View Full Version : Disc PvP Tips

Ailith
19-12-2008, 03:22 PM
So, playing some priest PvP over the past few weeks (in bg only so far). Have some things to note about playing it, wondered if anyone had any extra things to add.

Disc Priest PvP
Do not run around with fear ward on. It'll only get dispelled. I basically leave it unapplied except for when I think a fear is about to land. Then I hit my Fear Ward bind. For example, when fighting another priest I keep some distance between us while he dispels me up. It's fairly obvious when he's going to fear bomb me and I put up fear ward as he gets near (not too early or it will get dispelled, not too late or you will get feared).

I had a lot of practice with similar results in arena as a rogue, cloaking fear bombs (it won me a few games back then!).

Depending on who you're fighting, I like to get shadow word pain and devouring plague up early. As I'm likely to be too busy healing myself later.

However, against a rogue I will generally not put devouring plague until after he's used cloak. Otherwise, when he does cloak it gets removed and is still on cooldown. When a rogue cloaks, always try and get a shadow word pain on them when it drops. To prevent them restealthing for a while.

Mostly it's trying to get a fear in and then surviving until the second fear.

One thing I like to do is cast fear, wait about 1 second then start casting mind control. Many people will trinket right into mind control after a fear. Works much better than trying to mind control first.

Try to use shadow spells against mages. Pain suppression if they nova you (and you can't dispel it) or their mirror images come out. Try to fear their water elemental if they have one. Arcane mages can still hurt a ton.

You need to be able to sw death the first sheep. If you can get their poly on DR it's a significant advantage. Against mages I generally try to keep them dispelled with dot up and survive their damage. They will usually try to silence you when you reach around 30-40% health.

Against Ret pala's it's fairly important to keep yourself debuffed. They hit for a ton load more if they're buffed and have debuffs on you. Be ready with fear and mass dispel, preferably keeping the fear for after they've used their main bubble.

Disc Priest Macros
I currently have and use the following macros, if anyone has any more to add it'd be cool! Currently I'm writing this out from memory, so I'd recommend double checking the spell names in case I remembered some wrong.

Smite Macro - Smites target if it's hostile, if your targets friendly smites their target if it's hostile:

#showtooltip Smite
/cast [harm][target=targettarget,harm] Smite

Holy Fire - Same as the Smite macro, but for holy fire.
#showtooltip Holy Fire
/cast [harm][target=targettarget,harm] Holy Fire

I also do the same for shadow fiend. And should probably add one for mindblast and shadow word: pain too

Shadow Word : Death - Stops any casting and casts shadow word death on your target. If you're pressing shift at the same time, casts shadow word death on your focus target.

#showtooltip Shadow Word : Death
/stopcasting
/cast [modifier:shift,target=focus,exists,nodead][] Shadow Word: Death

I have dispel magic bound twice, once to shift + mouse wheel up and again to shift + mouse wheel down. Shift + mouse wheel up casts dispel magic on my target, shift + mouse wheel down casts it on myself:

#showtooltip Dispel Magic
/cast [target=player] Dispel Magic

Abolish Disease Macro - Casts abolish on your mouseover target if it exists and is friendly, otherwise casts it on your target if it's friendly, otherwise casts it on yourself

#showtooltip Abolish Disease
/cast [target=mouseover,exists,help,nodead][exists,help,nodead][target=player ] Abolish Disease

Power Infusion - If friendly target, casts it on them. Otherwise casts it on yourself.
#showtooltip Power Infusion
/cast [help][target=player] Power Infusion

I have similar macros for Pain Suppression and fear ward.

A lot of these macro's have a "if it's an enemy cast it on myself". You can also set a UI option in wow to do that automatically, but I like to be explicit for some reason.

Most of this is rambling whilst I'm bored at work (last day then off for two weeks!). Any tips or macro's to add? :) That's most I can think atm.

YuanTi
20-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Pvp as a priest is'nt much fun atm so i've avoided bg's most of the time since i hit 80.
How do you feel you do compared to other classes?
For me it feels like i'm dying the moment anything sees my way regardless of gear and skill.
Ofc i have mostly pve gear atm and i've gotten the crafted pvp set yet it still feels like utter crap..(wich the crafted set is anyway)
Have'nt tried as anything else then shadow so maybe it would be better as disc.
Probably gonna wait for the dual specc thingie to be implemented before i even bother with pvp since i find is so...hard / meaningless/annoying atm,atleast i can do instances as shadow without the damn respecc cost to annoy me at all times.

Ailith
21-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Hiya,
My personal experience (In Battlegrounds) is that priest needs *good* PVP gear to do anything other than poor in battlegrounds and my own input into the game is based more on the opponents gear rather than my own ability :( But I do expect it to get a little better with more gear.

For example, I upgraded to the PvP cloak and boots (The epic Hateful) and it immediately had a noticeable impact on my performance\lifetime etc. I still get killed fairly easy (good geared rogues are especially bursty), again depending on their gear but I do survive better for the most part. And hoping my lifetime increases as I gear up more.

Arena's have been somewhat more difficult, especially as I'm new as priest in pvp. There have been times where I've been gibbed through Pain Suppression like it wasn't there. It's also fairly difficult to judge when to PS myself, because health can sometimes drop from 95% to 10% in less than half a second which gives you no time to react. Again, I'm more optimistic that this will improve. However managed to break 1600 in both 3v3 and 2v2 so far, which I'm fairly happy with and didn't feel especially gimped. Just need more pvp gear I think (and hope).

But I'm finding battlegrounds fun atm, the current state of priests is pretty much all I know though. The profession made gear is awful though :(

I'm not well geared imho atm either, so that makes me optimistic for the future too. Currently at 17k health self buffed, 1600 spell power, ~320 resilience (with 2 piece level 70 glad gear, merciless hood and brutal gloves). Which means I have a long way to go still. I think 20k health, ~2k spell power, 800 resi will be fairly rocking :) As I'm also new at priest pvp I have a *lot* of self improvement to do, I move poorly, have poor placement selection and currently not great at keeping an eye on my teams health (which is especially bad for a priest!) so I'm fairly optimistic at the moment.

Ailith
21-12-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm currently running with the disc build 59/12/0:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVI0zIgtrescbotf0to

But once my unbuffed health increases, I intend to change to something more like 58/13/0:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVI0zIgtrcsibotf0tb

Still working on talent builds though.

YuanTi
30-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Hah,we just need more priests to play with and all of a sudden we're gods again:)