View Full Version : Death knight tank

Eliam
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
i have a Questin about Death knight tank. Any one here that can tell what gear is recomanted for a be tank. Is it strength gear (dps like) or is it Defens etc.

Malakali
06-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Parry.

lol.

Eliam
06-12-2008, 06:51 PM
err. that did not answer my questin !!!!

Flawless
06-12-2008, 06:58 PM
No you don't need defense at all, just DPS The fucker to tank it.

Atreyas
06-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Anything BUT shield block, seen alot of shield block DK's around >.>

Taurusos
06-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Anything BUT shield block, seen alot of shield block DK's around >.>

Idiot detected.

Might be for the fact that on certain tanking items, lo and fucking behold, Blizzard decided to put SB rating?

Tell me, if its cold outside mofo, and all you got to wear is a old raggedy granma jacket and thats all you CAN wear and you are forced outside, will you or will you not wear it and look raggedy rag but remain fucking warm?

Sup.

Malakali
06-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Tell me, if its cold outside mofo, and all you got to wear is a old raggedy granma jacket and thats all you CAN wear and you are forced outside, will you or will you not wear it and look raggedy rag but remain fucking warm?

I'd parry the coat away, in fairness.

Morilith
08-12-2008, 04:49 AM

...you pick up one of the 2397 available quest reward tanking items without a useless bullshit stat.

Gruze
08-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Hai Morreh!

Ashborn
08-12-2008, 12:24 PM
...you pick up one of the 2397 available quest reward tanking items without a useless bullshit stat.

This. I've only had to use one item with shield block on it, and that was a pre-80 quest reward from nexus or sumth and very much temporary. Pretty sure I would've had other options for that too if I coulda been arsed to check.

Alverion
08-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Ashen being lazy, omg no way

Ashborn
08-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Never happens.

Kabhanda
08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
its cos hes ghey lololol

Ashborn
08-12-2008, 06:14 PM
no u

oh wait

Morilith
08-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Hai Gruzeh

Eidriaen
09-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Stamina, def, parry, dodge, agi, str. Almost everything pallies and warriors use, apart from block. Go with as much def as possible, and for second stat - str. Stamina is always good, but most items with good def on it, also have good sta. Both parry and dodge have deminishing returns, which means you have a sorta cooldown each time you dodge or parry. Far as I know, block doesnt have DR.

25% of your str converts to parry, if I remember correctly. But I could be wrong on the numbers. If you are blood specced, you can increase your chance to "dodge spells" with your parry.

Frost spec seems to have higher spell resistance, but then again unholy has that anti magic zone and dodge increase. Blizzard did say that they planned for every spec to be able to tank, not just frost alone. I for instance am blood specced, but have just as high armor and hp as a frost specced + I heal myself.

I've also read that def will be especially hard for a DK to obtain, because they dont use shield. Which could mean that duel wielding two tanking one hands might be a good idea. But Im told that 2h should be prefered, have no idea why... Would love to see some theorycraft on it ;)

Eidriaen
09-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Also, Im bored... So I was clicking a bit on talents. If I were to respec to tank, I would probably go for this build (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jcxhoIh0oZ0gezIedMho0soZ0x):

From blood tree
- Each time you have blood runes on CD, you gain 10% parry. Which means you can use bloodstrike or another blood spell, and gain extra avoidance from it.
- chance of reducing spell dmg taken by 30% equal to your parry
- Rune tap! 20% hp every 30 secs
- Mark of blood - each hit gains 4% hp for 20 secs
- death strike/obliterate turns into death rune after being used, which is the same as any rune. combine that with the bloodtap spell(glyph it so you dont lose health) and you can spam frost runes more often.

Unholy tree
- 5% dodge

Frost tree
- 15% armor increase
- Lichborne - immune to charm, fear, sleep for 15 secs, increases chance to miss you by 25%
- +30 max runic power
- Reduced chance to hit you by 3%
- Unbreakable armor - +25% armor, +10% str, +5% parry for 20sec
- Acclimation - 30% chance to increases resistance from spell struck, stacks up to 3 times
- Frost strike - attack that cant be dodged,parried or blocked

Also have some increased crit and dmg in the frost tree, but these are the best tanking talents imo.

A fun thing about DK tanking is the Death Grip spell that pulls mob towards you, drop death and decay right after, and you gain both runic power and a lot of threat. Your taunt spell is also ranged if you havent noticed, which should make it a bit easier to gain aggro.

Also a good idea to use Chains of Ice often. It's basically a CC if you are observant enough to see when it runs out. Since you can use it over and over. I've kited elites higher than me when I was lvling by just using chains of ice, icy touch and death coil.

Hope it helps anyone... I'm bored at school :P

Edit:
Seems I also forgot to mention that you should probably go with the parry enchant. I used the duel wield talent points for increased hit. So two one hand tanking weapons + 2% parry on each.

Danzig
09-12-2008, 10:29 AM
As far as I know dualwield tanking will haste the boss attack after he parries wich he will do alot more when dualwielding compared to a 2 hander. I'm not 100% sure I understood this right but I read it on elitistjerk.

Eidriaen
09-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Yeah, you're right. Faster hits means you hit boss more often, hence increasing the chance of boss parrying and counterattacking you. Meaning you take more dmg than with a slow weapon. Probably why you should tank with a slow 1h too.

Just read it myself.

This also means haste rating isnt good for tanking

So.. made a new build :P
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jcxhoIh0oZMgxzIedMuo0soZ0x

Gyundor
09-12-2008, 11:18 AM
As far as I know dualwield tanking will haste the boss attack after he parries wich he will do alot more when dualwielding compared to a 2 hander. I'm not 100% sure I understood this right but I read it on elitistjerk.

Rune Strike
20 Runic Power Melee Range
Next melee
Requires Melee Weapon
Strike the target for 200% weapon damage plus [200 * AP * 10 / 10000]. Only usable after an attack is dodged or parried. Can't be dodged, blocked, or parried.

(Yes the tooltip is written badly but this can be used after the DK dodges or parries.)

Danzig
09-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Yea, runestrike is a valuble tool for tanking, but you can't keep it up 100% so alot of white hits will go through and haste the boss attacks.

Gyundor
09-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Yea, runestrike is a valuble tool for tanking, but you can't keep it up 100% so alot of white hits will go through and haste the boss attacks.

No, cause: A) thats assuming that all hits that do go through get parried.
B) with a 2.5 MH and ~60% avoidance raidbuffed nearly all of my MH hits are Rune Strikes.

As said in the other thread, I dont see any difference in damage incoming using DW.

Arthran
09-12-2008, 12:39 PM

actually the maths is that a DW dk hitting all his cooldowns will still do less attacks per second than a warrior tank, so parrygib is a huge myth

imigrid
16-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Just adding in that defense increases dodge and parry rating!

Kabhanda
16-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Just adding in that defense increases dodge and parry rating!

No

imigrid
16-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I blame elitistjerks -.-

Gotta learn2not trust them.

Sinius
16-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Basics about DK and defense:

1 defense rating adds:
0.01% miss
0.01% dodge
0.01% parry
0.01% block (not for DK)
reduces chance to be crit by 0.01%

At level 80, 4.91 Defense Rating = 1 Defense Skill.
At 80, Defense will cap at 540(687-688 rating)

But it doesnt add " parry rating" or "dodge rating". It simply adds only x%.

Next time imigrid, just read more on internet, or go into game, put something with defense on yourself and you will see :) There is no need to trust each word (even if it's CoI -.-).

imigrid
16-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Actually, i was heading back into this thread to confirm that defense does increase dodge/parry chance.

Wich was my original point, i simply typed "rating" by mistake.