View Full Version : Wintergrasp

Talsin
05-01-2009, 08:13 AM
So now that its been up a for a while, and it allows us to reach out and touch all the familiar faces of the server again, what are the opinions on this, so far i have to say i like it overall and have seen some pretty good fighting going on.
hows the experience of it on the other side of the fence?

Fnurgle
05-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Uh. It lags?

Metakerk
05-01-2009, 10:29 AM
It's happy funtiems, except when there's a bunch of ... on, which happens often, on alliance side.

Aggression
05-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't know all tactics for it. But the not defending side, they have towers and shit. What are their purpose? I mean, there are very few fights around those spots.

I remember being in WG once when we were defending, and we won before timer reached zero. Maybe towers and workshops was tagged/destroyed? Is that a way to win if you are defending?

Overall, sure it's ok. But can improve in many ways. And the NPC's around, are they only there to "lol" at? Cant say they are guarding any good. :) Anyone can kill them pretty easy.

Proterra
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I disagree, if i'm standng there healing and noone beats on an elite npc they come to me and I only have one root option, turns into a bit of a pain to heal myself from them and hope someone catches on and helps me. They hurt me enough to be a nuisance.

As for the towers I believe if the defenders take vehicles down and destroy verythiing they can win that way but I don't think it's the intention of the game-it was perhaps added as a last minute 'Okay well if no alliance join and horde defend they have to wait 30 minutes doing nothing so let's add this', tis a bit silly though. I'm getting sick of the lag though, I suffer badly loading into Dala or outside Naxx and 4 raid groups worth of people in one area hurts ._.

Stabstalker
05-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Kinda hilarious when when people try to ram people to death with demo & siege tanks, specially when defending.

Legendary people)))

Gruze
05-01-2009, 05:44 PM
^ You did that didn't you ? ;/

Hezael
05-01-2009, 06:06 PM
i dont like wg. not one bit. was fun for the first 3 times i was there but now its like av, boring as hell. all ive got from it is a fucking lag on the zones near it. shove it in to its own instance from ruining my dailies/farming.

Phanthastic
05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
It lags. Maybe i need better pc :P

Offtopic: Who was the genius at blizz who made the naxx summoning/entry area? Cant see shit when people are mounted...

Proterra
05-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I liked the part where that rogue asked me to heal his tank as it was getting low on health.

:|

Evilstein
05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Come on, Pwot, you know better than this!

Names or it didn't happen! :D

Alverion
05-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Stabstalker

Vegelus
05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
It's better than Halaa/Grizzly Hills/Zanga/Terokkar as there are people.

Fnurgle
05-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Better than sandlol?

soulshift
06-01-2009, 03:52 AM
I'm loving WG. Haven't done it too often but I made a game off it to see how often I can sneak in and grab the relic. Pity Ashborn and Semidolare(spelling) seem to catch me at times. I love fighting vs old friends that went Horde and old familiar faces in PvP.
It makes me miss the old days before the cross realm battleground. :(

Scouserlol
06-01-2009, 09:52 AM
It's fun, but can it really be classed as PVP?

Adharc
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2ymvqfk.jpg

Yes.

PS I'm awesome at MS Paint.

Saha
06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
It was awesome until 139873465 people started showing up. Best games were in early WotLK when both sides scrapped around 40 people. Too bad the good fun lasted only couple weeks. Blizz overall seems to have made a lot of mistakes lag wise in WotLK. Which is a bit odd after their perfect decision making with Shattrath city dividing all in two far away groups (aldor/scry). Now we have tiny Dalaran, awesome lag in WG when final doors are down, Naxx entrance and to put cherry on the pie - raid zones lag due to "unexpected" amount of people raiding. I mean hello, you make loot pinatas for casuals- introduce 10 man raids with bosses who drop dead as soon as someone farts. Kinda obvious you'll be getting a huge increase of people doing that, get extra servers. Was obvious during last 2 months of TBC with SWP nerf already.

Proterra
06-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I'm loving WG. Haven't done it too often but I made a game off it to see how often I can sneak in and grab the relic. Pity Ashborn and Semidolare(spelling) seem to catch me at times. I love fighting vs old friends that went Horde and old familiar faces in PvP.
It makes me miss the old days before the cross realm battleground. :(

hahahahhahahaha you're amrun? i had no idea! i wouldn't have mocked you so much if i'd known ._.

the constant /hug /mock and /lol spam isn't doing wonders for your skills of mashing kitty buttons though. and killing me when i was /afk in wg base was also very skilled. you used to be cool :(

soulshift
06-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I never do /mock or /lol. 0.o

Edit: And how am I supposed to know you were afk? :P
If you're afking in a pvp area, it's your own fault. Don't whine about it.

Regicide
06-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I personally love it :) Apart from the Wrath and Hive premades ofc, but they've died down a bit anyway...

Like someone before said, it was brilliant with 40'ish people and how everything was new to you; but it's getting really stupid with the numbers now, I remember one time alliance having to have 4 raid groups up :o Lag is killing this game, and blizz need to sort it out. Fast.

To be honest with you now though, the good games are only when it's balanced (yeah, the type where the keep wall gets knocked down with 2 or 3 mins left, and everyone frantically tries to click the orb, managing to get it with 20 secs left)

I really would like to see the whole WG map being used in future though, which is what blizz said they intended (think I heard they're changing it a bit so we use more of the southern areas). Is it possible to destroy bridges aswell? read somewhere that that was possible - though it certainly isn't at the moment:confused:

Anyway, can't wait for the addition of new vehicles in this place; the only things I would love to see is no afk'ing, and people who listen :) Though I must admit, with 200 or whatever crazy number of people there are in WG, the chances of more people listening increases thankfully.

Flawless
06-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Amrun is a sic gaymar

I never do /mock or /lol. 0.o

Edit: And how am I supposed to know you were afk? :P
If you're afking in a pvp area, it's your own fault. Don't whine about it.

True that! and soulshift only mocks and lol's me. k? :|

Proterra
06-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Actually I was afk inside the fort that had repaired itself. Which meant you had waited inside and attacked when I was the only one there. I don't mind if you choose to get your hks that way but don't emote spam as if to brag how good you are ._.

Sahas points are 100% right, once again we just lost not because the alliance were skilled or coordinated but because we lagged so badly even hots couldn't be cast ¬_¬ (yet the other side always seems fine, why is that?) i miss the first days when it was few versus few and it wasn't down to the servers hamster dying that determined the winner

soulshift
06-01-2009, 06:23 PM
In all honesty, I must have logged in at that time and saw you infront of me. :p
And I do not spam emotes to "brag". I hug people I like. Even Ashborn while he beats my skull in with something. :<

Flawless
06-01-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't mind if you choose to get your hks that way but don't emote spam as if to brag how good you are ._.

Actually these days you have to have lól at the end of your name to brag how much of a good pvper you are

Ashborn
06-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Even Ashborn while he beats my skull in with. :<

Don't worry, that's just my way of showing affection. Or possibly hate. I get those mixed up sometimes.

Alverion
06-01-2009, 09:43 PM
(yet the other side always seems fine, why is that?)

Pretty much only an issue for defending sides, it's pretty hard to stop someone you can't see until after they've been lucky with their spike and got through and clicked the orb. I've only just recently come back to this and my first WG I had 4 siege tanks pop up right on top of me by the orb and we had already lost before I even knew they were there, fun times!

Kwinto
07-01-2009, 01:33 PM
BTW - Yo, Wrath! It was really nice mayhem yesterday at Wyrmrest, but you were lucky you escaped into instance when we got really angry :)

Regicide
07-01-2009, 03:06 PM
It isn't laggy for one side only - it's laggy for both (alliance have had 4-5 secs lag in both offense and defence, all you can see is general chat and people mindlessly spamming "lag", expecting the more they say something in the server the better it will get)

Regicide
07-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Another absolute bitch of a bug in WG which needs to get sorted out FAST is broken walls managing to super glue all the rubble together and rebuild itself to 100% - though it gets better; with the keep wall when there are 2 or so mins left, it becomes invulnerable and you're unable to enter - even though when looking at the wall's 'hp' it is dead. Has happened with horde and alliance defending - my guess is lag since it was lagging like hell when it happened.

Saha
07-01-2009, 06:03 PM
BTW - Yo, Wrath! It was really nice mayhem yesterday at Wyrmrest, but you were lucky you escaped into instance when we got really angry :)

Lucky you was you, otherwise no Sarth.

Chonar
07-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Lag? What is this lag you talk about?

That's a feature for the attacking party. It's all working as intended.

Aggression
08-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Some nice changes coming for Wintergrasp in 3.0.8.

*Vechicles, towers and walls HP INcreased
*Fortress Keep door HP DEcreased
*The Orb is now instantly clickable (I smell exploits inc)
*Wintergrasp Commendations can now also be purchased for the low low price of 9 *Wintergrasp Marks of Honor. Players can visit their respective Wintergrasp vendors and put those Marks of Honor to use!
*Elementals should now always despawn when the battle begins.
*Wintergrasp now extends further south so that more revenants can be reached.
*There are now three ranks in Wintergrasp: Recruit, Corporal, and First Lieutenant.
*Players will be eligible for participation rewards after two honorable kills.
*Players will receive increased honor with increased rank.
*Players will receive additional Marks of Honor at Corporal or higher rank.
*Players will receive corporal rank at 5 honorable kills instead of two.

Chonar
08-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Some nice changes coming for Wintergrasp in 3.0.8.

*Vechicles, towers and walls HP INcreased
*Fortress Keep door HP DEcreased
*The Orb is now instantly clickable (I smell exploits inc)

Haha, gg.

Proterra
08-01-2009, 12:54 PM
wat.

Legendfierce
08-01-2009, 04:36 PM
thats shit the epic battle was always inside the orb room =/

Proterra
08-01-2009, 04:56 PM
now you can just bomb it from the first wall breach with manned sieges then get a stealther to run in D: the match we defended our orb for about 10 mins and won was the best match i've seen

Saha
09-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Excellent solution to avoid upgrading servers. People don't bunch on orb = no lag.

Regicide
09-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Instantly clickable orb and keep wall hp decreased? wow that sucks - I'd much rather they solve the lag and not destroy the game than find a way around the lag and make WG easy now. Was always fun having that last frantic run, organising a demolisher charge to get people to click the orbs etc. For SoTA I can understand, but with 80-100 people (or even more) it's a joke for instantly clickable orb; I wouldn't even mind if they lowered the capturing time by a half. Though of course tower and wall hp increase may balance this out - in which case I could maybe understand; still liked the December games more though:)

Bleetman
10-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Ah, but if they destroy the game, less people will show up and it'll lag less. Problem solved!

Thinking outside the box, see.

Proterra
11-01-2009, 06:25 PM
I haven't had sound on in wow for a long time now, but i put it on to hear my cobra sing and realized the music in wg is surprisingly calm and beautiful o_o reminds me of the music in OOT hopping across ice floats but without the fear that you may fall in and have to restart it all over again.

Senex
12-01-2009, 07:52 AM
now you can just bomb it from the first wall breach with manned sieges then get a stealther to run in D:
Or just send a dozen stealthers armed with Goblin Thermal Sapper Charges straight in.

Talsin
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
so the age old tactics of throwing rogues at it till it dies becomes valid again. :)

Chonar
12-01-2009, 11:43 AM
so the age old tactics of throwing rogues at it till it dies becomes valid again. :)

Still an avid enthousiast of that one, here.

Naturzel
15-04-2009, 07:15 AM
I think they should focus on making the game instantly end when the timer hits 0. In SoTA as well, because there have been a few occassions, when the timer has been at nought, but a hordie has ran in and clicked the orb and won it. :(