View Full Version : Steam error "This game is currently unavailable, please try again at a later time"

imigrid
23-11-2008, 12:03 AM
This is really starting to become a very annoying issue.

I started having this problem some weeks ago, but i didnt play much of any Valve game at the time and expected that it would get sorted by itself, judging by what the error told me.

Basicly, i cannot launch any of my Valve games. Not a single one.
Whenever i attempt to launch one, i get the error message "This game is currently unavailable, please try again at a later time".

I had just paid for and downloaded Left 4 Dead, and was naturaly, very exited.
After the download i am confronted with the issue once more, at the most unfitting time.

I went to try and find all the support i could find.

I read through and attempted the FAQ support made for exactly this issue.

-Restart Steam. (nope)
-Delete clientregistry.blob file. (nope)
-Exit Steam and delete everything under the Steam installation directory except Steam.exe and the /SteamApps folder. (nope)
-Verify cache (nope)
-Find and shut off HL.exe in the prosess list. (couldnt even find it)
-Make a shortcut for the games down to the desktop. (didnt work either)
-Reinstall games. (nope)
-Shut down firewall and spyware. (no result)

There just seems to be nothing more to do!

I have googled my ass off, and i cannot find any other forum, any other blog, any other FAQ that gives any other info apart from what i just wrote.

Mostly, i have just seen that if all else fails...format...
Thats something i hope i can avoid, and i have played CSS and Savage 2 witouth any problems whatsoever, so my system specs are hopefully out of the question.
Something happened along the way, and it should be fixable witouth having to format.

I have found some info saying i should make sure my Steam folders are not set to "Read-only"...
Im sorry mister but my PC is set to the norwegian language, and i have been unable to find anything in the properties that resembles this.

If there are anyone in these forums, that have managed to get it to work by doing something i have not written down, please share.
I want to kill zombies with Thordyn and CO.

Thanks ;)

Harr
23-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Wild guess... firewall blocking?

imigrid
23-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Ahh i forgot to add that to the list aswell.
I have attempted to turn off firewall.
The one in the router, aswell as my PC.

There is no spyware preventing either.

Thanks for helping though ^^

imigrid
23-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Seems the Read-only, is equal to "skrivebeskyttet" in norwegian text.
Rather obvios now that i think about it for a second time. -.-

Anyways, it did not fix the issue either.
I attempt to uncheck it, but it resets to being checked as soon as i hit OK.
So i dunno what i can do to force it to stay unchecked, sadly, im not a computer expert.

imigrid
23-11-2008, 02:45 AM
People are telling me to launch the game from the folder itself, not in steam.
But clicking these launchers makes me run them through steam anyhow, and i am now sitting here wondering how i can make that NOT happen.

God this is annoying...

imigrid
23-11-2008, 03:53 AM
HOLY CRAP!
I decided to download the L4D dedicated server from the steam tools tab just for the heck of it. It had L4D written on it so i decided to just try and see if it changed anything.(fully knowing the purpose of a dedicated server ofc)
Ran it, got a firewall message, removed the blocking, stopped the server, attempted to launch L4D and it worked...
I mean wtf?

How can it not work when i turned off firewall completely, but works when i give it a bypass?

Anyways, gonna play around with this game abit and attempt the same thing with any other game.

Harr
24-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Turning off doesn't necessarily disable the firewall.. only uninstalling or even in worse cases only complete operating system reinstall will remove the (software) firewall.

imigrid
25-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Hmm, thats nice to know, thanks :)

Flawless
27-11-2008, 06:30 PM
if this happens, and you've done all what was mentioned installing steam over the top of itself should work