View Full Version : Xbox 360 High Definition

Goonerr
29-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi all, im really reeeeeaaaallly confused about some stuff... basically my parents just bought me a new Sony Digital LCD with HDMI connection for my consoles... Xbox 360 so i went and searched for a HDMI cable but when i found one i read the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-360-HDMI-Cable/dp/B000VUVCK6

I have just replaced my old Xbox 360 Premium with a new HDMI Xbox 360 Premium and so needed an HDMI cable to make this work. The HDMI ports are only on any new Xbox 360 (since late October roughly) as well as Elite and Halo editions.

Any HDMI cable will work with your HDMI enabled Xbox, but this Xbox cable also has the extra audio output attachment if you want to send the sound through a separate amplifier.

So if you have an HDMI enabled Xbox and you want to route your sound through an amplifier, then this is the only cable for you, if however you just want to have sound through your TV then get a cheaper cable without the added audio output, as HDMI sends sound too.

To rate this cable low because it cant be attached to your Xbox is wrong. It's a good quality cable, so long as you have the right kit to plug it into.

Ummm???

and after reading this i checked out some pictures on yahoo images of xboxes and noticed on the back of some of the images is a BIG and little socket....

http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0zu4RKVlJxncAgJBWBQx./SIG=12ptcepi0/EXP=1230666385/**http%3A//digital-lifestyles.info/copy_images/xbox-360-elite-back-lg.jpg

my Xbox has the BIG one but not the little one, and im guessing the little one is for HDMI cable?? i dont understand about HDMI really but does this mean the Xbox i have.... the old shitty one which i forked out alot of cash for when it got released is not capable of playing games on my new HDMI TV in high definition???

please help this is bloody confusing, i dont know what cables i need or what cuz atm my xbox is rigged up to an old shitty TV which only scart socket.

Flawless
29-12-2008, 07:58 PM
HDMI makes things lookber

The problem with the old Xbox's is they didn't have an HDMI port (you see your scart will have 6 plugs on it) 3 of them are HDTV and 3 of them are for normal TV. HDMI port was only implemented in newer elite versions.

Even with a converter it won't do much (madcatz have a converter on the market that you plug into the big port that has an HDMI port on it).

Basically buy a converter of some sort

or

if you want true HD you'll need to get a new elite xbox360

Goonerr
29-12-2008, 08:04 PM
HDMI makes things lookber

The problem with the old Xbox's is they didn't have an HDMI port (you see your scart will have 6 plugs on it) 3 of them are HDTV and 3 of them are for normal TV. HDMI port was only implemented in newer elite versions.

Even with a converter it won't do much (madcatz have a converter on the market that you plug into the big port that has an HDMI port on it).

Basically buy a converter of some sort

or

if you want true HD you'll need to get a new elite xbox360

:/ ffs... what a rip off, i cant remember sony doing a stunt like this with the PS3... so unless i fork out another 100 od quid i wont be able to have true HD quality comming out my xbox? :( ffs this sucks ass bad... i might just go and buy a PS3

Flawless
29-12-2008, 08:07 PM
if you just bought the xbox you could return it and buy an elite, but yeah basically thats it. It'll still be upscaled with a converter but you know...

Goonerr
29-12-2008, 08:10 PM
thanks, ive had my xbox 360 since it first got released but kinda pissed off now tbh, might just buy a PS3 cuz they got blueray now which is suppose to be the best... and they dont have any crap red ring of death bolocks

Ajial
29-12-2008, 08:12 PM
thanks, ive had my xbox 360 since it first got released but kinda pissed off now tbh, might just buy a PS3 cuz they got blueray now which is suppose to be the best... and they dont have any crap red ring of death bolocks

PS3 are fine unless you intend to use it for gaming.

Flawless
29-12-2008, 08:14 PM
RRoD is a warning for hardware failure, original 360's where plauged with problems. Reasons for RRoD are alot less than originally, how you think a PS3 tell you shit I can't even boot up? :)

Goonerr
29-12-2008, 08:16 PM
PS3 are fine unless you intend to use it for gaming.

please explain why?? i would genuinly like to know what is better about Xbox360 over PS3.... cuz atm im really debating weather to buy a PS3... no stupid ring of death, blueray, free online... but i am definatly open to constructive criticism... fire away.

Goonerr
29-12-2008, 08:28 PM
stuff it... ill get a madcatz conversion kit... reading from alot of reviews on it people say there is no difference... guess its worth a try... thanks for the info flawless

Ajial
29-12-2008, 09:08 PM
please explain why?? i would genuinly like to know what is better about Xbox360 over PS3.... cuz atm im really debating weather to buy a PS3... no stupid ring of death, blueray, free online... but i am definatly open to constructive criticism... fire away.

Developers lost faith in the PS3 in terms of developing games. For all the jobs i've looked at less then 25% had any mention of creating new PS3 titles, so you'll just get ports. Most of the stuff is being made for XBOX/DS/PSP

Goonerr
29-12-2008, 09:14 PM
im guess im just a bit pissed off tbh that i had to purchase a 55 piece of hardware to play my games in HD on my HDMI tv... i just hope it all works properly

Taurusos
30-12-2008, 02:38 AM
matt, grilled chicken > xbox.

dantheman
30-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Also, sell the Sony and get a Samsung.

Arthran
30-12-2008, 11:25 AM
42" LG 3000 series TV
PS3
Sony Bravia HDMI 5.1 Surround sound set...

Sexytimes for movies, little warning to all about HDMI cables, pay a lil extra for a quality cable, unless the cable is 1.3b compatable your stuffed. I come from a world where a cable is a cable and they all work, this unfortunately isnt true for HDMI, chea HDMI cable and the PS3 would only go to 520i, plug in a quality Phillips cable and suddenly it will recognise full HD.

Llort
30-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Aye, cables are essential. We had the same problem with a subwoofer. We first used a normal speaker cable (length of 6mtrs) but there was always a very low(frequency) noise in the background which was very annoying. After buying a special shielded subwoofer cable 10euro/mtr the noise was gone -.o

Muffy
30-12-2008, 01:25 PM
I have a HD 360 and its not an elite.

It is only a few months old tho.

It also uses a RGB monitor connector thing. :D

Goonerr
30-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I have a HD 360 and its not an elite.

It is only a few months old tho.

It also uses a RGB monitor connector thing. :D

yea well what happened is the first xboxes microsoft released only have an AV socket... then during 2007 microsoft released them and elites with HDMI sockets :/

Sethanon
02-01-2009, 07:35 PM
using the elite with HDMI its sexy

Nivellen
02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
You'd think the point of consoles would be to make life easier for the consumer. No different hardware versions or hardware upgrades. Just one universal console and all games working on it. Instead you get multiple revisions and editions, at least in the case of the 360.

If the trend continues (which I doubt, but it would be funny) consoles will start becoming just like our regular old PCs.

Sethanon
02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
It is called marketing really, not everyone wanted HDMI and 120gb HD back then.
So they made a cheaper xbox that more people would buy and a xbox that has it all for people who don't care.
This is smart because this way you get alot more customers, Sony did not share this p.o.v. and was/is being arrogant and they are paying the price for that now.

(i like both consoles so in before OMGLAWLFANBOI)