's not Microsoft's duty to go make drivers for things they do not own. Then they provide another company's service. This isn't about what you need to learn as a MCSE or what old hardware knowledge you might have. This is about business and making money. Microsoft did not sell you your printer, your video card, your RAM, your CPU or anything.

For ATI drivers, for example, you go to the support site of ATI and not microsoft.com. Why? Because Microsoft didn't make your card. They can do their best to make a standard driver that works for most cards, but they'll never be as good as the ones from the manufacturer's themselves.

About windows 7 itself, downloaded it today and will install it tomorrow if I've got time. Currently got the flu and all so doubt I do. ><

Edit: My point in my post is, the reason people hate Vista is the global hatred against it while 90% of the people had no clue about why they had to hate it. This caused companies to lose faith in vista and thus not bothering with new drivers as fast as they did for example with XP. It's all about money. The less they have to spend on you and the more you pay, the better a customer you are.