View Full Version : Mobo and PSU compatiblility

Bunneh
10-01-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm a bit of a dullard when it comes to PCs, no, really. I can build one okay, it's just like Lego but when it comes to techincal shizzle I'm lost.

I recently acquired a 700watt PSU linked below

http://www.xcase.co.uk/p/289105/x-power-700-watt-psu---204-2-x-6-pin-pci-e-sata-8-pin-.html

My motherboard is an Abit NF7-S, again linked below.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=NF7-S&fMTYPE=Socket+A

The PSU was given to me for nout but I am assured it works, yet when I plug it in, with much effort I might add, and power up, I get a second of activity and then nout. The board light is on, so it has power but I'm suspecting my mobo can't handle the PSU and the PSU is cutting out to prevent problems (explosions...).

I really haven't got a clue what stats to look at, how to match this and that, so I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than my bonce, can shed some light on the issue. I am aware that the PSU is PCI-E compatible but I have been told it should work fine with an AGP board.

*edit* Just to add, I have a 500watt PSU already in and I'm having no problems. Just got given this PSU and wanted to try it for when I get an upgrade.

Thank yee.

SoniqBoom
11-01-2009, 12:28 AM
if its cutting out just a few seconds after hitting the power switch then Im afraid the PSU is probably dead :(
I had exact same issue when my PSU went kapput, same thing happened to my sons..

Flawless
11-01-2009, 01:29 AM
If you're upgrading your PC (or doing a new build) get a decent PSU anyway.

Bunneh
13-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for thr replies.

Seems you may be right about the PSU. I ran it through some other boards I had lying about and it still cuts out. My brother has only had it 12 months so I was hoping to get it replaced under warrenty but I just cannot find the manufacturers. Seems odd a PSU would cost 80 and blow up so easily.

I have a SXS PSU in my system atm, 500 Watt. It's been in for around 4 years and I have never had any problems with it.

Okies, thanks for the help.